Sony NW-ZX300
Sep 10, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #437 of 12,862
If the 300A is directly available in the UK (or at a reasonable price via import) then I think I'd pick it over the 300. My main interest in the player is how close it gets to the WM1As SQ and the quality of the balanced output.

I pretty much treat MicroSD cards the same way that I treated cassette tapes in the early 90's and MiniDisc in the late 90's. I like keeping all my most frequently listened-to music on a little card that I can easily pop into any DAP or my Mac whenever need be.

Sep 10, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #438 of 12,862
Internal memory is not worth the price difference unless you're planning on putting over 256GB of music into the unit.. While startup might take a few more seconds. Why would you care? Not going to pay $140 for another 48GB.

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #439 of 12,862
I'd go with the 16 gig version too

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #442 of 12,862
But then again. If you're in the U.S. I would wait till Amazon US have it listed as one of the 3rd party vendor "Buywise" from Korea will usually stock unit at Amazon warehouse so you get prime shipping and returns. Because Sony set pricing level differently in each country, for some reason Sony Korea have been setting MSRP in Korean cheaper than MSRP in Japan (maybe to compete with domestic Korean electronics. Buywise have been offering Sony product with Amazon prime cheaper than I can buy it in Japan with a buying service (before service charge and shipping). I bought my NW-A30 and my MUC-12SB1 through them with no problem so I'm going to hold on and see if they start stocking the ZX300 at Amazon before I go hunting for one overseas.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #443 of 12,862
there is a reason why sony china have aggressive pricing and lower storage, the leading companies in low price high resolution digital audio players in china is Ibasso and Fiio, they dominate the market, neither sony or astell & kern have any real market share there.

on the other hand, places including Hong Kong, UK, USA or Singapore, Ibasso and Fiio doesn't have that 90% dominating market share for high resolution digital audio players, there there won't be any 16gb digital audio players from the nw-zx300 range

Sep 11, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #444 of 12,862
Is this thing expected to sound close to a WM1A given that it's the WM1 series that it was based on as a reference?

Sep 11, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #445 of 12,862
Is this thing expected to sound close to a WM1A given that it's the WM1 series that it was based on as a reference?

Although the members say the aim was the shrink WM1 series into this, from the impressions I've read the sound is more like a much more improved ZX2 than WM, which shouldn't be too surprising considering the model name. I think all things considered this is the true successor of the ZX series as the name suggests, and the WM series is its own thing again.

Sep 11, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #446 of 12,862
Although the members say the aim was the shrink WM1 series into this, from the impressions I've read the sound is more like a much more improved ZX2 than WM, which shouldn't be too surprising considering the model name. I think all things considered this is the true successor of the ZX series as the name suggests, and the WM series is its own thing again.
If that's truly the case, my wallet is laughing. :D I'll have to wait and see. Odd that Sony Singapore doesn't list this as incoming.

Sep 11, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #447 of 12,862

In that case does that mean i should not get the ZX300, I have the ZX 2 and was hoping to upgrade to the ZX300.

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #448 of 12,862
In that case does that mean i should not get the ZX300, I have the ZX 2 and was hoping to upgrade to the ZX300.
Actually depends on if you wanna upgrade something else. The ZX300 is a major improvement and it is better in alot of points. If you just want better portable sound quality it will be nice improvement but if this is the only reason you wanna upgrade, the ZX300 is probably not a good deal. If you wanna upgrade in terms of compatibility of file formats, battery life, UI and Sound Quality, the ZX300 will be a good and money worth upgrade.

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #449 of 12,862
Actually depends on if you wanna upgrade something else. The ZX300 is a major improvement and it is better in alot of points. If you just want better portable sound quality it will be nice improvement but if this is the only reason you wanna upgrade, the ZX300 is probably not a good deal. If you wanna upgrade in terms of compatibility of file formats, battery life, UI and Sound Quality, the ZX300 will be a good and money worth upgrade.

did you listened zx300? or these are your insights?

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #450 of 12,862
did you listened zx300? or these are your insights?
At ifa jeah, I think the ZX300 is besides the A40 Sonys best price to performance DAP. The Sound is very good compared to the price, tho companies like FiiO are able to deliver that at a lower price point. In terms of the design and usability I like Sony products a lot more. The A40 is just the best value DAP at the moment (for a person like me) and the ZX300 follows closely (major things like Balanced and better size makes if more appealing to me)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back