SONY NW-ZX2
Jun 1, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #14,521 of 14,755
FWIW: I am still corresponding with tidal, but they don’t seem to answer the questio, which is what have they changed without us knowing? Will return when/if I get an answer...
Yesterday I encountered the same Tidal problem on my old Galaxy S5, i. e. as assumed, this is not an exclusive ZX2 issue. Same situation, same error message. Luckily, this device runs on android 5.1, thus updating to the latest Tidal version was not a big deal.
It appears that Tidal wants for whatever reason the people to change to their latest version. This being said, I don't think, that they will help users with devices on android < 5.0.
But there's also a good thing about it: Now with Tidal being removed and me solely playing music with the sony app, the battery life has increased significantly. Same seems to be the case with the ZX507... refer to a few posts in the ZX507 thread.

Jun 5, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #14,523 of 14,755
I have been trying to get some info from Tidal by writing several mails. Have tried to explain, that we have changed nothing but suddenly we got this network error. The most recent reply I got was:
Since you are receiving the error message when attempting to log in through Sony nw-ZX2 app, and can log in on other devices, I'm sorry but you will need to reach out to Sony customer support.
I replied again that it couldn’t be Sony (this time) as we have changed nothing... FWIW it seems that Spotify still works although not high res....
Don’t expect to get any further explanation from Tidal....so we probably have to enjoy whatever is on our chip. The “upside” is that I can now use the internal 128gb for other stuff. But it is really sad....

Jun 12, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #14,524 of 14,755
I have been trying to get some info from Tidal by writing several mails. Have tried to explain, that we have changed nothing but suddenly we got this network error. The most recent reply I got was:
Since you are receiving the error message when attempting to log in through Sony nw-ZX2 app, and can log in on other devices, I'm sorry but you will need to reach out to Sony customer support.
I replied again that it couldn’t be Sony (this time) as we have changed nothing... FWIW it seems that Spotify still works although not high res....
Don’t expect to get any further explanation from Tidal....so we probably have to enjoy whatever is on our chip. The “upside” is that I can now use the internal 128gb for other stuff. But it is really sad....
Already tried USB Audio Player Pro? If you look at the latest update 5.5.9 in google play store, they actually refer to the xz2. And the best thing: The app allows Tidal streaming, and this with minimum requirement Android 4. Unfortunately, play store on the xz2 claims the app to be incompatible (which is wrong) , one must download the apk (app: apk extractor from play store)

Just installed it. Streaming WORKS for me. No download of course. Nice add on: Play list combining own songs and Tidal streaming possible.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #14,526 of 14,755
Hey guys i bought this player , which trrs cable do i need to buy for the sennheiser ie800 , if it even works

best regards

you can search the thread here, maybe you find an answer... By memory i would say, the zx2 supports trrs, but no true balanced output Screenshot_20200613-184703_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #14,528 of 14,755
Already tried USB Audio Player Pro? If you look at the latest update 5.5.9 in google play store, they actually refer to the xz2. And the best thing: The app allows Tidal streaming, and this with minimum requirement Android 4. Unfortunately, play store on the xz2 claims the app to be incompatible (which is wrong) , one must download the apk (app: apk extractor from play store)

Just installed it. Streaming WORKS for me. No download of course. Nice add on: Play list combining own songs and Tidal streaming possible.
Many thanks. Will try asap:beerchug:

Jun 14, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #14,529 of 14,755

Could you please help further: in the playstore on the zx2: when I search for “USB audio player pro” it does not show up? What am I doing wrong? Many thanks 😊

Jun 14, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #14,530 of 14,755
Could you please help further: in the playstore on the zx2: when I search for “USB audio player pro” it does not show up? What am I doing wrong? Many thanks 😊
Yes, Mr. Google Almighty considers the app incompatible. That's why I recommended to install the app "apk extractor" from play store on for example your tablet. Search for the "usb music player pro" using the search function and the app loads down the apk file which you can use to install the player on the zx2 by double clicking..

If you have difficulties I can send the file by e-mail....

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #14,531 of 14,755
Yes, Mr. Google Almighty considers the app incompatible. That's why I recommended to install the app "apk extractor" from play store on for example your tablet. Search for the "usb music player pro" using the search function and the app loads down the apk file which you can use to install the player on the zx2 by double clicking..

If you have difficulties I can send the file by e-mail....
I would be great if can PM me the file. I only have iOS devices, therefore only android on the zx2....

Jun 19, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #14,534 of 14,755
you can search the thread here, maybe you find an answer... By memory i would say, the zx2 supports trrs, but no true balanced output Screenshot_20200613-184703_Chrome.jpg
Hi. Just to share some information with ZX2 users. Fidue sells 2.5 balanced female => 3.5 balanced male adapter cable. I have been using it for a few months. It sounds great and costs just 30 USD. It is a simple, low-cost solution for those who want to try 3.5 TRRS capability of ZX2, https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32821705265.html

Jun 21, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #14,535 of 14,755
***disclaimer*** this was the result of my readings and googlings with some basic electrical design from school....and I am no expert or designer by any means. Allow me to share it.

I think you are being confused.

1/ balanced cable means each channel uses it own grounds, while the regular unbalanced uses the same ground. So TRRS means Tip-Ring-Ring-Sleeve. It means that it has 4 poles connectors to be used with L- and L+ then R- and R+. Yes, this is balanced cable...there is no such thing as true balanced cable.

2/ the ZX2 is not True-balanced output because it only use one circuitry of S-Master to output to 3.5 jacks with the use of additional ground (2 grounds) so that it can act as a balanced output for you to use TRRS plug. Sony meant to say that it is not True balanced as each of the channel (L or R) doesn't have it own amplifications to truly seperate and be individual of each other.

The problem is with the use of seperate and individual amplification on each channel will only drain the battery. The decoding and translation of digital to analog is done at the DAC....so...the balanced output can only be as good as this DAC is translating and decoding the digital to analog signals.

An example would be that you have two hands, and it is up to your brain to task each hand individually, if you was to received a different brain from a random donor, then each of your hand will be tasked different than your own brain.....lol if it makes sense.

Now there are DAP with the uses of individual DAC for each channel.....but again, they both have to be wired and designed somehow to be able to interprete the differences and transitions of analog signals between left and right channel

Conclusion here, balanced, or unbalanced will only be as good as how your circuitry was designed to interprete the analog signals and the transitionals between channels. The only one thing that will obviously be affective regardless of the interpretation would be the additional ground.....as this ground will allow for more efficient electrical conductivity.

The above reasons were why Sony felt to be doing additional ground instead of having two S-Master circuitry, and one for each channel.....and what would be the interpreter ? Lol...if they use any DAC here, then it is no longer S-Master design, and this moves us toward PHA-3

If you want Sony true balanced output, PHA-3 is balanced with each amplifier per channel....be advised.....this is not S-Master design, but rather only chips from third party....Texas instrument amplifications and ESS DAC ?

So does that mean we still get a benefit from a balanced 3.5 jack with zx2 rather a se 3.5? As we get the advantage of a ground now... ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back