Sony NW-ZX300
Feb 7, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #4,382 of 12,862
Decision time ! Deciding whether to buy the ZX300, from Amazon U.K. at it's present price of £473 ?

I have a ZX2, that i've had for more than 2 years, always loved it, but love it even more, since recently going TRRS.

Is it worth buying the ZX300 ? Is it an upgrade on my present set up ? My motivation is purely going "true balanced".

Any feedback, much appreciated.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #4,384 of 12,862
Decision time ! Deciding whether to buy the ZX300, from Amazon U.K. at it's present price of £473 ?

I have a ZX2, that i've had for more than 2 years, always loved it, but love it even more, since recently going TRRS.

Is it worth buying the ZX300 ? Is it an upgrade on my present set up ? My motivation is purely going "true balanced".

Why don't you try it, and if it doesn't meet your expectations, send it back? I sent back an Audioquest Jitterbug last week because it made absolutely zero effect in my system.

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #4,386 of 12,862
It could prove to be a hassle to send back ? I'm disabled & housebound. Unless Amazon arrange collection ??
Good point, as I recall there wasn't a collect option, only various drop off options, but for a high value items perhaps they offer a collect service as it was sent via DPD rather than their usual delivery guys.

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #4,387 of 12,862

from the zx2 it's not much of an upgrade more like sidegrade. you need to go to the 1z to get a noticeable increase in sound quality.

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #4,388 of 12,862
from the zx2 it's not much of an upgrade more like sidegrade. you need to go to the 1z to get a noticeable increase in sound quality.

Thanks for feedback. I'm finding it hard to imagine that it could be better than a ZX2. ( It looks like a ZX100 to me, with an additional balanced out. ) I think i'm going to possibly waste my money ??

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #4,389 of 12,862
Thanks for feedback. I'm finding it hard to imagine that it could be better than a ZX2. ( It looks like a ZX100 to me, with an additional balanced out. ) I think i'm going to possibly waste my money ??

There is a new S-Master chip at the heart of the ZX300 (which is the same as the chip in the 1Z), there's a significant increase in headphone output power and reduction in background noise. To say the ZX300 is a sidegrade is selling the ZX300 quite short as it's a pretty big and significant technical upgrade, though whether you like the change in sound signature is an entirely different matter.

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #4,390 of 12,862
There is a new S-Master chip at the heart of the ZX300 (which is the same as the chip in the 1Z), there's a significant increase in headphone output power and reduction in background noise. To say the ZX300 is a sidegrade is selling the ZX300 quite short as it's a pretty big and significant technical upgrade, though whether you like the change in sound signature is an entirely different matter.

Thank you for your feedback. That's interesting info. I think i need to read more reviews before i make my decision ?

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #4,391 of 12,862
I honestly believe that the ZX300 is at the point where diminishing returns really come into play. It shares a lot of the same parts as its bigger brothers, and we can pretty much bet it shares the same coding as the I/O is the same across all models, along with the same chipset.

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #4,392 of 12,862
It could prove to be a hassle to send back ? I'm disabled & housebound. Unless Amazon arrange collection ??

Hi Rob I assume you're in the UK, I would call amazon customer service and ask them if they have pick up service for returns. I'm in the US and for every item I've returned lately there has been a pick up option for the package for another 4 or 5 dollars which just comes out of your refund. Wouldn't be much to sate your curiosity and I would expect they have a pick up service with at least one carrier in the UK.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #4,393 of 12,862
I honestly believe that the ZX300 is at the point where diminishing returns really come into play. It shares a lot of the same parts as its bigger brothers, and we can pretty much bet it shares the same coding as the I/O is the same across all models, along with the same chipset.

By "diminishing returns", you mean ?? In what context ?

Hi Rob I assume you're in the UK, I would call amazon customer service and ask them if they have pick up service for returns. I'm in the US and for every item I've returned lately there has been a pick up option for the package for another 4 or 5 dollars which just comes out of your refund. Wouldn't be much to sate your curiosity and I would expect they have a pick up service with at least one carrier in the UK.

Thanks. They have arranged to collect a DVD, in the past, so i'm sure they could arrange to collect this, especially if i explain my circumstances. I find Amazon to be very good. ( Yes. i'm in the U.K. )

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #4,394 of 12,862
Sorry, I should have been clearer -
If you step up from a Sony NW-A45 (for example) the ZX300 has a better chip, and capacitor based for more stable power delivery and better sound signature. You also get native DSD playback, and access to balanced output. I'd say this is a decent upgrade. You also increase from 16gb to 64gb internal.

If you step up from the ZX300 to the WM1A you get a bigger body, screen and battery - but the important things like the circuitry receive minimal changes. You also increase from 64gb to 128gb internal.

When you step up further from the A to the Z you get near identical circuitry, but different components. You also increase from 128gb to 256 internal.

The prices however increase from £180 -> £470, £470 -> £1000, or £1000 -> £2600

The point where you get the best increase for money is to the ZX300, past that point the returns diminish in comparison to the amount spent.

Feb 7, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #4,395 of 12,862
Sorry, I should have been clearer -
If you step up from a Sony NW-A45 (for example) the ZX300 has a better chip, and capacitor based for more stable power delivery and better sound signature. You also get native DSD playback, and access to balanced output. I'd say this is a decent upgrade. You also increase from 16gb to 64gb internal.

If you step up from the ZX300 to the WM1A you get a bigger body, screen and battery - but the important things like the circuitry receive minimal changes. You also increase from 64gb to 128gb internal.

When you step up further from the A to the Z you get near identical circuitry, but different components. You also increase from 128gb to 256 internal.

The prices however increase from £180 -> £470, £470 -> £1000, or £1000 -> £2600

The point where you get the best increase for money is to the ZX300, past that point the returns diminish in comparison to the amount spent.

Thanks. You're basically saying it's good value, for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back