Sony NW-ZX300
Mar 29, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #5,881 of 12,862
Yep I got 20 on my test and actually the battery lasted almost an hour or so before I finally stopped the test. Good enough for me, especially out of the balanced out on high gain. I imagine we would get close to the 30 on the SE out with mp3 files.
I would imagine so as i did the test with balanced out and HG as well

Mar 30, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #5,882 of 12,862
Am I wrong to say that zx300 sounds very analog, which is good thing to me. It reminds me of tube sound or very clean vinyl.
Yes,
nothing like this
20180330_143927.jpg

or this
20180330_144019.jpg

What tube you comparing it to?

Tubes sound different than Solid State or Sand as the tubers call it, and it's very hard to reproduce the signature bcos there are a large number of variables.
The ZX300 is the flattest sounding source I have, and there's 9 in my view right now... Marantz is more musical, Naim is more punchy and they don't even give you DSP options.

The tubes sound totally different, more airy, bassy, sparkly... it's kind of like shaking a bunch of aluminium vs steel keys... they look the same but have different weights and sound different.
Btw when I say totally different I believe all production is within 10% of each other, so we're talking about different within this 10% band.

Vinyl is lo-fi with pops, cracks, everything is mono under 120Hz, has less FR...

My view is the ZX300 is flat and digital.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #5,883 of 12,862
Then you don't know flat and digital really mean. :D

Mar 30, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #5,886 of 12,862
Then you don't know flat and digital really mean. :D

He wouldn't like the high end AK models at all :wink: All joking aside I'd love to hear a really nice tube amp with some top tier cans. I would imagine it would be very seductive, and I do like some warmth and sparkle. My experience with tube amplification was listening to my grandparents old 50's radio, it sucked. Lol

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 5:33 AM Post #5,887 of 12,862
My view is the ZX300 is flat and digital.

hmm.. i own V30+. Now that is surely very flat & digital :D

anyway, well, i can see your point though. Compared to the real tube, of course ZX300 would sounds "flat", but as far as most modern DAPs are concerned, i find ZX300 the closest to the tube and vinyl sounds. i listen solely to vinyl up till my young adult years...

Mar 30, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #5,888 of 12,862
How's the remote work? They're is only one available correct?

And when are you going to try the ie800s? :ksc75smile:
It works flawlessly (after inserting another battery). It's tinier than I thought it would be, and therefore I use it with the supplied clip to attach it to my trousers' pockets, shirt pockets, etc...
It just does all the basic: forward, back, play/pause and volume up or down. Every time you press one of these buttons, you'll see a tiny blue dot in the middle of the control pad to asssure that it's worked (for instance: if you only want one volume step up, it could be hard to notice the difference but the blue dot will tell you the volume has indeed increased with one step).

I can recommend it: AJ sent it to me before they included it in the store, but now it's up in their store as well. You might have to buy another battery though, if there's a whole batch with these defective batteries out there... But the battery was only 2 euros, so no big deal :)

Mar 30, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #5,889 of 12,862
How's the remote work? They're is only one available correct?

And when are you going to try the ie800s? :ksc75smile:

When the price is 200 euros lower than it is now on AJ :smile_phones:.
That is, unless KLipsch releases a balanced IEM first ofcourse.

I don't bother anymore with looking at other IEM's: it will be one of these two options for me.

But I've got lots of patience: my ZX300 is well over 400 hrs on SE now and paired with my KLipsch X10 it sounds so sweet now, so I'm not in a hurry at all.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #5,890 of 12,862
@abitdeef Here some pics to illustrate the size, as I realized there aren't many pics of the remote out there:
https://imgur.com/a/VtjMO
https://imgur.com/a/u1trP

You see that the remote is kid-sized almost. For those with big hands- I thought you have big hands?- the attachment of the clip makes a big difference in ergonomics.

Oh, and while it looks pretty now, it won't look so pretty anymore after a couple of months as the frame is all plastic, hence the cute little sides- which look like the ZX300's black aluminum sides- will evolve like most keyboards do: they will turn shiny. But the main purpose it to not having to fetch your ZX300 from your pockets in order to safeguard it, so...

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #5,891 of 12,862
When the price is 200 euros lower than it is now on AJ :smile_phones:.
That is, unless KLipsch releases a balanced IEM first ofcourse.

I don't bother anymore with looking at other IEM's: it will be one of these two options for me.

But I've got lots of patience: my ZX300 is well over 400 hrs on SE now and paired with my KLipsch X10 it sounds so sweet now, so I'm not in a hurry at all.

I'm in the over 400 club also:wink: but that's about 200 on each one. The akt8ie are my personal dream iems because of the fit, and of course sound. And I've been listening on SE out a lot lately because of my mee cable and it does still sound amazing.

Mar 30, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #5,892 of 12,862
@abitdeef Here some pics to illustrate the size, as I realized there aren't many pics of the remote out there:
https://imgur.com/a/VtjMO
https://imgur.com/a/u1trP

You see that the remote is kid-sized almost. For those with big hands- I thought you have big hands?- the attachment of the clip makes a big difference in ergonomics.

Oh, and while it looks pretty now, it won't look so pretty anymore after a couple of months as the frame is all plastic, hence the cute little sides- which look like the ZX300's black aluminum sides- will evolve like most keyboards do: they will turn shiny. But the main purpose it to not having to fetch your ZX300 from your pockets in order to safeguard it, so...

Omg it's tiny! Yes I have big hands but good dexterity so tiny buttons don't usually bother me. Too bad it doesn't have a tiny screen that you could navigate from. Of course that would add cost. Or like a hiby link option that the cayin players have so you can control it from your phone ( was a must with the n3 for me and those horribly placed capacitive buttons ).

But a tiny remote is cooler than your phone. :)

Mar 30, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #5,893 of 12,862
I got mine from Accessory Jack in January, but fear not, I seem to be the only one with a noticeable lower battery life.
I have always had Sony daps and know the quoted battery life is close to what I actually get - My screen brightness is on the lowest setting, no effects etc, but my bars go down quite quickly

What battery life do you seem to get? I seem to be running around 12-14h on the balanced out with only FLAC (less than 30% is higher than 16/44.1, with no DSD). Granted I'm using the 90% battery saver option.... I might need to do some actual tests.

Mar 30, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #5,894 of 12,862
What battery life do you seem to get? I seem to be running around 12-14h on the balanced out with only FLAC (less than 30% is higher than 16/44.1, with no DSD). Granted I'm using the 90% battery saver option.... I might need to do some actual tests.
That pretty much sounds like what I get. My battery test was not a proper test, meaning I had already played about an hour of flac with 2-3 restarts, and then left it playing 320kbp mp3 which took me to about 19 hours before it died on low gain. As 85% of my music is flac, 10% .dsf and 5% mp3 and I use high gain I don't really want to know what I would get using my actual everyday set up - I know that my first 2 bars go down within 4-5 hours. I still feel other people are getting better results, but as it only seems to get me diagnosed as a paranoid low battery self esteem nutcase, I have decided to accept it as normal. The link I included in an earlier post to the estimated battery life for each format is good but interestingly it fails to include 44.1 flac.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #5,895 of 12,862
i own V30+. Now that is surely very flat & digital :D
He wouldn't like the high end AK models at all :wink:
Y'all acting like flat is bad, but that's what engineers aim for, a flat RC... a friend of mine even stuck wood boxes on his wall (bass traps) to even out a 80Hz dip.

All joking aside I'd love to hear a really nice tube amp with some top tier cans. I would imagine it would be very seductive, and I do like some warmth and sparkle.
Woo Audio WA6
Woo Audio WA7

They're on Amazon; don't like'em, return'em.

http://feliksaudio.pl/en/products.php has some nice amps too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back