SONY NW-ZX2
Nov 19, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #9,001 of 14,773

if i connect my arrow 4G amp via line out , will i also be utilising the amp section only , while keeping the sonic signature of my ZX2 ?

If you use the line out, then yes, you will not be utilising the amp of the ZX2 but instead that of the arrow. 

Nov 19, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #9,002 of 14,773

If you use the line out, then yes, you will not be utilising the amp of the ZX2 but instead that of the arrow. 

but the zx2 tonality will remain , right ?

Nov 19, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #9,003 of 14,773
Using any external device be it dac or amp will change the sound as you bypass parts of the ZX2 (unless you take analog from the headphone out and thereby double amp) and introduce the signature of the external device

Nov 19, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #9,004 of 14,773

but the zx2 tonality will remain , right ?

Well, the tonality of the DAC section will remain but the tonality of the amp will also colour the sound. Because the tonality of the ZX2 comes from the DAC section and the amp section of the ZX2

Nov 19, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #9,005 of 14,773
well at least the arrow 4G is a neutral amp so i hope not much colouring will take place

thanx for the help , guys 
beerchug.gif

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #9,006 of 14,773

If you connect it digitally then the ZX2 turns into a transport only, if you connect it via line out then you are only utilising the amp section of the pha3 and not the dac section. 

if i connect my arrow 4G amp via line out , will i also be utilising the amp section only , while keeping the sonic signature of my ZX2 ?

sime how bingo!, some amp can change signature, some are neutral.... but yeah i want also an arrow to scale up my A3 a bit more

Nov 19, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #9,010 of 14,773
checking in.

some good info posted since my last visit. tons of time spent with mine - paired with momentum 2.0s (over ear wired). it just gets better and better. was able to score a new copy of rumours on dvd audio. ripped and tagged the 24/96 stereo tracks to flac and threw it on the nw-zx2, put the phones on and proceeded to fall back in my chair. i listened to just about every genre and this rig continues to impress. original reprise issued CD of electric warrior is also pretty stellar. the fuzz just oozes out of bolan's guitar.

interesting comments regarding people switching to alternate players and looking for amps that don't color the zx2's signature sound. i decided to stick with the stock player for reasons mentioned earlier in the thread regarding its integration with the hardware from a design perspective. the only thing i really don't like is how it handles 'greatest hits' albums. doesn't appear to take the artist tag under consideration and groups them all together. lucky for me, the momentum's have a low impedance to be driven well enough for me. that might change in the future if i decide to try another pair of phones.

i'd like know what kind of headphone cable upgrade would work with my current setup. seen some mentioned in this thread, but a good deal don't appear to offer one for my phones.

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #9,011 of 14,773
i'd like know what kind of headphone cable upgrade would work with my current setup. seen some mentioned in this thread, but a good deal don't appear to offer one for my phones.

From experience, making the move to a balanced, 3.5mm terminated cable will have a positive impact to the overall sound quality. The few vendors who offer this don't come cheap, another option would be to use a 2.5mm to 3.5mm balanced adapter (I'm using one by Ted Allen), and try the more plentiful 2.5mm balanced terminated TRRS cables out there

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #9,012 of 14,773
From experience, making the move to a balanced, 3.5mm terminated cable will have a positive impact to the overall sound quality. The few vendors who offer this don't come cheap, another option would be to use a 2.5mm to 3.5mm balanced adapter (I'm using one by Ted Allen), and try the more plentiful 2.5mm balanced terminated TRRS cables out there

Can you link me to the 2.5mm to 3.5mm balanced adapter please.  Thanks.

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #9,014 of 14,773
i use the zx2 with roxannes and ie800.  the amp section is perfectly fine, with my lcd3f i run a imicro via a fiio cable the removes the amp only, sounds amazing. as a transport with the n10 cable it works well but does jitter. overall if i could just transport out more then 16/44 i would think its perfect   

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #9,015 of 14,773
No hissing with the iMicro? I agree that the ZX2 can power any IEM's just fine unless you are listening to music at an unsafe level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back