SONY NW-ZX2
Nov 21, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #13,441 of 14,773
Yes ZX2 and HiFiMan are 3,5 mm trrs

Nov 21, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #13,442 of 14,773
  since we are on the TRRS thing 

if i want to make a balanced 2-pin cable for my ciems, zx2 uses 3.5 TRRS , right ? i always confuse if it's 2.5 or 3.55

thanx for any clarification here

That is correct.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Nov 21, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #13,443 of 14,773
That cube you mentioned about is the docking charging station for Zx2. Walkman as a dedicated transportation have separated charging circuitry that could be kept away from digital signals from USB for better and cleaner signals going toward the amplifier
smily_headphones1.gif
. That is the best thing about Walkman, and many more...but I will only discuss it with people who have the will to listen and or learning

It can charge any models of the walkman?

Nov 21, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #13,445 of 14,773
3.5. Grats on your effect audio win lol

thanx bro
beerchug.gif

are you back on the zx2 train ? i remember you saying you went the qp1r way some time ago

Nov 21, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #13,447 of 14,773
I've been back for a while

well , as the mighty eagles sang in 1976

you can check out anytime you want but you can never leave 
tongue.gif

how come ? what was with qp1r that didn't rock your boat ?

Nov 21, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #13,448 of 14,773

well , as the mighty eagles sang in 1976

you can check out anytime you want but you can never leave 
tongue.gif

how come ? what was with qp1r that didn't rock your boat ?

he probably found it too clinical/non musical but technically i have to admit it is a slight step up from ZX2,if you discount musicality,clarity,detail and soundstage is a step up,a very organic sounding dap and perfect pair for lush and warm iems.

Nov 21, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #13,449 of 14,773
he probably found it too clinical/non musical but technically i have to admit it is a slight step up from ZX2,if you discount musicality,clarity,detail and soundstage is a step up,a very organic sounding dap and perfect pair for lush and warm iems.
have to disagree here. One the hiss with the andros was bad. Sounded like a waterfall. 2. Compression of microdynamics and shading. Qp1r has no nuances. It is technically able but it just hits the note hard and is a bit one note. You listen to any orchestral or multi instrument track you can hear all the seperate instruments but they all sound the same dynamic throughout the piece. The timbre is not reference....its pretty sterile. Like how can lets say adele singing at the top of her lungs sound that thin and clean? You can read my posts on the qp1r but it is really a sterile player for me and sounds shouty. Technically....cant come close to details and nuances as zx2. Nothign really can including the mojo and geekout v2+ infinity. Only thing i heard which blew it away is the holo spring dac level 3. I am a professional musician so i may listen for different things than an audiophile. Ijust never feel emotionally engaged. The geekout v2+ infinity valanced is technically better than the mojo, but for me no where near the enjoyment of the mojom so ymmv, but nothing impressed me from the qp1r from initial to extended listening.

Nov 21, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #13,450 of 14,773
have to disagree here. One the hiss with the andros was bad. Sounded like a waterfall. 2. Compression of microdynamics and shading. Qp1r has no nuances. It is technically able but it just hits the note hard and is a bit one note. You listen to any orchestral or multi instrument track you can hear all the seperate instruments but they all sound the same dynamic throughout the piece. The timbre is not reference....its pretty sterile. Like how can lets say adele singing at the top of her lungs sound that thin and clean? You can read my posts on the qp1r but it is really a sterile player for me and sounds shouty. Technically....cant come close to details and nuances as zx2. Nothign really can including the mojo and geekout v2+ infinity. Only thing i heard which blew it away is the holo spring dac level 3. I am a professional musician so i may listen for different things than an audiophile. Ijust never feel emotionally engaged. The geekout v2+ infinity valanced is technically better than the mojo, but for me no where near the enjoyment of the mojom so ymmv, but nothing impressed me from the qp1r from initial to extended listening.

I demoed Qp1r for about 20min at a store with ie800 and really liked the pairing.Clarity and detail were really impressive but i didn't have Zx2 at the time to volume much and of course we all here know the detail/separation of Zx2 done right (trrs,sound adj.dis) and i wholeheartedly agree about comparison with mojo but to me and in the short time i listened it sounded accurate/realistic and clear but again it was just an impression but as i said pairing is important(lush,warm tonality iem)otherwise it sounds too clinical,as you said yourself you weren't emotionally engaged :).

Nov 21, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #13,451 of 14,773
I've had the ZX2 for a long time now, and I have to say sonically I haven't come across anything as musically and emotionally engaging in a dap as the ZX2 is. There is one thing that continues to really bug me however - the lack of replay gain support in the Sony music app. I know other third party apps support it, but all of them have to downsample hi res tracks to 16 bit 44100khz. Only the Sony player handles hi res natively, and Sony's answer to replay gain - the dynamic normaliser, sounds pretty bad. It's basically a compressor. It pretty radically changes the timbre of the music, and ironically sucks the dynamics out of anything played through it. It sounds particularly offensive with classical and jazz. I don't get why Sony didn't go with a solution which preserves dynamics, instead of one which destroys them.

Nov 22, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #13,452 of 14,773
Just found a summary of ZX2 reviews from around the web,a couple are interesting most are epidermic and nowhere near in depth as here but all gathered here 

http://www.techspot.com/products/mp3-players/sony-nw-zx2.114231/

Nov 22, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #13,453 of 14,773
Just found a summary of ZX2 reviews from around the web,a couple are interesting most are epidermic and nowhere near in depth as here but all gathered here 

http://www.techspot.com/products/mp3-players/sony-nw-zx2.114231/
I could care less what some reviewer had to say, it's all subjective when it comes to DAP's, it's what you pair it with and the content that you play with it, I have paired my ZX2 with a pair of JH16's with www.stefanaudioart.com cables, I also use a pair of http://www.dunu-topsound.com/DN-2000J.html, and it sounds fantastic with both, I also connect it to my cars auxiliary and get fantastic results from my 500 watt car audio system, same goes when I connect it to my home audio system, it's just audio bliss.

Nov 22, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #13,454 of 14,773
I could care less what some reviewer had to say, it's all subjective when it comes to DAP's, it's what you pair it with and the content that you play with it, I have paired my ZX2 with a pair of JH16's with www.stefanaudioart.com cables, I also use a pair of http://www.dunu-topsound.com/DN-2000J.html, and it sounds fantastic with both, I also connect it to my cars auxiliary and get fantastic results from my 500 watt car audio system, same goes when I connect it to my home audio system, it's just audio bliss.

It was summary of reviews around the web all in one place,maybe of some value to a guest or new member looking into the ZX2 apart from the valuable impressions here and the couple of headfi reviews,i certainly have sang the praises of ZX2 with my se846 too many times.

Nov 22, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #13,455 of 14,773
It was summary of reviews around the web all in one place,maybe of some value to a guest or new member looking into the ZX2 apart from the valuable impressions here and the couple of headfi reviews,i certainly have sang the praises of ZX2 with my se846 too many times.
The player has been around for some time now, I am sure many have checked online reviews, including head-fi.org before purchasing such an expensive DAP. As you can see from those completely mixed reviews, from a 90 score to a 50 score, with 4 bad reviews, anyone who scored this DAP 50 or lower needs to go get their hearing checked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back