Sony NW-ZX300
Dec 12, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #3,211 of 12,862
You would be surprised what a good dap can do with the same pair of iems. Got the zx300 yesterday and yes yes it's definitely worth it. As @nanaholic rightly said this piece is a cool cucumber in the pocket! I'm using se right now and my god the lows are hitting the right spots for me.

just wait :) it gets better.

Dec 12, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #3,212 of 12,862
A couple of questions please:
When viewing the menu or folders do the buttons function to scroll through the option/tracks?
What is the maximum album art/cover .jpg resolution?

No it's just scrolling, with the sony fast tab on the side that shows what letter you are at, would be nice to have a true search function too. Sorry I don't know what the max jpg resolution is.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #3,216 of 12,862
I wonder what the most objective verdict on the difference between SE and balanced is. I haven't tested the balanced myself, mind.
I hear people saying that the difference is minimal, or that it's mainly good to drive more demanding headphones.

Then I hear people saying that it's 'day and night' difference. Some placebo at work here or more in-between?

Or might it be that the more demanding headphones are used on the balanced port and then on the SE? Then, naturally the SE will sound way subpar.

I'm curious, can't wait to test it out myself when I finally discover the headphones that tick all boxes...
But something tells me that it will be such analogy like that of the vinyl vs cd comparison, in which there's a clear sound temperature but in the end the final piece of the chain matters most (headphones or speakers).

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #3,217 of 12,862
I wonder what the most objective verdict on the difference between SE and balanced is. I haven't tested the balanced myself, mind.
I hear people saying that the difference is minimal, or that it's mainly good to drive more demanding headphones.

Then I hear people saying that it's 'day and night' difference. Some placebo at work here or more in-between?

Or might it be that the more demanding headphones are used on the balanced port and then on the SE? Then, naturally the SE will sound way subpar.

I'm curious, can't wait to test it out myself when I finally discover the headphones that tick all boxes...
But something tells me that it will be such analogy like that of the vinyl vs cd comparison, in which there's a clear sound temperature but in the end the final piece of the chain matters most (headphones or speakers).
Personally i’m on Shure Se425 since one week now on SE out and they’re very good , by the time the output burn it become better day after day :)
Now i’m waiting for a balanced cable from EarMax i’ve found on AliExpress (hope for good quality)...
Let’s wait and see , hope as some said for a « night and day » effect ah ah ^^

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #3,218 of 12,862
Personally i’m on Shure Se425 since one week now on SE out and they’re very good , by the time the output burn it become better day after day :)
Now i’m waiting for a balanced cable from EarMax i’ve found on AliExpress (hope for good quality)...
Let’s wait and see , hope as some said for a « night and day » effect ah ah ^^
Ah, so you have your ZX300 back? Good to hear :)

Dec 12, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #3,219 of 12,862
Ah, so you have your ZX300 back? Good to hear :)
I sold one of my drone and a rythm box :wink:
Yes , now i’m so afraid with my new one ^^
And my first unit will go in Sony Uk , hope they will reflash it for free
It’s really a nice device, so speed in the menu comparing with my old zx100 ... Wooot so fast !
And the sound is beautiful (as for everytime with Sony) ❤️
I just need a pouch for it and the balanced cable (I bought a cheap one comparing at the Sony’s one, hope it won’t be ugly sound)...
And yes the only missing thing is a search function, anything else is marvelous

Dec 12, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #3,220 of 12,862
C7C05637-6332-4DEC-92D3-8C4157D12076.png
By the way somebody knows if « Rmt-nws20 » work with zx300 please ?
And any « Englishtaobao » équivalent that take Paypal or has secure payment page :) ?

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #3,221 of 12,862

By the way somebody knows if « Rmt-nws20 » work with zx300 please ?
And any « Englishtaobao » équivalent that take Paypal or has secure payment page :) ?
I was wondering that myself - from my research it has been added to the compatibility list.
I thought it may be convenient with my chronic track replaying/skipping habits, but I am concerned about the battery having bluetooth on, using balanced and Hi-Res on the ZX300 may severely limit the battery life (compared to my ZX100).

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #3,223 of 12,862
I just got the remote, the only thing I don't like about it, is the smooth glossy surface on the front, easily get scratched. But the quality is good.

And yes, it does work, depending which regional f/w you have, just check if you have it in the settings.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #3,224 of 12,862

You may enjoy reading this: https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-balanced-headphone-outputs-are-better

There are two very clear benefits possible with balanced that I don't think anybody can dispute:

1. Balanced outputs by default supply at least twice the power. Some amplifiers are designed to give balanced even more power, often up to 4x. The question is, do you need more power? The typical IEM uses almost none and many SE outputs are too powerful for them. No benefit to more power here unless the designer actually made the balanced output have superior fidelity, but the specs would appear different. However unlikely, this could happen and it would be audible. Earphones require somewhat more power but not as much as a lot of posters seem to think. A few mW drives almost all phones. There is also a misconception that high impedance makes phones a difficult load. Actually it's the other way around, low impedance is harder for an amp to drive than high impedance. It does mean more power is needed though. The ZX300 has enough power to drive most headphones.

2. Balanced cancels noise picked up in the wires, That's just how it works. A positive signal with a negative noise spike is added to a negative mirror image of the same signal which would have a positive noise spike and you end up with twice then signal and essentially zero noise. That said, the cables are usually short and the voltages are relatively high. Under those conditions little or no audible noise would be expected. Balanced circuits were created for long (as in 10m plus) cable runs in professional applications. They usually of no benefit in consumer audio.

Looking at what I said, I have to add that I don't want to start a flame war. This subject has been discussed to death. The usual answer to what I say above is "I know what I hear and balanced is better!" Ok, fine. I'm not denying it's possible. I even point out that the balanced circuitry could actually be better and sound better. I personally doubt this happens very often and I can't hear the difference so buying balanced and using balanced is not big deal for me. I also buy cheap cables. I use balanced connectors on my desktop system for another reason I didn't mention above. The connectors are so much better than most other connectors. I like XLR connectors. I'm not so excited by the pin style plugs used on DAPs. The most I have ever paid of any wire or cable is $US 125. I buy most of my cables from Monoprice here in the USA. Oh, I know this post is going to get me shot but I just had to say it. This thread needs something to stir it up.

Dec 13, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #3,225 of 12,862

Excellent question.

I enjoy listening to my XBA-A3 from my ZX100 but using the dac from my Oppo HA-2 sounds much better. Chip quality and characteristics aside, does it mean that whereas someone listening to the ZX100 may benefit from an amp (ie. more power), the ZX300's balanced higher output gives it an improved sound? The higher output doesn't just mean more volume does it? Doesn't it improve the sound quality at lower volumes?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back