Sony NW-ZX300
Jan 8, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #3,721 of 12,862
Since some supplied out of the box cables are not sold individually, there probably won't be any information on it, unless they are audiophile, high end headphones, or special tuned made headphones.

All I can find is, it's 1.2m silver plated OFC cables with gold plated plug.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #3,722 of 12,862
Since some supplied out of the box cables are not sold individually, there probably won't be any information on it, unless they are audiophile, high end headphones, or special tuned made headphones.
Hum... You are right, the cable seems different:

https://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1077519.html

The MDR-1ABP looks like a rip off to me then, although the pricing makes sense considering the Japanese MDR-1A costs a whopping 27,220 JPY (which is a lot compared to the €150 I would be paying in France, €99 when I got mine on black friday on Amazon)

The pricing for the XBA-N3BP makes more sense to me, considering the XBA-N3 is sold 300€ here and 35,290 JPY in Japan while the XBA-N3BP is sold 33,850 JPY for some reason, which is cheaper than the regular N3. The BP variants also do not seem to be sold in Europe but I could be wrong about that.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #3,723 of 12,862
Jan 8, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #3,724 of 12,862
not really, you will still get a SQ better than SE, it's just not what you expected, you were expecting a cheaper version of the sold balance cable, and it does sound better than a unknown cable, even the N3BP is the same.
I was actually expecting the MDR-1A bundled with the official MUC-S12NB1 balanced cable, which would have made sense at that price point considering it costs about as much to buy both separately (at least until you figure out the MDR-1A is largely overpriced in Japan compared to the overseas markets).
Don't get me wrong, the MDR-1A is a good pair of headphones, it's just not a 220€ one. For that price you have much better options, such as the Sennheiser HD6XX (although that's not sold in Japan either)

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #3,725 of 12,862
The more I read about the ZX300, the more I am tempted. The odd websites that have written anything about it, are hyped up with it.

The drawback for me is, that because I use Chord DACs, I think I can't use the ZX300 MQA function. Neither would I need it as a DAC. Further more I would probably not use its balanced output. (Well at least I have no plans to buy any balanced cable ear-phones.)

Jan 8, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #3,726 of 12,862
The more I read about the ZX300, the more I am tempted. The odd websites that have written anything about it, are hyped up with it.

The drawback for me is, that because I use Chord DACs, I think I can't use the ZX300 MQA function. Neither would I need it as a DAC. Further more I would probably not use its balanced output. (Well at least I have no plans to buy any balanced cable ear-phones.)
I strongly believe the USP of the zx300 is the balanced output and if you're not going to use it i would think you would be happier with a poly or something that would further enhance your chord sound and easy of use.

EDIT: I apologise for my outburst re: the mojo .. It was immature on my part.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #3,727 of 12,862
If you have a MMCX connector cable, disconnect them from the IEM. Change the multi meter to the lowest resistance range (ohms), Place one probe onto the L+ on the MMCX connector(the middle pin is +), place the other probe onto what should be L+ on the adapter. Do the same for the R side. I don't know how to explain this any simpler. You're checking for continuity, and you can get a cheap DMM for $10 to do this. Other than that you will always be wondering if you got burned and bought a **** adapter.
I got a multimeter and checked and i am happy to say everything is in order. The polarity of the channels are as they are supposed to be. Thanks for your guidance.

Jan 8, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #3,728 of 12,862
Sorry if this has already been answered before, but does anyone know if I can do digital out from the ZX300 to my mojo? If I can't I might consider selling my mojo... and if I can, can someone post the cable I have to get? Thanks in advance!

Jan 8, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #3,729 of 12,862
Sorry if this has already been answered before, but does anyone know if I can do digital out from the ZX300 to my mojo? If I can't I might consider selling my mojo... and if I can, can someone post the cable I have to get? Thanks in advance!
It works no problem, you just need a cable for it. Same as WM1A/Z or A30/A40, Sony daps work flawlessly with digital out, also you can change what way Dsd gets handled.

Jan 8, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #3,730 of 12,862

If it uses the same cable as other Sonys, you'll find the cable type in the Mojo thread 3rd post.

Jan 8, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #3,731 of 12,862
I have the same issue with my klipsch x10, they are very light, very comfortable but you can't change the cable to a balanced version :/ They also seem lacking in the bass department compared to most of my headphones (and I am not a bass head).
I also use the Klipsch x10's and bass is very prominent with the ZX300. Fit is important, you haven't found yours yet I think :)

The X10's in balanced mode would be bliss. Or the X20's in balanced mode (and without the stupid apple remote).

Jan 8, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #3,732 of 12,862
I strongly believe the USP of the zx300 is the balanced output and if you're not going to use it i would think you would be happier with a poly or something that would further enhance your chord sound and easy of use.

EDIT: I apologise for my outburst re: the mojo .. It was immature on my part.
Like I already said before, I believe the ZX300 is a good buy even if one's not (immediately) planning to use the balanced output. It's the same price as when the ZX100 got released and has better SE, better built, touchscreen. The balanced is convenient to have even if one is not planning on using it: you can not rule it out in the coming years. And when that time comes that one buys a headphone that comes with balanced connections, you will be glad you did . :)

Jan 8, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #3,733 of 12,862
Breaking in the balanced, tough job but someone has to do it. Why not Geddy, he's never sounded better :)

P_20180108_113147.jpg

Jan 8, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #3,735 of 12,862
Like I already said before, I believe the ZX300 is a good buy even if one's not (immediately) planning to use the balanced output. It's the same price as when the ZX100 got released and has better SE, better built, touchscreen. The balanced is convenient to have even if one is not planning on using it: you can not rule it out in the coming years. And when that time comes that one buys a headphone that comes with balanced connections, you will be glad you did . :)

I second this, the SE out is excellent in it's own right. If you don't need android the ZX300 is the one. Really fast UI, and that sublime matt screen- good for us OCD folks, or fidgety as it used to be called.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back