SONY NW-ZX2
May 20, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #14,507 of 14,755
Is your iPad Tidal app updated? The guys at HiBy R6 topic had similar problems, but solved with app update. The problem is, we can't update on the very old android of zx2
Agree, iPad is ok, zx2 is the challenge, and I‘ve just asked tidal, what they’ve changed...

May 24, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #14,508 of 14,755
Hello, I'm new here and quite happy to find folks who faced the same desaster with their ZX2 and Tidal. The ZX2 is a quite fantastic device which I use every day and the combination with my isine20 is nothing but outstanding. I've really tried everything to get back Tidal, but no matter what I did, I came undone. First I thought it was really my WLAN, but, interestingly, I cannot log into my account using Chrome either nor I can apply for a new password, first I was told, that my e-mail account was unknown, after a few re-installations the app started to ignore me my like I wasn't there....

Yesterday I bought the ZX507 from Amazon, but the device is already on its way back, no substitute to ZX2 at all, soundwise, and the EU volume cap drove me almost crazy, even with IEMs, the volume is unbearable.. Tidal, of course, works :)).

Well, hope, time will tell what was changed by the Tidal team..However, hope is low.
I guess we will be told to switch to the latest update.. And that's it..

May 24, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #14,509 of 14,755
Hello, I'm new here and quite happy to find folks who faced the same desaster with their ZX2 and Tidal. The ZX2 is a quite fantastic device which I use every day and the combination with my isine20 is nothing but outstanding. I've really tried everything to get back Tidal, but no matter what I did, I came undone. First I thought it was really my WLAN, but, interestingly, I cannot log into my account using Chrome either nor I can apply for a new password, first I was told, that my e-mail account was unknown, after a few re-installations the app started to ignore me my like I wasn't there....

Yesterday I bought the ZX507 from Amazon, but the device is already on its way back, no substitute to ZX2 at all, soundwise, and the EU volume cap drove me almost crazy, even with IEMs, the volume is unbearable.. Tidal, of course, works :)).

Well, hope, time will tell what was changed by the Tidal team..However, hope is low.

Hi,. I am also new. I bought a used ZX2 in mint condition a few weeks ago. I was very impressed by sound and build quality. But I was unable to run Amazon Music on the device so I decided to sell it via eBay. I wanted to have a streaming able device. That was really a mistake. I am sure it is very hard to find another ZX2 in such a good condition. Nevertheless I went for the ZX507. Tested it for more than one week with Sony Walkman app and alternate player apps. But like you, I couldn't stand EU volume limitation. That ruined all...so I decided to return the ZX507. Sound was not far close to the ZX2 (even considering that it wasn't burned-in yet). And volume was just too low. Not to forget the bad battery lifetime....In the meantime I went for a used NW-WM1A. And this is it, I was looking for. Very clear sound, very deep subbass, device in perfect condition an I got it for a reasonable price. I can use it as DAC on my laptop or as Bluetooth receiver for mobile devices to stream. Very recommendable device! But also the ZX2 would be something I could get happy with...

May 24, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #14,510 of 14,755
Among Sony's Walkmans, the ZX507 sounds the worst before burn in, no idea why but mine sounded like a car crash for the first 100 hours.

My last walkman sounded good from the start then improved a lot with burn in, but the ZX507 actually sounded hilariously bad before burn in.

Also the EU version is not worth owning, it is limited to a tiny 2.2mW from both 3.5mm and 4.4mm! Compared to 50mW+200mW for ZX507 from outside EU.

May 24, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #14,511 of 14,755
Among Sony's Walkmans, the ZX507 sounds the worst before burn in, no idea why but mine sounded like a car crash for the first 100 hours.

My last walkman sounded good from the start then improved a lot with burn in, but the ZX507 actually sounded hilariously bad before burn in.

Also the EU version is not worth owning, it is limited to a tiny 2.2mW from both 3.5mm and 4.4mm! Compared to 50mW+200mW for ZX507 from outside EU.

May I ask what happened to your ZX507..

May 24, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #14,512 of 14,755
I've always been a big fan of Sony Walkman. Back in 1986 I bought my first one, the legendary DD 2. But now it is time to say Goodbye.

Assuming that we won't get a fix of the Tidal issue, has anyone a good advice on what device could be a successor with Tidal aboard, great sound and build quality at a fair price?

Thought about fiio, but in terms if reliability and sustainabilty I think, they are not first choice, are they?

May 24, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #14,513 of 14,755

FWIW: Everybody says that the 507 have to burn in for quite many hours, before you can judge, how it should sound...Anyway, I probably keep my zx2 for some time. Not - for the time - being able stream tidal, has made me aware of all the very good music, i have on the 400 gb memory card:)

May 24, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #14,514 of 14,755

Hi,. I am also new. I bought a used ZX2 in mint condition a few weeks ago. I was very impressed by sound and build quality. But I was unable to run Amazon Music on the device so I decided to sell it via eBay. I wanted to have a streaming able device. That was really a mistake. I am sure it is very hard to find another ZX2 in such a good condition. Nevertheless I went for the ZX507. Tested it for more than one week with Sony Walkman app and alternate player apps. But like you, I couldn't stand EU volume limitation. That ruined all...so I decided to return the ZX507. Sound was not far close to the ZX2 (even considering that it wasn't burned-in yet). And volume was just too low. Not to forget the bad battery lifetime....In the meantime I went for a used NW-WM1A. And this is it, I was looking for. Very clear sound, very deep subbass, device in perfect condition an I got it for a reasonable price. I can use it as DAC on my laptop or as Bluetooth receiver for mobile devices to stream. Very recommendable device! But also the ZX2 would be something I could get happy with...
I've read that the ZX507 is a clear step-up from the ZX2.
Are you saying that this is not the case from your experience, except for for the EU volume limitation?

May 24, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #14,515 of 14,755
I've read a lot of reviews concerning the ZX507. However, I cannot remember any review comparing it with the ZX2. Although the approach is quite the same (android) noone saw the ZX507 as successor to the ZX2, most of them compared it withe the ZX300 which I' ve never heard.

We all know that volume is very important, the higher, the better the sound appears. It was not easy for me to assess the ZX507 vs. my ZX2 for I usually listen at clearly higher volume level. But I took the time to adjust the levels of both devices and found the sound of the ZX507 especially with regard to stage (width and depth) much worse, and surely not a step up to the ZX2. And I' m sure that it was not the intention of Sony's engineers to create a device of the ZX2's class, when they developed the ZX507. The marketing staff may have had a different view or mission. Or in other words, the sucessor or step up of the ZX2 is the WMA1 rather than the ZX507.

I cannot judge on the balanced output, but I don't believe that it sounds better, just louder. Neither I don't believe in burning in doing magic. The ZX507 is and stays lower-class in my oppinion, although not really lower priced. Taking into consideration, the missing leather case, the less internal memory and the smaller housing it is not far from the ZX2, price wise.

May 24, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #14,516 of 14,755
Guys there are plenty of people in the ZX507 thread that came from ZX2 and all of them think the ZX507 is a big step up from the ZX2 in terms of sound. The only complaint has been of battery life being such a downgrade.

Also if the guy above based his decision on a fresh unit without any burn in then disregard his impressions. These daps use capacitors on the outputs due to their unique charge pump design, which is unlike any other dap, that's why Sony daps need burn in, it's not as important in 95% of other daps which use no output caps (meaning burn in will have a smaller effect but still noticeable to some).

When you start up the dap you get a message from Sony telling you to burn it in for 200 hours. Do you really think Sony would write an embarrassing message like that unless it was crucial? ZX507 sounds horrible out of the box, but after use turn into an absolute killer device. It's the perfect upgrade to a ZX2 in every way (except battery life).

Also balanced sounds even better than single ended, the SE is no slouch either (unlike the bad SE out on ZX300). ZX507 is the only Sony dap using Gen 2 FT-Caps on the balanced output and they have a phenomenal texture and timbre to them, you get a deeper rumblier bass and a sparklier airier top end, with silkier vocals when using balanced.

It's kind of like the SE sounds great but just colorless, while balanced adds a kind of Class A amp feel to the sound. It's really something.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #14,517 of 14,755
Strangely, can't remember such a hint when setting it up. Anyway, the EU volume cap alone was a show stopper to me.

Also, I've also searched the ZX507 thread for referrings to the ZX2. Found exactly one user claiming the ZX507 to be clearly better than the ZX2. A user who praises the DSEE HX to have dramatically improved......

And still I claim, that a balanced output cannot sound better unless the standard one has a problem. They are usually louder than the standard outputs, and this is, what makes people think they are better. Balanced outputs are like High Res files (exceeding CD quality) : Useless and nothing but marketing... (my private oppinion)

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #14,518 of 14,755
People are sometimes confused about the benefits of high res.

Some people think it is the frequency extension that is causing the benefit, which is not the case because most people can't hear past 20khz and only the very best microphones go to around 40khz.

One possible benefit of high res is the dynamic range of the recording is improved, going from 16 bit to 24 bit, from 96db to 144db, means you won't be losing any detail when recording a rock concert for example, but if the volume of the music does not exceed 96db there is no benefit of going from 16 bit to 24 bit, which is often the case in a studio.

The only area where high res is better than cd 16/44 in all instances is sample rate. CD quality is 44khz, meaning audio data has been captured 44 times per second. While a 96khz high res file means audio data was captured 96 times per second. This does improve transients and tiny details. I feel that 96khz is the sweet spot, there is diminishing returns over that.

It's just like frames per second in video or monitor refresh rate, going from 24 to 30 to 60 to 90 or 120, you see improvements in smoothness, but there is diminishing returns over that. If our eyes can tell the difference between 60 and 120 frames per second then surely our ears can tell the difference between 44 and 96 frames/samples of audio per second.

Yet we are all happy watching 24fps movies or 30fps TV.

Most of my collection is 16/44 because I'm perfectly happy with how it sounds.

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #14,519 of 14,755
Anyone out there who can shed some light on the TIDAL issue? Tidalgate is really annoying me for all other devices that I play TIDAL on don't require Hifi sound, the 10 bugs extra I solely invest for my ZX2...
Still haven't received an answer from TIDAL and I fear I never will. So I would be interested in a workaround...

May 29, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #14,520 of 14,755
Anyone out there who can shed some light on the TIDAL issue? Tidalgate is really annoying me for all other devices that I play TIDAL on don't require Hifi sound, the 10 bugs extra I solely invest for my ZX2...
Still haven't received an answer from TIDAL and I fear I never will. So I would be interested in a workaround...
FWIW: I am still corresponding with tidal, but they don’t seem to answer the questio, which is what have they changed without us knowing? Will return when/if I get an answer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back