SONY NW-ZX2
Jul 10, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #14,537 of 14,755
Still enjoying this DAP but curious as to what you guys think is the best Android based unit out there now.

Deezer app is slow and the version of Android prevents Deezer HiFi for lossless streams.

That said, the battery is still tremendous...

Jul 11, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #14,538 of 14,755
So does that mean we still get a benefit from a balanced 3.5 jack with zx2 rather a se 3.5? As we get the advantage of a ground now... ?

My subjective evaluation is yes, substantially. I have a Dita Truth cable, which has swappable plugs. Thus, my comparison can be considered quite accurate since the only thing that is changed is from 3.5 SE to 3.5 4-pole plug. I can tell you that the sound improvement is quite substantial. It sounds a lot cleaner and stereo separation improves a lot. Indeed I prefer ZX2 + 3.5 4-pole plug over my Onkyo granbeat + 2.5 balanced plug, as 2.5 balanced tend to sound cleaner at the expense of becoming thinner. So it's a kind of compromise. But with ZX2 + 3.5 4-pole plug I do not have to deal with this compromise. You get precisely the same sound thickness of 3.5 but just cleaner.

So my suggestion is try and decide it by yourself once.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #14,539 of 14,755
Still enjoying this DAP but curious as to what you guys think is the best Android based unit out there now.

Deezer app is slow and the version of Android prevents Deezer HiFi for lossless streams.

That said, the battery is still tremendous...
Well obvious choice is ZX507. I've had a few Chinese design Android DAP's but finding the Sony the best based on Sound Quality and trouble free Android use (not EU version) but battery life not great for live streaming.

Also look at Hiby R5.

Jul 24, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #14,540 of 14,755
Is Tidal working again on the NW-ZX2 for people? Would like to know before I restart a subscription.

Still so frustrated I can't get Qobuz to work on it, though. Have gone through 20 different old versions of the app, looked at every solution possible under the sun, such as open source operating systems. Seems unsolvable - can't login "network error." I am wondering if there is some solve using DLNA or an app that Qobuz offline can integrate with. If anyone knows, let me know. Is DLNA something that could solve this? I only barely understand it.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #14,543 of 14,755
Is Tidal working again on the NW-ZX2 for people? Would like to know before I restart a subscription.

Still so frustrated I can't get Qobuz to work on it, though. Have gone through 20 different old versions of the app, looked at every solution possible under the sun, such as open source operating systems. Seems unsolvable - can't login "network error." I am wondering if there is some solve using DLNA or an app that Qobuz offline can integrate with. If anyone knows, let me know. Is DLNA something that could solve this? I only barely understand it.

USB Audio Player Pro from google store: Supports both tidal and qobuz(streaming only).App needs to be sideloaded(apk file). It is not for free, costs a few bugs..

Jul 26, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #14,544 of 14,755
USB Audio Player Pro from google store: Supports both tidal and qobuz(streaming only).App needs to be sideloaded(apk file). It is not for free, costs a few bugs..

How did you manage to get this on your NW-ZX2, considering the new version is incompatible with Android 4.2, and the old versions are blocked because it's a paid app? I know how to sideload an APK, just not sure how to overcome the paid aspect...

Thanks

Jul 27, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #14,545 of 14,755
How did you manage to get this on your NW-ZX2, considering the new version is incompatible with Android 4.2, and the old versions are blocked because it's a paid app? I know how to sideload an APK, just not sure how to overcome the paid aspect...

Thanks
Do you have another android device? If so, you could install it there, purchase a licence (if necessary at all, I'm not so sure anymore, they mention in-app purchases in the app description) and then sideload it on the zx2. Of course, you can also load it on your zx2 and see what happens. Again, the app runs on my zx2. Not as well as the genuine media player. However, surely not less smoothly than for example Tidal. After all, Android 2.4 is not state of the art anymore. This you must always bear in mind. For extracting the apk file from the play store i used the "apk mirror installer (official)" which is available in the store, too.

P.S. In the change log of the last version that I installed a few weeks ago, they even mentioned a bug fix for the zx2. I still have the apk. If you should face problems with the new version I could e-mail it to you .

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #14,547 of 14,755
I hope you don’t have the euro volume capped model, because I do and it won’t drive the ie800 to useable volumes
Even without EU volume cap: From my experience I see no way to come to satisfying output to drive the ie800, I'm afraid. And trrs cable is useless for the nwz-x2 can handle the cable, but doesn't deliver balanced output, which is usually louder than the standard output.

Aug 23, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #14,548 of 14,755
Do you have another android device? If so, you could install it there, purchase a licence (if necessary at all, I'm not so sure anymore, they mention in-app purchases in the app description) and then sideload it on the zx2. Of course, you can also load it on your zx2 and see what happens. Again, the app runs on my zx2. Not as well as the genuine media player. However, surely not less smoothly than for example Tidal. After all, Android 2.4 is not state of the art anymore. This you must always bear in mind. For extracting the apk file from the play store i used the "apk mirror installer (official)" which is available in the store, too.

P.S. In the change log of the last version that I installed a few weeks ago, they even mentioned a bug fix for the zx2. I still have the apk. If you should face problems with the new version I could e-mail it to you .

Aug 23, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #14,549 of 14,755
Hi, would love it if you can share the way to load the UAPP into ZX2. Quite frustrating not able to stream tidal now through the ZX2 which is the reason why I bought it. Not having any problem previously but it seems not compatible between tidal and ZX2 now. Am sure many in this forum will appreciate. Thanks in advance.

Sep 12, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #14,550 of 14,755
Hi, would love it if you can share the way to load the UAPP into ZX2. Quite frustrating not able to stream tidal now through the ZX2 which is the reason why I bought it. Not having any problem previously but it seems not compatible between tidal and ZX2 now. Am sure many in this forum will appreciate. Thanks in advance.
Sorry haven't been here for quite a while. In case your problem's still not solved. Here is, how you can install the apk_file from UAPP (after moving it to your sd card)

https://www.talkandroid.com/guides/beginner/install-apk-files-on-android/

If you cannot find the apk PM your email address and l'll send it over to you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back