Sony NW-ZX300
Dec 11, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #3,196 of 12,862
thanks for all the insight, I want to get the X1A as an upgrade but it seems the jack issue is still not solve same with 300R, so it might be out of my choices. I'll compare both AK70MK2 and ZX300 when I got the chance to go to egghead. Hopefully either one of them will be a goodpair to CA Orion

If I were you I would spend my money for an upgrade for the IEM's. The jump in sound quality would probably be much more significant than the one you'll get with a DAP change.

Dec 11, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #3,197 of 12,862
If I were you I would spend my money for an upgrade for the IEM's. The jump in sound quality would probably be much more significant than the one you'll get with a DAP change.

no you get me wrong. I sold last year my DPX1 after one month of usage due to change responsibility in work in office. So I am looking for another DAP this time that is comparable at least to DPX1 sound wise

Dec 11, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #3,198 of 12,862
You would be surprised what a good dap can do with the same pair of iems. Got the zx300 yesterday and yes yes it's definitely worth it. As @nanaholic rightly said this piece is a cool cucumber in the pocket! I'm using se right now and my god the lows are hitting the right spots for me.

Dec 11, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #3,199 of 12,862
You would be surprised what a good dap can do with the same pair of iems. Got the zx300 yesterday and yes yes it's definitely worth it. As @nanaholic rightly said this piece is a cool cucumber in the pocket! I'm using se right now and my god the lows are hitting the right spots for me.

Of course, I'm not underestimating the zx300, on the contrary I intend to buy one. But for me the IEM comes first...

Dec 11, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #3,200 of 12,862

Of course, I'm not underestimating the zx300, on the contrary I intend to buy one. But for me the IEM comes first...

Last year I bought my DPX1 and Titan Dunu 3 at the same time in the same shop. This time I want to go DAP route first then audi all possible iem's that will pair pretty good with the DAP :)

Dec 11, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #3,201 of 12,862
Sound quality wise DP-X1 is definitely a cleaner and has better detail retrieval than the AK70, but to me I prefer the AK70 because of the overall size of the package, interface and SQ.

The AK70 MkII is a step up from the AK70 with better separation and detail retrieval. It also goes for a brighter tuning than the AK70 which leans towards the warm side, the warm+less clear AK70 is why some would consider it a bit muddy sounding player.

I think the ZX300 is easily on par with the AK70 MkII, what would tip me over towards the ZX300 is the insane battery life of the player due to Sony's own S-Master technology. Also no heat, as the AK70s can get fairly warm, but the ZX300 is cool as a cucumber in the pocket. The ZX300 is a huge winner for travelling IMO.

If the Ak70 II over heats than that must reduce the life span of the battery ?

Dec 11, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #3,202 of 12,862
If the Ak70 II over heats than that must reduce the life span of the battery ?

It doesn't overheat, but it does get pretty warm (in fact most AK players I've own gets pretty warm), which theoretically isn't good for the long term health of the battery.

Dec 11, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #3,204 of 12,862
I own the original AK100 but I have never noticed it getting warm.

But I don't use the player very much.

I've owned the AK100, AK380 and two AK70s.

They ALL get warm, but some more than others. eg the AK380 makes a great hand warmer in winter, but will burn your crouch area if you use it in summer with a pair of shorts.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #3,205 of 12,862
how is the SQ compared to AK70mk2 and Onkyo DP-X1? Because in my ears DPX1 > AK70, haven't heard the the mk2 or zx300
It's comparable on the SE output in terms of sound quality (although both devices have different distinguishable sound signatures), but the NW-ZX300 buries the AK70 MKII as soon as you start using the balanced output.

Dec 12, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #3,207 of 12,862
Like really? Is the difference night and day on both daps for BAL?
I haven't used the balanced output on the AK70 MKII (I didn't have the proper cables at the time) so I can't tell about it, but the balanced output on the NW-ZX300 is a night and day difference against the AK70 MKII's SE output.
Perhaps the balanced output on the AK70 MKII is comparable to the one on the ZX300, I can't tell, but it is unlikely considering the balanced output on the ZX300 has an almost identical sound signature as the one from the WM1A which itself is comparable (in terms of sound quality) to the AK320.

Dec 12, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #3,208 of 12,862
Would you consider SE at least on par with A35/45?

It isn't even close, much clearer and refined.
Did you check to see how many hrs burn-in it had? I mean; I thought the SE sounded nice out of the box, but burn-in is very important for this device. It changes quite significantly with burn-in. It reminds me of a pair of sturdy leather shoes that need many walking hours to mould to your feet :)

Yes out of the box and some burn in time make quite a bit of difference! Sounds more dynamic and open/layeted. Stage widened a bit, but is deeper, mids are right where I like them and are very detailed and bass is meaty and fast, and treble sounds more lifelike and refined. Good stuff!

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #3,209 of 12,862
Sound quality wise DP-X1 is definitely a cleaner and has better detail retrieval than the AK70, but to me I prefer the AK70 because of the overall size of the package, interface and SQ.

The AK70 MkII is a step up from the AK70 with better separation and detail retrieval. It also goes for a brighter tuning than the AK70 which leans towards the warm side, the warm+less clear AK70 is why some would consider it a bit muddy sounding player.

I think the ZX300 is easily on par with the AK70 MkII, what would tip me over towards the ZX300 is the insane battery life of the player due to Sony's own S-Master technology. Also no heat, as the AK70s can get fairly warm, but the ZX300 is cool as a cucumber in the pocket. The ZX300 is a huge winner for travelling IMO.

That is really a good point about the heat, AK70 can get pretty warm (which at this time of year it's useful as a hand warmer :) only thing I can think of that ran warmer was mojo. As you said, no heat from the ZX300 at all, but if you look at the pcb and the way the power is routed and all the 'room' the circuits get and plus the digital amp runs very cool- it's no wonder.

Dec 12, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #3,210 of 12,862
A couple of questions please:
When viewing the menu or folders do the buttons function to scroll through the option/tracks?
What is the maximum album art/cover .jpg resolution?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back