Sony NW-ZX300
Apr 6, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #5,971 of 12,862
We are talking about the same file played on different systems which got initially ripped from a CD. If sony really changes the pitch then this would be huge, I mean an audiophile player that fu*** up the audio like this?
There's possibility that his ears are really that sensitive. My friend sometimes or often complain of what we think as non existent issue with the music we were listening, Or of course, there's also other possibility that his mac is f*up lol

Apr 6, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #5,972 of 12,862
There's possibility that his ears are really that sensitive. My friend sometimes or often complain of what we think as non existent issue with the music we were listening, Or of course, there's also other possibility that his mac is f*up lol
Well than it is easy, since you have two devices playing it the same and the mac playing it different, the mac is the issue, case closed. :)

Apr 6, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #5,973 of 12,862
Does anyone have this case - https://www.amazon.co.uk/MITER-Case-NW-ZX300-Patented-AshBrown/dp/B077N5N2CF/ ?

Would the silicone one mentioned a few posts up (£3.99) cause issues with overheating? The Miter leather looks nice but is quite expensive.

On this one, it sounds a bit barmy, Magnepan Man can you upload one or two of the offending files somewhere? I'd be very interested to try and hear any pitch issues. I have known some weird pitch problems with incorrect sample rate tagging on an encoded file on an old device (can't remember what it was now) but not the problems you're having and crazy you still have it with the FLAC. Maybe the comment about super sensitive ears is right, is there an X-Men like that?? Professor ZX? :ksc75smile:

Apr 6, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #5,975 of 12,862
I've been playing piano since 8 years old and guitar since 11, I tune by ear and transpose music. I suspect we have more than me on here that can tune say a guitar by ear and know what a C# sounds like. I hear zero pitch deviation on mine, and if they're were I'd know it. Plus I haven't read of other cases of the pitch being off on zx300, or other sonys. If this were a hardware problem Shirley there would be others :)

Maybe try another device besides the mac?

I might just put some files on my Mac later and give it a listen. I've never listened to anything on it before, and I have all windows machines now but I'm curious.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #5,976 of 12,862
I've been playing piano since 8 years old and guitar since 11, I tune by ear and transpose music. I suspect we have more than me on here that can tune say a guitar by ear and know what a C# sounds like. I hear zero pitch deviation on mine, and if they're were I'd know it. Plus I haven't read of other cases of the pitch being off on zx300, or other sonys. If this were a hardware problem Shirley there would be others :)

Maybe try another device besides the mac?

Hmm, lesson: don't use mac? LOL
OK, joke aside, i think I'm gonna lend my zx to my pitch-sensitive friend :p

Apr 6, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #5,977 of 12,862
Did you ever try it on a different machine than your MAC? It could just be the other way around that your mac for whatever reason has the wrong ptich and the sony players are "correct".
All my other digital devices are definitely in concurance with my Mac. It is only when I play the song does this issue become a nuisance. Remember, the music in my collection has been burned into my brain for years and years. Played on countless devices within that time, and only now with the SONY, does it sound off key. It’s repeatable, every time. I have no doubt that the Mac is playing the file properly.

Apr 6, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #5,980 of 12,862
Well than it is easy, since you have two devices playing it the same and the mac playing it different, the mac is the issue, case closed. :)
I

Maybe, but we all know our music very well and have moved on from a previous player to the ZX300, and we are all listening hard (if that makes sense?) for the subtle differences/improvements of both the SE and balanced - so I'm wondering why as obsessed with sound as many of us are, we are not detecting something that should be quite obvious as a pitch difference.
I'm suspecting the mac may be the problem.
I’m thinking if it is the Mac, than it’s not something that is isn’t affecting the playback of the file on the Mac, but something is changing the file during the TRANSFER to the Sony, which his why I can’t find the cause of it. It should not harm a file when simply dragging and dropping from folder to folder, using no extraneous software. I don’t have another computer, unfortunately to see. And then, even if I were to get another computer, I would have to burn fresh files from that computer as transferring from the Mac to the new computer might very well send these “curroputed” files, causing the tail chasing to continue.

Btw, for those of you who have listed to see if you notice what I do, you’re better off playing small passages of three seconds to compare. Like the opening notes of a song, not listening to entire songs then switching. You want to get a section of a melody and ABABABABABABAB. Middle C won’t be middle C on the sony. Try at your own risk, because if you notice it, depending on how sensitive you are to it, your going to be mad at me for pointing this out. Lol. Like they say, ignorance or bliss.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #5,981 of 12,862
When I'm doing a comparison for sound purposes, I always listen to snippets and parts of songs that I'm familiar with before switching the source. And I hate to say but there is no pitch difference whatsoever comparing my zx300 to all my other sources. Either you have the worst luck in the world and got 2 defective units, or something else is amiss.

I would suggest to go back to the store where you purchased it from and take your mac and do some a/b ing to maybe some display Sonys and see if you can hear the pitch difference. And if you don't hear the defect ask for that particular unit, if you don't mind a display unit. Although if you say it sounds different from all your sources then it's harder to blame the mac if all your files are encoded the same. If that's the case I would return it and go with another brand. You will never be satisfied if you think the pitch is off even a little bit. I know I wouldn't.

Apr 6, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #5,982 of 12,862
Apr 6, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #5,983 of 12,862
Okay, I finally jumped in and joined the portable DAP crowd. Haven't owned a DAP since I had my iPod Nano 4th generation (for the gym). The tipping point for me was that the NW-ZX300 does LDAC, as I own a pair of MDR-1000x (first generation). I'm planning to use it with my HEKv2 around the house (ordered a 4.4mm cable) and with the MDR-1000x when commuting. Hoping the NW-ZX300 is worth the price.

Apr 6, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #5,984 of 12,862
Apr 6, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #5,985 of 12,862
When I'm doing a comparison for sound purposes, I always listen to snippets and parts of songs that I'm familiar with before switching the source. And I hate to say but there is no pitch difference whatsoever comparing my zx300 to all my other sources. Either you have the worst luck in the world and got 2 defective units, or something else is amiss.

I would suggest to go back to the store where you purchased it from and take your mac and do some a/b ing to maybe some display Sonys and see if you can hear the pitch difference. And if you don't hear the defect ask for that particular unit, if you don't mind a display unit. Although if you say it sounds different from all your sources then it's harder to blame the mac if all your files are encoded the same. If that's the case I would return it and go with another brand. You will never be satisfied if you think the pitch is off even a little bit. I know I wouldn't.
Unfortunately, the WM1A didn’t come from a brick and mortor. I know what you are saying. It just sounds sooooo goooooood. Hahaha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back