Sony NW-ZX300
Apr 8, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #6,033 of 12,862
@audioaudioaudio I tired the L27 the other way round and it does not work when im trying to send audio from an Android phone to the zx300 in DAC mode.

Apr 9, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #6,036 of 12,862
Ah, I thought you exchanged the zx300 for the 1A. Well you can always try to ignore it and don't listen to anything else. :) Me I'm too neurotic it would drive me bonkers. Even if I get a tiny ding or scratch I have to get a new player. I dinged my green ak70 almost imperceptible to notice- but I knew it was there. And then bought a black one, which I ended up dropping in the toilet :frowning2:

I know this sounds goofy, but have you tried upgrading the firmware if it's not the latest?
Hah regarding scratches. I have this as well every now and then with certain hardware I purchase. What helps me is to scratch it myself a little bit in a location you do not immediately see. If you then get another scratch it's just that "another" scratch. The first one hurts to me, if you do it yourself, less so.

Apr 9, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #6,038 of 12,862
the n3apb is cheaper if you don't mind not having a SE cable. Got mine from accessory jack

http://www.accessoryjack.com/sony-x...h-4-4-mm-balanced-connection-cable-black.html
The ZX300 (arriving today :o2smile:) will be the only 4.4mm jack in all my gear, I think I fancy the flexibility of using the N3 with a standard 3.5mm with other stuff, I've been after a new pair of in ears for a while and I always like the Amazon returns. Plus it will give me a good chance to compare the 3.5mm and 4.4mm and see how well things burn in over time - hoping it'll be like an added bonus of a mini solo audio experiment.

Apr 9, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #6,039 of 12,862
Any sq differences between this and the wm1a?
In short for balanced output opinions vary from 'differences are inaudible' to 'subtle differences' to 'definitely a step up'.
I'm in the first camp, I couldn't tell them apart in the blind test on my music.
But I also can't hear differences between different cables in a blind test, so I'm probably not the best reference :o2smile:

Psychoacoustics is a definite factor in those ones. People who own a WM1A are much more likely to hear the difference than the ones who don't.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #6,040 of 12,862
A couple general questions that've been on my mind.

1) is it possible to use the zx300 as a direct source, i.e. line-out playback to an external amp, skipping the zx300's amp section? Just wondering since I might start saving up for a stationary (tube) amp, finally. If yes, what hardware is used to do so?

2) I know music can be added by simple drag-n-drop to the micro-sd in a simple folder structure under a main folder of 'music.' But does adding music to the player's internal memory require proprietary software, or is it also drag-n-drop while the player is connected to the PC? (i.e. the player appears as a drive)

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #6,041 of 12,862
is it possible to use the zx300 as a direct source, i.e. line-out playback to an amp, skipping the zx300's amp section? Just wondering since I might start saving up for a stationary amp, finally. If yes, what hardware is used to do so?
Not that I'm aware of. ZX300 has a System-on-Chip that does both dac and amp functions, so 'amping' can't be bypassed.

I know music can be added by simple drag-n-drop to the micro-sd in a simple folder structure under a main folder of 'music.' But does adding music to the player's internal memory require proprietary software, or is it also drag-n-drop while the player is connected to the PC? (i.e. the player appears as a drive)
Yes, intenral storage works the same way as SD card does.

Apr 9, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #6,042 of 12,862
Hah regarding scratches. I have this as well every now and then with certain hardware I purchase. What helps me is to scratch it myself a little bit in a location you do not immediately see. If you then get another scratch it's just that "another" scratch. The first one hurts to me, if you do it yourself, less so.

I can tell you the aluminum on the ak70 is on the softer side, I dropped it like literally 4 inches and it hit the wood corner of my desk and dented the part that the official case didn't cover. The Sony oem case has everything pretty much protected.

Apr 9, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #6,043 of 12,862
Not that I'm aware of. ZX300 has a System-on-Chip that does both dac and amp functions, so 'amping' can't be bypassed.

Well, that's a bummer but not a deal breaker of course. I need to do some research on a good stationary source then. (Not my PC.) Fortunately not in a hurry, the zx300 has enough output. Just thought it would be fun to build one of those DIY tube kits.

Is the WM1A the same??

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #6,044 of 12,862
Well, that's a bummer but not a deal breaker of course. I need to do some research on a good stationary source then. (Not my PC.) Fortunately not in a hurry, the zx300 has enough output. Just thought it would be fun to build one of those DIY tube kits.

Is the WM1A the same??
yes, all s-master hx devices are, e.g. wm1a/z

If you're looking for a totl dap with good line out - take a look at LPG and A&K Kann. However those two are bulky and I can't call them summer-friendly.
And if you want a semi-stationary source, I couldn't find anything better than Alo Audio Continental Dual Mono. You can use ZX300 as a digital source for it and have one of the best transportable sources money can buy. I'm planning to buy one some time this year.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back