SONY NW-ZX2
Nov 20, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #9,017 of 14,755
So you're double amping with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm?  ZX2 doesn't allow changing of volume if you're using line out.

Nov 20, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #9,019 of 14,755
From experience, making the move to a balanced, 3.5mm terminated cable will have a positive impact to the overall sound quality. The few vendors who offer this don't come cheap, another option would be to use a 2.5mm to 3.5mm balanced adapter (I'm using one by Ted Allen), and try the more plentiful 2.5mm balanced terminated TRRS cables out there

Another option would be to cut 3.5mm TRS adapter and install TRRS adapter instead. I think TRRS will be compatible with TRS outputs.

Nov 20, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #9,020 of 14,755
Another option would be to cut 3.5mm TRS adapter and install TRRS adapter instead. I think TRRS will be compatible with TRS outputs.

Nope.. TRRS is not compatible with TRS Jacks. You get sound in one channel only if you use it on non TRRS outputs

Nov 20, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #9,021 of 14,755
Hi ZX2 owners, wondering if you could share your experience using the ZX2 and a LDAC capable headphone like the MDR-1ABT?

Am currently using the 1ABT with Apt-X and wondering if the ZX2's LDAC output is worth the price of admission, or would something like the A17 do just a good a job wirelessly? 

Basically, would most of the ZX2's benefits be realised only on a wired connection, and would audio quality via LDAC be the same with the ZX2 and other lower end Sony players?

Thanks! :)

Nov 20, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #9,022 of 14,755
Hi ZX2 owners, wondering if you could share your experience using the ZX2 and a LDAC capable headphone like the MDR-1ABT?

Am currently using the 1ABT with Apt-X and wondering if the ZX2's LDAC output is worth the price of admission, or would something like the A17 do just a good a job wirelessly? 

Basically, would most of the ZX2's benefits be realised only on a wired connection, and would audio quality via LDAC be the same with the ZX2 and other lower end Sony players?

Thanks! :)

Do understand this, the LDAC is a codec, and the decoding will be on the DAC that was built in onto the headphones. In this case it is your 1A-BT. Perhaps there will be sound differences as the way the codecs were coded from the source (zx2) vs A-17 ? I am not sure, but I bet it will be different. However, will it be worth it ? Nah...the true potential of ZX2 is only exposed with wired connection

If your goal is to use it wirelessly with 1A-BT, even a smartphone like Z5 will do. Because the one who will be singing to you is the S-master that is built in on the 1A-BT.

Hope that help.

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #9,023 of 14,755
Nope.. TRRS is not compatible with TRS Jacks. You get sound in one channel only if you use it on non TRRS outputs

Are you sure about this?

TRRS vs TRS:

Wiring for ZX2 would be:

I could be wrong, but what I see from here is the L+ and R+ are the same, L- and R- are split in TRRS and they are commonly shorted with TRS. What I am missing then?

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #9,024 of 14,755
Are you sure about this?

TRRS vs TRS:

Wiring for ZX2 would be:

I could be wrong, but what I see from here is the L+ and R+ are the same, L- and R- are split in TRRS and they are commonly shorted with TRS. What I am missing then?

What you are missing is that they are separate terminals. It depends on the way the female jack on the TRS is terminated. There were cases reported that TRRS does work in TRS jack, but sound will be lesser or losing volume and quality in one channel , and some will only hear sound coming from 1 channel.

What happened = thicker TRS terminals may hold onto the other terminal on TRRS and barely making contact where as the other one is fully contacted.....just the way electric flows behavior, they tends to flow in the direction that is most efficient. So it explains why the barely contacted channel does get some bad quality audio.

In a sense....it doesn't work. Unless you make an adapter to short the 2 grounds together, which is not hard.

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #9,025 of 14,755
What you are missing is that they are separate terminals. It depends on the way the female jack on the TRS is terminated. There were cases reported that TRRS does work in TRS jack, but sound will be lesser or losing volume and quality in one channel , and some will only hear sound coming from 1 channel.

I think there could just one reason why TRRS might not work in TRS termination - physical surface contact might be dragged away to the end of sleeve and can be quite narrow, in this case L- will not be connected. 

Nov 20, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #9,026 of 14,755

I think there could just one reason why TRRS might not work in TRS termination - physical surface contact might be dragged away to the end of sleeve and can be quite narrow, in this case L- will not be connected. 

Thats what i think.

A way i found to get around that, although bulky, is to plug the trrs into into a 3.5 to 6.3 mm adaptor. Apparently the surface of those things do contact both the upper ring and the sleeve. U can then get a 6.3 to 3.5 adsptor to get it back to 3.5

Doing so gives u normal sound from both sides

Users who are viewing this thread

Back