Sony NW-ZX300
Apr 2, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #5,912 of 12,862
Another problem that the NW-ZX300 has with cover art is that it looks like it does not display it, if it is too small in size (in kbytes)... I have not understood too well where the threshold is, but 30-50k looks like it's too small, while from 200k on looks to be ok. It COULD also be that all of my small size JPGs were ALSO progressive scans, but I did not check that, tbh. What I did was simply loook for higher sized images for the cover art that was not displaying (which I identified simply by looking at album view, and jotting them down), and replace them with MP3Tag.... thankfully there not too many of them, on a 256GB micro SD. And again, I did not check for progressive JPGs, and they all worked (could be simply 'cos higher sized images are not progressive JPGs, ofc :)). Pity, in a way, as I always preferred lower sized images, normally.

BTW, the manual does say: "The Walkman may not display cover art depending on the file format." which would seem to indicate that the fault lies in the format, rather than simply the size.

Forget the file size, file size doesn't tell you much, it's the resolution that is more important. As a general rule, I use cover art that is between 300 pixel by 300 pixel to 500 pixel by 500 pixel baseline jpeg for maximum compatibility. Anything smaller than 300 pixels will look blurry on the screen and on the PC monitor in software like Roon and Media Go, anything bigger than 500 pixel is fairly useless as the screen size on DAP players aren't big enough to see the finer details.

Apr 2, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #5,913 of 12,862
Forget the file size, file size doesn't tell you much, it's the resolution that is more important. As a general rule, I use cover art that is between 300 pixel by 300 pixel to 500 pixel by 500 pixel baseline jpeg for maximum compatibility. Anything smaller than 300 pixels will look blurry on the screen and on the PC monitor in software like Roon and Media Go, anything bigger than 500 pixel is fairly useless as the screen size on DAP players aren't big enough to see the finer details.
hey nana, i see you got the cascade. how is it with the zx300?

i just pulled the trigger, but it will be a couple of weeks until it arrived here.

Apr 2, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #5,914 of 12,862

Generally speaking, I'd agree with you... on the NW-ZX300, though, it really looked to me as the physical size might have mattered, in deciding what was displayed and what wasn't. But I solved my issues, so I'm fine, now, with my cover art, whatever resolution it is in :) .

Apr 2, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #5,915 of 12,862
Resolution does matter for looks and size does matter for display fluidity (which depends on CPU power and library size).
Sub-100Kb 500x500 pictures are usually a good compromise for current DAPs.
600x600 can help detail freaks, but the size is usually more in the 100-200kb area, which can slow down cover display when browsing with less powerful DAPs/phones.
It's a pain, but I usually embed 500x500 cover arts and keep a higher res file in the folder for the day we can display higher res covers without fluidity sacrifice.

Apr 2, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #5,917 of 12,862
Hi..
When I transfer the flac or dsd files to music folder by copy-paste or sony music center, some of the folders became empty.. some not?.
I could play the same files in my galaxy note4 or foobar2000 via xduoo-05 with no problem..
So sad about this situation and dont know what to do.. :frowning2:

Apr 2, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #5,918 of 12,862
Resolution does matter for looks and size does matter for display fluidity (which depends on CPU power and library size).
Sub-100Kb 500x500 pictures are usually a good compromise for current DAPs.
600x600 can help detail freaks, but the size is usually more in the 100-200kb area, which can slow down cover display when browsing with less powerful DAPs/phones.
It's a pain, but I usually embed 500x500 cover arts and keep a higher res file in the folder for the day we can display higher res covers without fluidity sacrifice.

I always did the same... on the NW-ZX300, though, my definite impression was that it does NOT like small sizes, skipping over them. Though that might be connected to the progressive JPG alleged issue that somebody else mentioned, and only incidentally connected to size.

Apr 2, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #5,919 of 12,862
Hi..
When I transfer the flac or dsd files to music folder by copy-paste or sony music center, some of the folders became empty.. some not?.
I could play the same files in my galaxy note4 or foobar2000 via xduoo-05 with no problem..
So sad about this situation and dont know what to do.. :frowning2:

Make sure you have a folder called "MUSIC" then put all your music files/folders in there. I wouldn't worry about using the Sony software.

Also DSD won't play if it's in ISO format.

Apr 2, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #5,920 of 12,862
I think DSD in dsf dff will play

Apr 3, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #5,922 of 12,862
Make sure you have a folder called "MUSIC" then put all your music files/folders in there. I wouldn't worry about using the Sony software.

Also DSD won't play if it's in ISO format.

Yes.. I am doing all these things as they had to be..
I think my problem is about the files I downloaded.. bitrates, corrupted info files etc.
So grateful gerelmx1986 .. thanks a lot for your intereset..

Apr 3, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #5,923 of 12,862
Hi everyone, I have returned my Zx-300 and have moved on. The pitch issue was too much for me to really enjoy the music. I have however stayed in the SONY family, and have moved to the WM1A, which I just received today.

As we would all like to believe that the zx-300 is a shrunken WM-1, as good as it’s Sonics are, it is edged out by the WM1A. Fresh out of the box, my WM1A sounds more transparent, and slightly more refined than than my ZX300 with roughly 175hours on it. Yes, they sound similar, but there is no denying the wm1 is superior. It has better sub bass, more defined stage, and just sounds more high end. It is able to extract slightly more micro detail, and this is all with zero break in. I’m excited to hear it once the caps burn in. It also sounds much more powerful than the extra 10mw would suggest from the SE output. It is probably not worth the extra expense over the zx, but if you can find a good deal on one and not pay the retail difference, and don’t mind the extra weight, (I actually like the extra weight) it’s the superior player.

Thanks for all your help here. Btw, I now have an OEM ZX-300 case in excellent condition with a brand new, never opened silicon sleeve for the unit up for grabs. PM me if you’re interested. :wink:. Thanks again and enjoy the music!!!

Apr 3, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #5,924 of 12,862
Hi everyone, I have returned my Zx-300 and have moved on. The pitch issue was too much for me to really enjoy the music. I have however stayed in the SONY family, and have moved to the WM1A, which I just received today.

As we would all like to believe that the zx-300 is a shrunken WM-1, as good as it’s Sonics are, it is edged out by the WM1A. Fresh out of the box, my WM1A sounds more transparent, and slightly more refined than than my ZX300 with roughly 175hours on it. Yes, they sound similar, but there is no denying the wm1 is superior. It has better sub bass, more defined stage, and just sounds more high end. It is able to extract slightly more micro detail, and this is all with zero break in. I’m excited to hear it once the caps burn in. It also sounds much more powerful than the extra 10mw would suggest from the SE output. It is probably not worth the extra expense over the zx, but if you can find a good deal on one and not pay the retail difference, and don’t mind the extra weight, (I actually like the extra weight) it’s the superior player.

Thanks for all your help here. Btw, I now have an OEM ZX-300 case in excellent condition with a brand new, never opened silicon sleeve for the unit up for grabs. PM me if you’re interested. :wink:. Thanks again and enjoy the music!!!
Glad to hear you have found pitch perfection - did you let them know about the issue when you returned it?

Apr 3, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #5,925 of 12,862
Believe it or not, the WM1A has a similar “issue”, so therefore, I have decided to just stop bitching about it and get over it. I’m chalking it up to “that’s just life”. You can read more about it in the WM1A thread since I introduced myself there. I did indeed discuss my issue with the retailer I bought it from. They were very amicable and understanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back