SONY NW-ZX2
May 31, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #11,761 of 14,773
Its KSE1500's amp.  I don't care how good ZX2's LOD is technically...I shall classify it as **** when I cannot use my ZX2 with some of the best portable amps in the market.  The low-powered LOD makes all my TOTL IEM's hiss like crazy.

Also why would anyone want to use ZX2 as a transport, I guess for the potential 256gb of storage?  As a pure transport, ZX2 sounds no different than my Note 4 & Nexus 6P when connected to the Mojo.

Are you referring to a digital line out, therefore bypassing sony's built in dac and amp or the analog line out which uses Sony's built in dac but bypasses the internal amp?

Cos the latter solution paired with a good (tube) amp sounds fantastic. Though I'm using the nwzx100

May 31, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #11,762 of 14,773
I made the same assumption as when you use Zx2 as a transport, the Zx2 skip the internal processing....I was wrong. It wasn't that simple, and Zx2 actually spend more processing power to process in "digital transport mode", the only thing it skips out would be the final class D analog amplification.

The Zx2 post digital signals could even be processed better using the dock or the dongle. There are obvious quality different between a docked Zx2 and a normal Zx2 with cheap cables in "digital transport modes"

May 31, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #11,763 of 14,773
I made the same assumption as when you use Zx2 as a transport, the Zx2 skip the internal processing....I was wrong. It wasn't that simple, and Zx2 actually spend more processing power to process in "digital transport mode", the only thing it skips out would be the final class D analog amplification.

The Zx2 post digital signals could even be processed better using the dock or the dongle. There are obvious quality different between a docked Zx2 and a normal Zx2 with cheap cables in "digital transport modes"

I am total agreement with Whittigir here.  I have nearly identical setup as him and the ZX2 + dedicated dock + good USB cable yields excellent results as a digital transport.

Jun 1, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #11,765 of 14,773
Hi Everyone - I've got a ZX2 complete with OEM Sony case & screen protector I'll be listing for $US690/$AU950 soon if anyone's interested.

Thanks,
Soapy

Jun 1, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #11,766 of 14,773

SanDisk Ultra 200 GB microSDXC Memory Card up to 90 MB/s, Class 10

50 pounds

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00V62XBQQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

SanDisk Ultra Android 128 GB MicroSDXC Class 10 Memory Card and SD Adapter

28 pounds

offer ends in 14 hours

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B010Q57S62/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Jun 1, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #11,767 of 14,773
Jun 1, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #11,769 of 14,773
If anyone is interested into Zx2 (Japanese unit) and full size headphones. I am serious though, these guys are too awesome with it...(Fostex)

TH900 is what I have, but I imagine anything else Fostex would be just fine :)

u kidding me ? Are u selling both ? Or i misunderstood ..

What are you thinking ? What is the next step ?

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #11,770 of 14,773
u kidding me ? Are u selling both ? Or i misunderstood ..

What are you thinking ? What is the next step ?

Lol...no...i am not selling, just telling people some ideas as many have thought Zx2 can not drive full size headphones properly. For now I am pretty done with my setup

Zx2, pHA 3, upgrades cables all around

Jun 2, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #11,772 of 14,773
My ZX2 just arrived...:) Now I'm official in the club..:)
I have one question regarding burn-in period. Sony claim at least 100 hours, here in the forum 250 is recommended. Is there any methodology for burning? I mean period of playing with period of resting or just to let it play till building enough hours? 

Just out of the box, the sound is not good at all, too harsh to my taste, nothing close to descriptions in this tread so it is important to me to pass this burn period asap.

Also any info from where in EU to buy TRRS 3.5mm to MMCX balanced cable for my JVC FX1100 will be appreciated a lot.

Jun 2, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #11,773 of 14,773
Out of interest how much did you pay for your ZX2 if you don't mind me asking?

It doesn't make any difference how you get there as long as you have headphones plugged in whilst playing as there needs to be a load on the amp for the burn in to take place. I just left mine playing over night on mid volume for the first few weeks of owning to speed up the process. 

Not sure about getting decent balanced cables in Europe. I am in the UK and spent a while looking and they all seemed to be in the US. I ended up buying one from Moon Audio. Great cable but I got hit with the import taxes/duty which was annoying! 

It certainly gets much better after the first 200hrs. When I first got mine I couldn't tell the difference AB to my phone. Now it is like night and day! 

Jun 2, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #11,774 of 14,773
My ZX2 just arrived...:) Now I'm official in the club..:)
I have one question regarding burn-in period. Sony claim at least 100 hours, here in the forum 250 is recommended. Is there any methodology for burning? I mean period of playing with period of resting or just to let it play till building enough hours? 

Just out of the box, the sound is not good at all, too harsh to my taste, nothing close to descriptions in this tread so it is important to me to pass this burn period asap.

Also any info from where in EU to buy TRRS 3.5mm to MMCX balanced cable for my JVC FX1100 will be appreciated a lot.

(Burning in): the time that your electrical components are matured ....etc....etc..I don't think there is any specific ways to burn-in. I best to burn in all my gears with the stuff that I hear and enjoy, so I let it plays my library for hundred hours with headphones attached and varied the output volume but targeting the mark that I often use until it reached it mature time.

Electricity is like a river. Imagine if you love fishing, you had a choice to have a river in the front of your cabin. What would you like to see ? A huge river ? Strong current ? Deep and wide volume ? Still current, more volume ? Slow current ? Less volume ? Yeah, it is all about the fish that you want to catch and the way that you would love to enjoy. Therefore, it is the same as burning in electricity. You use the best stuff that you would rather enjoy, and play it over and over to reach the state that you mostly enjoy :D

Just my methodology

Jun 2, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #11,775 of 14,773
I notice the price early in the tread. It was 454 EUR from amazon warehouse deals.There where several listed units /at least 10/ with minor marks on them, which start at 800EUR and dropped for two week period till mentioned price. I just check regularly. At 454 the units was sold in one day...:)
I'm very lucky, as the unit was described with minor marks on the front, but when arrived it is in like new condition, without any dents or marks on it. Only the box was dirty, may be this is the reason to be listed as warehouse deal, but who cares for the box...:)

I'm very pleased, I cannot afford 1000EUR for a dap, but 454 is very good price for a new ZX2 in mint condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back