SONY NW-ZX2
Nov 23, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #13,456 of 14,755
The player has been around for some time now, I am sure many have checked online reviews, including head-fi.org before purchasing such an expensive DAP. As you can see from those completely mixed reviews, from a 90 score to a 50 score, with 4 bad reviews, anyone who scored this DAP 50 or lower needs to go get their hearing checked.

do you think that zx2 is too expensive?

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #13,457 of 14,755
If you pay full retail, maybe. If the sound is all you care about paying the full retail even now would be reasonable. I wish there was an update to newer firmware for added functionality. If it had the very next iteration of Android, I would've kept it forever. Nowadays you can find great deals. And if you are willing to consider used, the deals get even better. Still the best sounding DAP I've listened to.

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #13,458 of 14,755
still a full 1200euros in Sony store in Belgium for a volume capped ZX2, way too expensive. Should've been 500-600 if capped.
700-800 non capped.

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #13,459 of 14,755
  still a full 1200euros in Sony store in Belgium for a volume capped ZX2, way too expensive. Should've been 500-600 if capped.
700-800 non capped.

Not really,$1000 is a good price for a non capped ZX2,taking into acount flagship level of sound,sturdy,high quality materials and endless battery,otherwise daps like Fiio X7 should be in the $400-$450 going by impressions of nowhere near that level of finesse and detail as well as build,the same would be true for the whole mid segment of daps,prices would rockfall and collide with low mid and entry level daps,let's not get carried away here.

Nov 23, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #13,460 of 14,755
700-800 non capped.

Amazon anywhere in Europe has it for less than 900€ and it very often goes down to 810-820€ during flash deals.

Unfortunately, capping doesn't decrease the retail price, only the resale value.
mad.gif

Sony just does not care about Europe, period. As long as they don't harmonize consumer protection, Europe is just too fragmented to actually weight anything when dealing with large companies, making any significant law suit impossible.

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #13,461 of 14,755
  Not really,$1000 is a good price for a non capped ZX2,taking into acount flagship level of sound,sturdy,high quality materials and endless battery,otherwise daps like Fiio X7 should be in the $400-$450 going by impressions of nowhere near that level of finesse and detail as well as build,the same would be true for the whole mid segment of daps,prices would rockfall and collide with low mid and entry level daps,let's not get carried away here.

I still say it's too expensive.
It ain't flawless to me, or I'd have kept it.
Noise+hiss, UI not snappy, folder browsing mode on DP-X1 is near instant, try A to Z with the scroll bar. Even my Cowon Plenue D beats the ZX2 in that regard. The ZX2 ain't lightweight or small, but it sure feels rugged.
It has the best battery for android streamer daps (take note competitors) but it is not endless.
AR M20 costs half, is less noisy (ZX2 hisses a lot), has half the battery of the ZX2, but it' still more than the other stream daps.
How much longer would App streamers support Android 4?
I know you can find the ZX2 cheaper elsewere, but official Sony store still sells it for 1200, and that ain't ok. 

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #13,462 of 14,755
  I still say it's too expensive.
It ain't flawless to me, or I'd have kept it.
Noise+hiss, UI not snappy, folder browsing mode on DP-X1 is near instant, try A to Z with the scroll bar. Even my Cowon Plenue D beats the ZX2 in that regard. The ZX2 ain't lightweight or small, but it sure feels rugged.
It has the best battery for android streamer daps (take note competitors) but it is not endless.
AR M20 costs half, is less noisy (ZX2 hisses a lot), has half the battery of the ZX2, but it' still more than the other stream daps.
How much longer would App streamers support Android 4?
I know you can find the ZX2 cheaper elsewere, but official Sony store still sells it for 1200, and that ain't ok. 

I agree about the ui,it's an old android so it is not snappy,there is hiss in the beginning yes but for iems it is the best dap at that price point beating all mid daps like dx90/x5,Cayin n6/Fiio X7,also prefered it to ak120ii and mojo so sound quality wise you get your moneys worth.As we said it is a sturdy device with quality materials so yeah it isn't lightweight,you won't be taking it for jogging but so are other high tier daps like ak240 and let's not talk about the new bling sony,the members there are already cracking jokes about building muscle and getting attractive for the ladies.

Nov 25, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #13,465 of 14,755
That cube you mentioned about is the docking charging station for Zx2. Walkman as a dedicated transportation have separated charging circuitry that could be kept away from digital signals from USB for better and cleaner signals going toward the amplifier
smily_headphones1.gif
. That is the best thing about Walkman, and many more...but I will only discuss it with people who have the will to listen and or learning

Does the dock output an analog signal that skips the amplifier in the Zx2? I'm looking to output the signal to a desktop amp and save myself from having to buy a desktop DAC, just let the DAP do the work. I like the AK and the dock for it but the fact that it can't do a true line out is a total deal breaker. The upcoming DX200 would fit the bill but from what I've read the USB port is on top which is a terrible design choice and I don't think I'll be able to dock it.

Nov 25, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #13,466 of 14,755
Does the dock output an analog signal that skips the amplifier in the Zx2? I'm looking to output the signal to a desktop amp and save myself from having to buy a desktop DAC, just let the DAP do the work. I like the AK and the dock for it but the fact that it can't do a true line out is a total deal breaker. The upcoming DX200 would fit the bill but from what I've read the USB port is on top which is a terrible design choice and I don't think I'll be able to dock it.

I don't see any port for analog line out on this dock..but then I had always been using as digital transport. Will check it when I get home, for now I am on vacation :D

Nov 25, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #13,468 of 14,755
I don't see any port for analog line out on this dock..but then I had always been using as digital transport. Will check it when I get home, for now I am on vacation :D

Seems like you're always on vacation! What part of the world are you in now? I'm actually visiting the Greenbrier resort in West Virginia. 45 minutes from my childhood home and I'd never been til now...

Nov 25, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #13,469 of 14,755
Seems like you're always on vacation! What part of the world are you in now? I'm actually visiting the Greenbrier resort in West Virginia. 45 minutes from my childhood home and I'd never been til now...

Nice, I am sticking around in NYC ATM....driving in it is a nightmare for sure. I can't wait to get home next week for the WM Walkman :D....this Hobby is so dangerous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back