Sony NW-ZX300
Apr 6, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #6,001 of 12,862
Beninzorjp,

I Thought this was interesting. I’m not the only one! At least one person has noticed something similar to me, albeit not with a SONY dap, but you get the idea. I honestly hypothesize the clock circuit, and the fact that it is one with the amp in this h master amp, and the fact that burn in is needed, points in the direction that it may stabilize after the required burn in. Maybe something similar to your thought on the distortion caused by a balanced cable.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=1058&page=2

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #6,003 of 12,862
ZX300 still cannot create new playlists. Only the WM1A/Z can create new playlists on the player.

Apr 6, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #6,004 of 12,862
I’ll have to see if ALAC sounds as good as FLAC. how is it as far as efficiency of file size by comparison? I haven’t made any ALAC Yet. That’s a good idea to try that.

EDIT: just found I have an ALAC of paul McCartny and wings as well as thriller on my Walkman. I guess I DID mess with ALAC at some point. Not super impressed. But then again, comparing these albums to the FLAC i made of bill Evans at the village van guard is not really a comparison. I would have to compare apples to apples.

Slightly higher pitch again with ALAC, but not as pronounced and somewhat more “livable”. Hehe.
I haven’t noticed a difference between FLAC and ALAC. I think FLAC is a bit more efficient than ALAC. I use ALAC because it allows me to have my library in iTunes. More than 90% of the files in my zx300 are ALAC.

Apr 6, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #6,005 of 12,862
Oh crap! You can make playlists on the WM1A, on the player! Not sure if it’s a firmware update, as mine came with 2.0 for the WM1A. Is it possible yet with the zx-300? Check for a firmware update ZX300 friends!
Yes, the zx300 can’t create playlists. Another thing I noticed is that if the playlist is in the internal memory, you can’t add songs from the microSD card and vice-versa. For that reason I’m using Bookmarks instead!

Apr 7, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #6,006 of 12,862
I remember that noise well, and falling asleep to it as child. It was actually comforting in a strange way.
I think I've found the problem, as a child being soothed off to sleep by the high pitched sound emitted from the old crt tv has had a serious impact on your ability to hear things in the normal world. You now hear things as a dog, dolphin or bat hears them - hence, audio equipment designed for the hearing of mere humans causes issues for you. SOLVED

Apr 7, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #6,007 of 12,862
I think I've found the problem, as a child being soothed off to sleep by the high pitched sound emitted from the old crt tv has had a serious impact on your ability to hear things in the normal world. You now hear things as a dog, dolphin or bat hears them - hence, audio equipment designed for the hearing of mere humans causes issues for you. SOLVED
Hahahahahaha:)

Apr 7, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #6,008 of 12,862
Nice weekends...
I did not buy the balanced socket for my zx300 yet. I have hd6xx and hifiman4xx and happy with them now but I was hoping zx300 will drive them better.. sure it will get better on balanced output but is there anyone here uses a portable headphone amp that will not change the sound character of zx300?
I also have a xduoo-05 dac/amp. Which Planning to upgrade with bursonv6 opams... does it worth it?
may I have your opinions please..

Apr 7, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #6,009 of 12,862
I've had issues with using mp3tag since getting the ZX300 (had no issues with my ZX100). Previously tagged files worked fine but anything new just won't display. I don't understand what baseline etc is so tried using tagscanner and simply used the recompress feature which has worked perfectly.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #6,010 of 12,862
I've had issues with using mp3tag since getting the ZX300 (had no issues with my ZX100). Previously tagged files worked fine but anything new just won't display. I don't understand what baseline etc is so tried using mp3tagger and simply used the recompress feature which has worked perfectly.
TagScanner also does a great job at resizing the art work while being a very decent tag editor.

Apr 7, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #6,011 of 12,862
TagScanner also does a great job at resizing the art work while being a very decent tag editor.
That's the one, Tagscanner, I got the name wrong.
It takes time to get used to a new program, but I already much prefer how it displays the album art options/info - mp3tag had you going back and forth a couple of steps if you didn't like the art you selected from the text only list.

Apr 8, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #6,012 of 12,862
Anyone go balanced with the 99C?

IMG_20180408_092858.jpg

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #6,013 of 12,862
I solved the playlist creation problem.

Quick background: I bought a Japan-only model and used SonyNWDestTool to change the region to "E".

Before the change, I poked around and remember seeing the T9-style keypad come up when I attempted to create a playlist; but since it was all in japanese, I couldn't read/figure out what it was actually doing so I cancelled it out.

So, I changed region to "E", reset all settings, changed language to english, then got to know the unit and played music; then discovered I couldn't create playlists! Any playlist I placed on the SD Card showed up as "not editable"; and with a Mac, I couldn't use music go to create and import playlists.

Then I remembered how in "J" region mode I was able to get some sort of T9-keyboard to create and name things.

So;

I changed the region setting *Back* to "J", and reset all settings.

After the reboot, the language was still set to English!

And guess what I see..
L802ug3l.jpg

Through that, I'm able to create playlists, and add music to them! Looking on the SD card, I see it creating the playlists at /MUSIC/<name>.M3U8.

xmJf8TRl.jpg

Also looking in the playlist view; my old playlists are showing as "Not Editable", but the playlists created from this menu are editable and do not show that grey text:
9TJlVH4l.jpg

So, TL;DR - if you have a Japan-only unit: set english as language, set region back to "J" with nwdesttool, reset all settings, and you shoudl be good to go:

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #6,014 of 12,862
I solved the playlist creation problem.

Quick background: I bought a Japan-only model and used SonyNWDestTool to change the region to "E".

Before the change, I poked around and remember seeing the T9-style keypad come up when I attempted to create a playlist; but since it was all in japanese, I couldn't read/figure out what it was actually doing so I cancelled it out.

So, I changed region to "E", reset all settings, changed language to english, then got to know the unit and played music; then discovered I couldn't create playlists! Any playlist I placed on the SD Card showed up as "not editable"; and with a Mac, I couldn't use music go to create and import playlists.

Then I remembered how in "J" region mode I was able to get some sort of T9-keyboard to create and name things.

So;

I changed the region setting *Back* to "J", and reset all settings.

After the reboot, the language was still set to English!

And guess what I see..
L802ug3l.jpg

Through that, I'm able to create playlists, and add music to them! Looking on the SD card, I see it creating the playlists at /MUSIC/<name>.M3U8.

xmJf8TRl.jpg

Also looking in the playlist view; my old playlists are showing as "Not Editable", but the playlists created from this menu are editable and do not show that grey text:
9TJlVH4l.jpg

So, TL;DR - if you have a Japan-only unit: set english as language, set region back to "J" with nwdesttool, reset all settings, and you shoudl be good to go:

Great hack, thanks!

Apr 8, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #6,015 of 12,862
Would be nice to see this in the next update as it is already possible for the Japanese model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back