SONY NW-ZX2
Nov 16, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #13,426 of 14,773
HK WM1A - 200+ hours - update.  Firmware 1.01, K10/Whiplash TWag v3 / TRRS 3.5mm plug.

From the comparison at the store, listening with the Z5 to the same tracks on the 1A and the 1Z.
- WM1A/Z - I have the same impression as the Sony engineers description of the SQ.
- Compared to ZX2 - More detailed and open.  It's like the ZX2 is like looking through water that is clear, until you compare to water in the Caribean, where it looks like there is no water, it is so clear.  The 1A is like the water in the Caribean.
- Bass is more solid.  
- More details, which may give the impression of better high frequencies.  The sound is not tiring.
- 1Z/1A sound is similar.  But the 1Z has more detail.  Example is on voice, the 1A sounds detailled and clear.  Switch to the 1Z, and there is a rasp in the voice that was on the 1A, but you did not notice because it is low and almost buried, until you listen for it.  But on the 1Z, you notice it right away.  So while very small differences, the 1Z is recovering more micro detail, which is what provides the positioning cues, and space in a recording.
What I heard was a more immediate and involving sound for vocals.  Yes, you can say it is a very small difference for a large amount of price difference, but with the right setup (IEM/cable/plug), that small difference grabs you in a way that the 1A does not.  Yes, if I could afford it, I would get the 1Z.  As it is, I will enjoy the 1A and try not to listen to the 1Z, to keep the upgrade urge in abeyance.

How does the 1A sound compared to the ZX2?  I believe it is a significant improvement.  Again, they are small differences, and depending on your system synergy, you may hear very little difference.  But the difference/capability is there, if your setup can resolve it.  What this points out is that if you take your IEM/Headphone to the store and try the 1A/1Z, and you hear no, or little difference, then you don't need to upgrade.  If you do upgrade, then it would only make sense if you also upgraded IEM/Headphone/cable. 

My impression is subjective.  I random play through 7k+ songs on the player, mostly FLAC, a good portion of it is hi-res, mixed with some MP3.  Music is just about all genres.
I like the setup with the ZX2 and now with the WM1A, and Noble K10,  where the system is able to make all the various music, and  bit rates, sound good.  What I look for is whether the music is involving, or boring.  If I find myself skipping to the next track on most music, which I did when I first got the 1A, then it is not what I am looking for.  After 200+ hours, I'm finding that songs that I did not particularly like on the ZX2, I am listening to on the 1A.  And it seems to have more of what has been described as PRAT, that ability to get your foot tapping to the music.  Jazz and Classical come through very well.

So no double blind, and not even switching back and forth between the ZX2 and the WM1A, comparing similar tracks.  ( Don't have the ZX2 anymore, so cannot directly compare anymore. )
I've also spent too much time in this audio hobby, comparing snippets of music, listening for the speed of the drum note, the decay, the separation/detail of the instruments, the harmonics of a violin.
In the end, all the details are just a means to a whole, and the final goal is whether the system delivers music, or just  a sequence of notes/sounds.  If a system is able to deliver most music that to you is enjoyable, and draws you temporarily into the artist's world, and communicates some of the emotion of the music, then it is getting closer to what I want.  Some systems are resolving, but not necessarily musical.

So that's my feeling at 200+ hours.  It's a relief that I feel the 1A is more musical and a step up from the ZX2, so I don't have to agonize about getting rid of a good player, and winding up with something that was not as musical, which is what I was afraid of, as there was no way to tell if the 1A sound when it was new, would progress to a musical player, after a proper burn in.

I did go through the above regret when I replaced the AK100 with the Calyx M.  The M was beautiful on some songs, but overall, I found it not that involving for too many songs.  And the 4+ hours battery life became to great a negative, as you had to constantly charge it, and if using it for longer periods of time in a day, you would find yourself with a dead player too often.  So I sold the Calyx M at a significant loss, and replaced with the ZX2.

And I know that this update on the 1A will not be enough for many people, who are looking for more detailed comparisons, so just take this as my contribution of a subjective impression, listening to music.  And not trying to compare specific aspects of music.  I'm fine that this may not be relevant to many people, and I would agree that more specific details are needed.  Which I am sure will show up.

Nov 19, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #13,427 of 14,773
  What this points out is that if you take your IEM/Headphone to the store and try the 1A/1Z, and you hear no, or little difference, then you don't need to upgrade.  If you do upgrade, then it would only make sense if you also upgraded IEM/Headphone/cable. 

Thanks for review. What surprises me in your review - that you consider ZX2 upgrade (to 1A) being optional. Quite often upgrades rather obvious.

Nov 19, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #13,428 of 14,773

Thanks for review. What surprises me in your review - that you consider ZX2 upgrade (to 1A) being optional. Quite often upgrades rather obvious.

That was not my meaning.  I was just taking into account a common situation, where some people would hear no difference or improvement, whether it is a cable, earphone, hi-res/lo-res, XZ2 versus WM1A, etc., etc.
There are many factors that come into play.  The hearing/ears may not be able to hear the frequencies, or micro details.  The users setup may mask the details.  i.e. the setup is not able to resolve the frequencies, or micro details.   Also, some people do not believe that cables make any difference, and some also that DAPs do not make any difference.  I view this as each person's subjective truth.  It is true for them, and it may, or may not be true for others, with or without the same setup.  In the audio hobby, this happens all the time, and I do not believe it worth arguing about, either for or against.  If you do, you do, and if you don't, you don't. And if you don't then don't waste the money for something that offers zero return.

So what I was trying to say, is that the user should take their IEM/Headphone and cables to the store and listen and compare to their ZX2.  If they hear no difference, then their setup, or hearing, would not have any benefit from the WM1A, so there is no reason for them to upgrade.

However, if they do upgrade, then they should think about also changing their IEM/Headphone/Cable, if they believe that there are component(s) in their setup which is holding the sound back.  So for this scenario, either don't change, as the user hears no difference, so why change?  Or if the user accepts the reviews that the WM1A is a step up in SQ, and it is something that they want to move to, then in addition to the DAP change, they would also need to change other parts of their system (IEM, cables, etc).  So it's all, or nothing., that is all I was advocating.

For me, I do not consider the upgrade to 1A being optional, as I believe the 1A is a more musical player.  But of course, optional or not is a loaded question.  We need food and air.  Everything else is pretty well optional.

Nov 19, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #13,429 of 14,773

That was not my meaning.  I was just taking into account a common situation, where some people would hear no difference or improvement, whether it is a cable, earphone, hi-res/lo-res, XZ2 versus WM1A, etc., etc.
There are many factors that come into play.  The hearing/ears may not be able to hear the frequencies, or micro details.  The users setup may mask the details.  i.e. the setup is not able to resolve the frequencies, or micro details.   Also, some people do not believe that cables make any difference, and some also that DAPs do not make any difference.  I view this as each person's subjective truth.  It is true for them, and it may, or may not be true for others, with or without the same setup.  In the audio hobby, this happens all the time, and I do not believe it worth arguing about, either for or against.  If you do, you do, and if you don't, you don't. And if you don't then don't waste the money for something that offers zero return.

So what I was trying to say, is that the user should take their IEM/Headphone and cables to the store and listen and compare to their ZX2.  If they hear no difference, then their setup, or hearing, would not have any benefit from the WM1A, so there is no reason for them to upgrade.

However, if they do upgrade, then they should think about also changing their IEM/Headphone/Cable, if they believe that there are component(s) in their setup which is holding the sound back.  So for this scenario, either don't change, as the user hears no difference, so why change?  Or if the user accepts the reviews that the WM1A is a step up in SQ, and it is something that they want to move to, then in addition to the DAP change, they would also need to change other parts of their system (IEM, cables, etc).  So it's all, or nothing., that is all I was advocating.

For me, I do not consider the upgrade to 1A being optional, as I believe the 1A is a more musical player.  But of course, optional or not is a loaded question.  We need food and air.  Everything else is pretty well optional.

I think your final paragraph sums up this discussion of upgrades. In the end, all upgrades are optional. 

Nov 20, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #13,431 of 14,773
I am happy with my ZX2 for now  ..guys is there a TRRS 3.5mm adapter that i can plug my 3.5mm IEM into that gives me the benefit of the extra detail in sound 

You won't get benefit straight out of TRS to TRRS conversion as you need to have cable that supports TRRS. However if you want an adapter contact Trevor at Norne audio .. he can make one for you

Nov 20, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #13,433 of 14,773
Yep ZX2 does not suddenly get worse just because some new shiny toy appears

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #13,434 of 14,773
When your in this hobby your mind is always plagued by the temptation to upgrade and I have had the upgrade bug for a while, but every time I put on my 8.2 driven by the zx2 those temptations just disappear it's a super musical CIEM with a super musical player and nothing beats it in my mind :)

Nov 20, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #13,435 of 14,773
+1 on loving zx2

would love to try 1a sometimes later but i can live happpily ever after with zx2 

i'd rather spend another 1000 euros on another custom 
tongue.gif
 (cause unlike daps , you just want to get more and more customs 
evil_smiley.gif
 )

Nov 20, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #13,436 of 14,773
  I am happy with my ZX2 for now  ..guys is there a TRRS 3.5mm adapter that i can plug my 3.5mm IEM into that gives me the benefit of the extra detail in sound 

Do not bother yourself w/ it.. It is not the way it work. You may get compatibility from 3.5 TRRS to TRS, but no benefit at all from the vice versa

Nov 20, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #13,438 of 14,773
  if your earpieces' cables are replaceable, replace it w/ the ones w/ TRRS plug.. then, and only then, you will get the benefit. If they are not, buy new ones that are

ok thanks

Nov 21, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #13,439 of 14,773
ok thanks

Or if your current cable has 4 wires all the way to the trs plug you can cut that plug of and fit a trrs plug, but once fitted with trrs they can only be used with Sony and HiFiMan players unless you get a female trrs to male trs adaptor

Nov 21, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #13,440 of 14,773
since we are on the TRRS thing 

if i want to make a balanced 2-pin cable for my ciems, zx2 uses 3.5 TRRS , right ? i always confuse if it's 2.5 or 3.55

thanx for any clarification here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back