Sony NW-ZX300
Feb 5, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #4,351 of 12,862
You will just need the right cable. People already did that in the past with the WM1A and WM1Z, look up the thread.

I own both of them and sure that only the WMC-NWH10 have USB-AUDIO OUT.
WMP-NWM10 won't do USB-AUDIO OUT no matter what cable is used
If you can direct me to the post using WMP-NWM10 for USB-AUDIO OUT, that would be greatful.

But some 3rd party WM-PORT adaptor does have USB-AUDIO OUT function

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #4,352 of 12,862
I don’t own the player but i plan to.
What would be the best portable headphones for it?
Balanced or not, nevermind the price, let's say max 1000 euro but only if it's really worth the sound quality of course. I like musical sound, not analytical. If it matters, at home i use beyer dt880 and audeze lcd2 and on the go, sony 1000x which has excelent noise cancellation but the sound is not musical enough on the sony, still good but there is something missing. Maybe i ask too much of it after listening to beyer and audeze.
How is sony xba-n3? Other choice might be b&w p7. So iem or over ear, not on ear.
I would prefer some mainstream brands as there are not many choices in Romania.
Also for the record, i own fiio x5iii, did anyone compare zx300 with it? Is it worth the switch? Should be but...
Thanks.

I’m using mine with campfire andromedas most of the time. They are extremely resolving but I wouldn’t call them analytical - I love the sound. Sorta reminds me of the Beyer house sound without the overbrights and with more impactful bass. If you want more bass and more musical sound then the Vega is also amazing. I think for price the campfire IEMs blow away the competition that I’ve tried.

For over ears I haven’t used anything closed with the zx300 yet, but the four obvious suggestions would be: MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed, Beyer t5p (since you seem to like the Beyer sound), one of the closed Sonys, or the new Campfire Cascade. The AFC and the Cascade would be top of my list to try. Some people don’t think AFC is really portable, I guess it depends on your definition - I’m someone who’ll lug my Elears around in my bag sometimes though haha.

Worth noting with the Cascade (which is very, very new - see the thread about it) is that Ken from Campfire specifically recommended pairing it with the zx300, and it’s supposed to have a signature like the Vega which is a well loved, very musical but well resolving, headphone. Initially reviews are still coming out but it looks promising for a more bass heavy and musica alternative to the AFC.

Edit: wanted to add that you should save some budget for a balanced cable with any of the above. I don’t think any come with a balanced cable let alone a 4.4mm one and the zx300 is (more) glorious in balanced mode.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #4,353 of 12,862
Has anyone tried the Fiio L 27 cable for digital audio out with the zx300?

Feb 5, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #4,354 of 12,862
Balanced or not, nevermind the price, let's say max 1000 euro but only if it's really worth the sound quality of course. I like musical sound, not analytical. If it matters, at home i use beyer dt880 and audeze lcd2 and on the go, sony 1000x which has excelent noise cancellation but the sound is not musical enough on the sony, still good but there is something missing. Maybe i ask too much of it after listening to beyer and audeze.
How is sony xba-n3? Other choice might be b&w p7. So iem or over ear, not on ear.
Also for the record, i own fiio x5iii, did anyone compare zx300 with it? Is it worth the switch? Should be but...
Thanks.
I've bern looking into "portable headphone" this couple of weeks, but there's not much options. by portable i mean closed and small enough to carry around. the options that i found are ATH M50x, msr7 special edition, Sony mdr1a, wh1000xm2, oppo pm3, and audeze sine.

none of which really up to par with my fav headphone lcd2 and th900.

Feb 6, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #4,355 of 12,862
I’m using mine with campfire andromedas most of the time. They are extremely resolving but I wouldn’t call them analytical - I love the sound. Sorta reminds me of the Beyer house sound without the overbrights and with more impactful bass. If you want more bass and more musical sound then the Vega is also amazing. I think for price the campfire IEMs blow away the competition that I’ve tried.

For over ears I haven’t used anything closed with the zx300 yet, but the four obvious suggestions would be: MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed, Beyer t5p (since you seem to like the Beyer sound), one of the closed Sonys, or the new Campfire Cascade. The AFC and the Cascade would be top of my list to try. Some people don’t think AFC is really portable, I guess it depends on your definition - I’m someone who’ll lug my Elears around in my bag sometimes though haha.

Worth noting with the Cascade (which is very, very new - see the thread about it) is that Ken from Campfire specifically recommended pairing it with the zx300, and it’s supposed to have a signature like the Vega which is a well loved, very musical but well resolving, headphone. Initially reviews are still coming out but it looks promising for a more bass heavy and musica alternative to the AFC.

Edit: wanted to add that you should save some budget for a balanced cable with any of the above. I don’t think any come with a balanced cable let alone a 4.4mm one and the zx300 is (more) glorious in balanced mode.

Hi there, interesting that CA recommend ZX300 pairing for its new headphone.
Can you please direct me the link to that article if available?

Feb 6, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #4,357 of 12,862
Hi there, interesting that CA recommend ZX300 pairing for its new headphone.
Can you please direct me the link to that article if available?

It wasn’t an article, it was in the Cascade thread in the full-size headphones forum here in Head-Fi.

It was a personal comment from Ken who said he’d been listening to the new cans balanced on the zx300 and said they sounded great with that dap.

Should be about page 8-10. If you can’t find it let me know and i’ll check when I get home.

Feb 6, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #4,358 of 12,862
Thanks.

If you like Beyers you should definitely check out the AK T8ie Mk2, still one of the best dynamic IEMs out there.

Feb 6, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #4,360 of 12,862
Has anyone used the AEON headphones with the ZX300 ? Alternatively, does anyone know what the headphone output impedances are for both output types ?

Feb 6, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #4,363 of 12,862
Camelcamelcamel chart below for Amazon UK

nN8JqsG.jpg

I was watching it last year and the price went up to £480 on Black Friday and up to just under £600 on Cyber Monday.....I wasn't happy:triportsad:

If you're brave you could hope it follows the same trend and drops another £10-£20 over the next few days.

I'm not taking the risk, so just ordered mine now :)

Feb 7, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #4,365 of 12,862
Thank-you @tarhana. Did ve lee post about the measurements ? ... I can't find this member on Head-Fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back