SONY NW-ZX2
Jan 23, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #14,476 of 14,755
Could those that got a TRRS cable made for their ZX2 post a picture of their 3.5mm jack plug?
I'm trying to compile all those available so I can choose which one I prefer before commissioning one.
Now I'd prefer an angled one, easier in the pocket. I'm still in consideration between 4 or 8 wire conductor. If I go 8, the barrel has to be wide enough to accommodate.

AFAIK (official sites/product pages):
Furutech only has TRS shown in their products.
Same for Viablue with their T6s mini and normal.
Same for Switchcraft
Same for Neutrik-Rean I don't see any 4 pole TRRS

Lunashops show the Pailiccs:
Angled, black barrel, gold head. http://www.lunashops.co.uk/goods-3786.html these look like a stunning visual match for the ZX2 :)
Straight chrome classic Pailic shaped http://www.lunashops.co.uk/goods-1434.html
Ranko REP-1040 straight. http://cn.rankoaudio.com/Plugs/155.htm Looks like Viablue T6s, but with red band, and rhodium plated.

Are there any other worthwhile options?

Here is the collection from e-earphone japan

https://www.e-earphone.jp/shopbrand/ct3530/

Feb 16, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #14,478 of 14,755
i am using zx2 with new sony wf-1000xm3 buds. Connection is fine, problem is the clear bass function does not work. It works with wired buds, but with Bluetooth buds, no effect. Is this supposed to happen? When I use the xm3 on iPhone or iPad, the clear bass function is adjusted through the ‘headphones‘ app from Sony. I wonder if the zx2 also requires the same app now to make clear bass work on zx2. I tired to access google play store to find the app but keep getting errors and it won’t open. ‘Error retrieving information from server df-dfherh—01’ tried all solutions to fix, but nothing works. Only option is complete reinstall.

If I reboot the zx2, wiping it clean in order to solve this play store error, I will lose Spotify app as well. Will I even be able to download it again? I know sony stopped supporting android years ago, so I fear that I would not be able to download Spotify again. This makes me very hesitant to reboot the zx2 because I use spotify a lot.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #14,479 of 14,755
i am using zx2 with new sony wf-1000xm3 buds. Connection is fine, problem is the clear bass function does not work. It works with wired buds, but with Bluetooth buds, no effect. Is this supposed to happen? When I use the xm3 on iPhone or iPad, the clear bass function is adjusted through the ‘headphones‘ app from Sony. I wonder if the zx2 also requires the same app now to make clear bass work on zx2. I tired to access google play store to find the app but keep getting errors and it won’t open. ‘Error retrieving information from server df-dfherh—01’ tried all solutions to fix, but nothing works. Only option is complete reinstall.

If I reboot the zx2, wiping it clean in order to solve this play store error, I will lose Spotify app as well. Will I even be able to download it again? I know sony stopped supporting android years ago, so I fear that I would not be able to download Spotify again. This makes me very hesitant to reboot the zx2 because I use spotify a lot.

For what it's worth, I just got a NW-ZX2 and went and loaded an old version of Tidal onto it, so even if you go and wipe everything (I took every single unnecessary app off it to clear up space and prevent interference), you should be able to add the current version, or an old version (if you know how to do that) of Spotify onto it.

I am decently stoked on this player, having paid $185 for it. If I had paid full price, I wouldn't be. I still haven't seen about loading an old version of Qobuz onto it, but Tidal is stable.

I think Pono sounds a bit better through headphones (but lacks streaming/offline listening), but NW sounds very good through headphones - definitely significantly better than an iPhone, and sounds really good plugged into the Aux in a car - far better than iPhone and better than Pono, i'd say.

I'm using Etymotic ER4P-T with it currently.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #14,482 of 14,755
For what it's worth, I just got a NW-ZX2 and went and loaded an old version of Tidal onto it, so even if you go and wipe everything (I took every single unnecessary app off it to clear up space and prevent interference), you should be able to add the current version, or an old version (if you know how to do that) of Spotify onto it.

I am decently stoked on this player, having paid $185 for it. If I had paid full price, I wouldn't be. I still haven't seen about loading an old version of Qobuz onto it, but Tidal is stable.

I think Pono sounds a bit better through headphones (but lacks streaming/offline listening), but NW sounds very good through headphones - definitely significantly better than an iPhone, and sounds really good plugged into the Aux in a car - far better than iPhone and better than Pono, i'd say.

I'm using Etymotic ER4P-T with it currently.

i did manage to get google play store going again by turning on a bunch of apps that were disabled. I managed to update Spotify because the old version wasn’t showing my ‘discover’ page anymore. It works now, but Spotify is even slower than before. I looked in the App Store for the Sony headphones app but it wasn’t available because the app is only good for android 5.0 and above. The Walkman is stuck at android 4.2. So I will have to upgrade the Walkman if I want to use my Wf1000x3‘s and activate clear bass, EQ, or ambient noise control.

Feb 19, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #14,483 of 14,755
What? $185 for a $1199 walkman released at launch. Even AK players have better resale value than that.

It's a used 5 year old non-updated Android DAP that you can't conveniently change the battery in, I'd say that's a fair price... probably value rebound a bit as they eventually get more difficult to find.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #14,488 of 14,755
Does anyone compared sound of ZX2 and a newer A105 40-th anniversary edition?

I'm trying to decide whats better for a bluetooth over LDAC and for wired connection.
Second hand ZX2 has the same price as new A105, and im not planning to stream, so i will use it only for offline FLACs.

Actually i even think that if A105 has that price as new, will it eventually drop on price as ZX2 due to Android? Just curious...

So if the sound is better on ZX2 will it be a better option?

Thanks everyone

Apr 7, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #14,489 of 14,755
ZX2 is a fantastic player well built and truly worth the sound. Can’t compare to 105 as I have not heard it.
Unfortunately the player needs updates to compare it to newer walkmans in terms of software. I had a hard time loading a 1TB microsd card as the scan time was too long and draining the battery. Also most android apps are out of date, they work but you’ll see the difference if u have a newer android.
The sound is on par with 1A IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back