SONY NW-ZX2
May 28, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #11,747 of 14,755
Things are really looking up for my bargain basement ZX2. The sound is now very comparable to the P1. A couple of days agao, I tried the ER4s (red filter), and things were clearly moving in the right direction. I then went back to using a pair of Philips Fidelio's over the ears so that I was at least making use of the burn-in music - hate to see good music wasted 
L3000.gif
I found that using detailed iems during the "music madness" phase was just too painful!

This evening, I sat down to listen in more detail and reconnected the ER4s. Very, very pleasing sound. Articulate, precise & with no flab! Yes, I need to use bass boost, but I needed bass eq with the Cowon and the ER4s, so no change there. The Sony is certainly capable of boosting the bass without clobbering the higher frequencies too much. As I hoped, the player has grown into the ER4s - to the extent that I have just sold my ie800s; they have absolutely no function in my life anymore! A painful financial lesson - don't mess with the ety's!

Some days to go yet before I do the acid test. I suspect the weekpoint may be DSF files. About 1/3rd of my classical music is DSF. I'm trying to avoid them for now, but I did sneak a listen the other evening and they seemed to lack the wow factor the Cowon could deliver. Orchestral pieces can sound so majestic in DSF - I just hope the Sony can deliver on that in a way that is at least close to the Cowon.

Sun's shining, beer's cool, music's sublime - does it get amy better????!!!!!!

May 30, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #11,751 of 14,755
New toy to play with the ZX2 =)

May 30, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #11,753 of 14,755
Because Sony can't engineer a decent line out port to save their lives.

May 30, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #11,754 of 14,755
What amp is underneath ? The line out on the Walkman is never officially made by Sony, so don't blame Sony. The ZX2 has the best digital out on the market as a portable player. The Zx2 can utilize the Dock, and the Dongle cables as accessory which do contribute toward the ZX2 as an excellent digital transport.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/11490#post_12558710
Sony can make some analog line out from it Walkman port with some hard-ware inside just like the digital cables, but they do not want to because they do have Pha-3 if anyone need an amp

May 30, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #11,755 of 14,755
Its KSE1500's amp.  I don't care how good ZX2's LOD is technically...I shall classify it as **** when I cannot use my ZX2 with some of the best portable amps in the market.  The low-powered LOD makes all my TOTL IEM's hiss like crazy.

Also why would anyone want to use ZX2 as a transport, I guess for the potential 256gb of storage?  As a pure transport, ZX2 sounds no different than my Note 4 & Nexus 6P when connected to the Mojo.

May 30, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #11,756 of 14,755
Its KSE1500's amp.  I don't care how good ZX2's LOD is technically...I shall classify it as **** when I cannot use my ZX2 with some of the best portable amps in the market.  The low-powered LOD makes all my TOTL IEM's hiss like crazy.

Also why would anyone want to use ZX2 as a transport, I guess for the potential 256gb of storage?  As a pure transport, ZX2 sounds no different than my Note 4 & Nexus 6P when connected to the Mojo.

I'm keen for some impressions of the KSE1500 and ZX2 :)

May 31, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #11,758 of 14,755
Thanks very much for taking the time to write this up. I just went through with my zx2 as you specify and  simply couldn't believe the difference when I disabled the audio enhancements. I great experience. I was already impressed with the ZX2 but had this nagging voice in the back of my mind saying that something was wrong! Well now I know.
Thanks again
Julian

May 31, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #11,759 of 14,755
  Thanks very much for taking the time to write this up. I just went through with my zx2 as you specify and  simply couldn't believe the difference when I disabled the audio enhancements. I great experience. I was already impressed with the ZX2 but had this nagging voice in the back of my mind saying that something was wrong! Well now I know.
Thanks again
Julian

The 'Audio Enhancements' are included because marketing won the day at a table thumping design meeting?  Technical however incorporated the fad such that it could be overridden?

May 31, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #11,760 of 14,755
The 'Audio Enhancements' are included because marketing won the day at a table thumping design meeting?  Technical however incorporated the fad such that it could be overridden?

Some people like to use them and others don't. Nothing right or wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back