Sony NW-ZX300
Apr 4, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #5,941 of 12,862
I have also read that JRiver have a great Library management and Music playing software called JRMC which also works on a mac.
https://www.jriver.com/mac.html

Apr 4, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #5,942 of 12,862
To listen to flac music you can either use open source players like vlc or mpv or if you want itunes integration you can have a look at either audirvana or roon.

I forgot the sony player can also play FLAC files.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #5,943 of 12,862
Ok wow, I just got my AT T8iE MKII and WOW! First they are tiny and so light, so I put my silicone ue900/ 700 tips on them and out of the box they sound UNREAL with this dap. I just listenend to hi res Joe Satriani flying a blue dream and... I just can't put it into words, the bass gave me goosebumps and the rest sounded so detailed that every iem I've listened to sounds like a joke.

I had myself being unimpressed by these just like the 800 dollar re800s but they are really something and SO comfy, and this is all out of the box! And I thought the it01 sounded clear lol.

Anyways I will have a mint it01 to sell very cheap, I already have sound magic ie80 for active use. I'm listening to hd fleetwood mac rumours and the texture I hear on the guitars is hard to describe. Amazing! If you can afford them I say buy them. I listened to SE out before balanced and that sounded godly. Oh dear lord the bass on 'dreams' has never had so much depth and presence. Everything else sounds thin and toy like.

True story.

It sounds like a multi thousand dollar speaker system is strapped to your head! Pics to follow later so you can see how small these little wonders are.

Lol ok now I just heard the bass drum at the beginning of 'the chain' and I've never heard it sound so real and with depth from any headphone or iem, I'm gobsmacked on how these tiny things sound. It reminds me of when I took top shelf infinity mini speakers and paired them with a 1 bit Kenwood md car stereo and those speakers were right on my headboard and sounded so good with that car unit so 3d and the treble was so tingly and alive and the bass well you could feel it knock you around but it integrated perfectly with the lush mids and nothing was buried.

Hard to describe, the zx300 scales like a bitch!

The bass is brutal on these with no flab whatsoever, This makes the re800 look like a joke. I realize now that excellent bass is hard to copy, and now I'm on 'you make loving fun' and the bass is beyond belief! Pink Floyd dsotm next to check the sound stage, which appears to be very 3d.

And I'm sorry I'm on an iem tangent, but I honestly don't think many sources could make the ak t8ie mkii shine like this :)

Just a quick ty for pointing these out, I'd been thinking about trying another dynamic IEM (still remember the grins of first using the old IE8) and have just picked up a pair of these, alas not as cheaply as I'd hoped but still worth it. :)

Still using the stock SE cable (burning in my SE port at the same time :wink: ) and tips for now, definatly pair well with the zx300. Very much like the IE8s were for lite/fit/comfort and great low end but without the muffled upper end that made me move back to Shures. Just need to figure out some better isolating tips that don't mess with the sound from the odd oval ports and see if I can move the remote onto the very thin cable till the SE port is burnt in and I can swap to my balanced cable. :)

Apr 4, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #5,944 of 12,862
I can't comment on the balanced of either player because I still haven't decided which route I will take to enter the world of balanced. However, I can state that I hear a difference right away between the two in SE. The wm1a being better for sure. Again, not amazingly better, but undeniably better. The DSEE changed my mind on my hatred for signal processing. It's great.

SE sounds very good on the ZX , so the wm1a sounds a definite upgrade.

Apr 4, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #5,945 of 12,862
Just a quick ty for pointing these out, I'd been thinking about trying another dynamic IEM (still remember the grins of first using the old IE8) and have just picked up a pair of these, alas not as cheaply as I'd hoped but still worth it. :)

Still using the stock SE cable (burning in my SE port at the same time :wink: ) and tips for now, definatly pair well with the zx300. Very much like the IE8s were for lite/fit/comfort and great low end but without the muffled upper end that made me move back to Shures. Just need to figure out some better isolating tips that don't mess with the sound from the odd oval ports and see if I can move the remote onto the very thin cable till the SE port is burnt in and I can swap to my balanced cable. :)

The cables are kind of crap, I had to send the SE one back to pro sound studio because the right side just kind of popped out of the tiny stress relief. But the balanced is holding up nicely and I just have to find a cable I like. Anyways you can pretty much use spinfits, sony hybrids, or ultimate ear tips- what I'm using and they stay on pretty good despite the oval sound tube, and you get a better seal- I didn't like the included oval tips.

I listens to 1984 remasterd by vh yesterday and on hot for teacher I never really noticed he switches ride cymbals a couple of times because they all kind of sounded the same to me, even with UE 900. I don't know if it's just the beyers or the combo with the zx300, but there is so much texture and resolution of tone, if that makes sense. Everything is an 11 out of 9 sound wise compared to what I'm used to. Glad you're enjoying them :)

I just moved my spoiled dog off my comfy super padded leather 'listening' chair and she is tearing up her dog bed and giving me the 'evil eye' she was asleep too so she's really triggered. Pets is so fun, the dog is probably like ' What' they're are 3 other places to sit in here why did he pick 'my' chair!

Fit pics

P_20180404_120125_1.jpg

P_20180404_120157_1.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #5,946 of 12,862
May well be. I’m trying to pull myself out of that rabbit hole and enjoy these amazing players SONY put out. Life can be too short not to enjoy what we have, and not focus too much on the small stuff. Truth is, I’m very lucky that the “problems” I’m my life are that my 1000 dollar Walkman is not playing exactly the way I want it. If this wasn’t an audio forum, I would be too embarrassed to discuss it with anyone else.

Hey I totally understand if something sounded off pitch to me, it would drive me crazy. At least the 1A is helping you through the pain :wink: I looked at that baby but I'm weird and like smaller daps like ak70, cowon plenue d, shanling m2 etc etc, the zx300 is bigger than I like, if Sony made a smaller high end dap with balanced I'd be on it like white on rice. I had the A35 and loved the sound and form factor, but the balanced on the zx300 intrigued me and the peer pressure from this thread lol.

Well I could never be happy with the a35's sound- after the 300. Ignorance is bliss as they say. Anyways I hope you get it totally ironed out, hopefully it's file related and not hardware, because that would mean all the rest of us are tone deaf :wink:

Apr 4, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #5,947 of 12,862
Hey I totally understand if something sounded off pitch to me, it would drive me crazy. At least the 1A is helping you through the pain :wink: I looked at that baby but I'm weird and like smaller daps like ak70, cowon plenue d, shanling m2 etc etc, the zx300 is bigger than I like, if Sony made a smaller high end dap with balanced I'd be on it like white on rice. I had the A35 and loved the sound and form factor, but the balanced on the zx300 intrigued me and the peer pressure from this thread lol.

Well I could never be happy with the a35's sound- after the 300. Ignorance is bliss as they say. Anyways I hope you get it totally ironed out, hopefully it's file related and not hardware, because that would mean all the rest of us are tone deaf :wink:

So you went for the ZX because it's more portable than the Wm1a, but did you get a chance to compare the sound?

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #5,948 of 12,862
So you went for the ZX because it's more portable than the Wm1a, but did you get a chance to compare the sound?

Oh sorry, I only heard the wm1Z, not the 1A. And that thing is really heavy, but it sounds really nice, as it should. I personally would never consider either no matter how they sound, I just like smaller daps. I can live with zx300 as it's smallish.

I'm sure the wm1a sounds better, but from what I hear not by much. The zx300 is the nicest sounding dap I've owned, so I'm good- until maybe the Sony anniversary model, unless it's huge :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #5,949 of 12,862
So I'm a new owner of the zx300 I love this thing. It's size is what I wanted over the wm1a and if I'm paying all that extra for just a extra inch or two of screen I'll pass. Now I'm using it balanced with my focal elear. I want to say that after I changed the settings from -3db to 0 and set the gain to high it was litterly making my elears pop at Max volume I love this thing.

Apr 4, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #5,950 of 12,862
So I'm a new owner of the zx300 I love this thing. It's size is what I wanted over the wm1a and if I'm paying all that extra for just a extra inch or two of screen I'll pass. Now I'm using it balanced with my focal elear. I want to say that after I changed the settings from -3db to 0 and set the gain to high it was litterly making my elears pop at Max volume I love this thing.
You mean HG right .. What you said sounded very much like the gain setting in "DSD Playback Settings"

Apr 4, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #5,951 of 12,862
I thought at first the high gain settings had a negative effect on sound quality but further listening and letting my ears adjust it's actually amazing how these pair with over ear headphones. My hd800 can't really be drivin my these but the sony z1rs definitely sound great with these. Great synergy.

Apr 5, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #5,952 of 12,862
Quick question
Mobile Apps do not currently allow MQA streaming but UAPP does get you the first unfold with Master tracks showing as 24/88 or 24/96

This works with Z5 S7 S8 phones I have. I've not had a XZ1. Don't use EQ so not tried for streaming

I've had a search and can't seem to find an answer to this question - Does the ZX300 EQ work when using the USB DAC? As mentioned in an earlier post I was hoping to stream Tidal on my old Z1 compact and use the USB OTG to plug into a ZX300 and listen via that.

I know some purists prefer to stay clear of the EQ but it really helps for me and some of my listening environments / music listening to.

Apr 5, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #5,953 of 12,862
Quick question

I've had a search and can't seem to find an answer to this question - Does the ZX300 EQ work when using the USB DAC? As mentioned in an earlier post I was hoping to stream Tidal on my old Z1 compact and use the USB OTG to plug into a ZX300 and listen via that.

I know some purists prefer to stay clear of the EQ but it really helps for me and some of my listening environments / music listening to.
No, you can't use any DSP while in DAC mode

Apr 5, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #5,954 of 12,862
No, you can't use any DSP while in DAC mode
Hi, thanks for confirming that, bit of a shame but thought it might be the case. Annoyingly the Xperia Z1 Compact I have has a half decent equalizer but it doesn't work with Tidal, it does with Spotify but something to do with Sony requiring that App Developers actively choose to use the global EQ.

Apr 5, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #5,955 of 12,862
Hi, thanks for confirming that, bit of a shame but thought it might be the case. Annoyingly the Xperia Z1 Compact I have has a half decent equalizer but it doesn't work with Tidal, it does with Spotify but something to do with Sony requiring that App Developers actively choose to use the global EQ.
When plugging in a USB source (iPhone 7 in my case with a CCK cable) both the equalizer and tone controls work. It's one of the big perks of using this unit as a DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back