SONY NW-ZX2
Nov 18, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #8,986 of 14,773
Interesting to hear such negative feedback for the Vorzamp, I've been hoping to audition one with my ZX2 for a while now. For sake of completeness, did you try it with a European, Japanese or other version of the ZX2?

And anyone here have feedback on the other 2 (CDM and Mojo)? Or have something else they're loving that I haven't considered?

There is nothing wrong with the amp, it's the low line out from ZX2 that is the problem

Nov 18, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #8,987 of 14,773
Asia version.  Don't get me wrong, Pure II+ is an absolutely amazing amp, definitely the best portable amp I've heard with its black noise floor and dynamics.  Just such a shame you can't really use it with the ZX2, sigh.

Yup, strictly speaking with the ZX2, I understand it might be just fine with others, in fact after reading about how well it works with other DAPs/phones, that's what made me interested in the first place. Looks like that's one option crossed off the list

Nov 18, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #8,988 of 14,773
The Mojo is to small for the ZX2, not very convenient. The ALO CDM is expensive compare the PHA-3.
I Think the PHA-3 is the best DAC/AMP for the ZX2, you can import the PHA-3 for $600 or you can buy it in the USA
for $750. Venturecraft Japan also make good DAC/AMP but can get pricey.

Nov 18, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #8,989 of 14,773
looks like ZX2 is made for iem users ?

at least , this is the impression i get from all the comments in here 

we need to say this , so that potential ZX2 buyers who use full HP should look somewhere else ?

Nov 18, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #8,990 of 14,773
I have both cdm and mojo.

My breakdown is like this.
Iem zx2 is perfectly fine.

If you drive headphones especially vocal related, zx2 to cdm via single end will be better for me. More power yet retain the absolute smoothness and plenty of air. Drives with authority.

If you need bite, dynamic, has tons of bass and instrument, the mojo will sound better.

But you know can make the ultimate stack of zx2 to mojo to cdm. But honestly I don't do it often as its heavy and totally too hot. Only worth for using with headphones that demand absolute performance like hifiman and adezes.

I rate cdm amp better then zx2. And the tube sound

The mojo is just different signature. In complex high energy passage, the zx2 I felt just can't keep up.

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #8,991 of 14,773

we need to say this , so that potential ZX2 buyers who use full HP should look somewhere else ?

It works fine with Ultrasone Signature Pro and with sound enhancement app disabled the EU version is even perfectly usable even with my HE-500 though clearly not ideal

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #8,992 of 14,773
Well, most of my headphones run quite well with zx2 as they are efficient, only lcd 2.2 while it sound nice but its not driven to full potential and the volume also is abit low (zx2 japanese)

I use it with alo rx-mk3b through lod cable analogue out, and its driven quite well but with highest gain and highest volume on amp, i havent tried it with iems but the rx-mk3b is known to hiss with iems.

also lcd 2.2 from zx2 has a warm signature, with rx-mk3b its more on the bright side, and the bass knob is brilliant on this amp it adds bass and a full body to sound..

i advice to try it out though..

iam waiting also for my liquid carbon which is more of a desktop or transportable amp, still some time to receive it, may be then i will share my opinion..

one question about the mojo also, can you use only the amp section ? I guess not, zx2 will then be used as a transport ?

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #8,994 of 14,773
Well, most of my headphones run quite well with zx2 as they are efficient, only lcd 2.2 while it sound nice but its not driven to full potential and the volume also is abit low (zx2 japanese)

I use it with alo rx-mk3b through lod cable analogue out, and its driven quite well but with highest gain and highest volume on amp, i havent tried it with iems but the rx-mk3b is known to hiss with iems.

also lcd 2.2 from zx2 has a warm signature, with rx-mk3b its more on the bright side, and the bass knob is brilliant on this amp it adds bass and a full body to sound..

i advice to try it out though..

iam waiting also for my liquid carbon which is more of a desktop or transportable amp, still some time to receive it, may be then i will share my opinion..

one question about the mojo also, can you use only the amp section ? I guess not, zx2 will then be used as a transport ?

Mojo can only be runned dac. So yes zx2 will be transport. But its a sound signature thing really.

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #8,995 of 14,773

Well, it'd be nice if we can actually use a portable amp with it when we want to run headphones.

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #8,996 of 14,773
So based on the feedback so far, this seems to be the consensus:

1. Chord Mojo - good SQ, but effectively turns the ZX2 into transport only, bit of a waste
2. Vorzuge Vorzamp - great amp, but bad synergy with the ZX2
3. ALO CDM - good SQ, tube sound, but expensive

Looks like I'm in the market for a used CDM so far :wink: Here's another thought, anyone tried their ZX2 with any of the iFi gear? iDSD or iCan especially?

EDIT: One other aspect that I overlooked so far is how much I enjoy just using the ZX2 for extended periods with a single charge, it can go for days in my bag before needing to be topped up. Seems inevitable whatever option I explore for the amp, I'll need to stop for more frequent charge cycles.

Some have also mentioned the PHA-3, just wanted to clarify, does the ZX2 work in transport-only mode with that as well? The sound signature depends entirely on the PHA-3 components (which for some reason don't have the native audio circuitry as per the ZX2 >.> )?

Nov 18, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #8,997 of 14,773
Pha 3 can take analog in as well. You can do analog LOD from zx2 to pha-3, or headphones out to pha 3. You can even use zx2 as transport only to pha 3...it won't matter. The matter is that pha-3 will alter the zx2 sounds no matter how you choose to connect =)

Nov 18, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #8,998 of 14,773
I wouldn't say its bad synergy between ZX2 and VorzAmp, the simple fact is that unless you want hissing in your music and pretty much defeat the purpose of Pure II+'s dark background, then go ahead and pair them up.

Its just unusable with the ZX2, not bad synergy.  Such a shame...

Ugh....why is the ZX2 line out volume so low, makes zero sense.

Nov 19, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #8,999 of 14,773
So based on the feedback so far, this seems to be the consensus:

1. Chord Mojo - good SQ, but effectively turns the ZX2 into transport only, bit of a waste
2. Vorzuge Vorzamp - great amp, but bad synergy with the ZX2
3. ALO CDM - good SQ, tube sound, but expensive

Looks like I'm in the market for a used CDM so far
wink.gif
Here's another thought, anyone tried their ZX2 with any of the iFi gear? iDSD or iCan especially?

EDIT: One other aspect that I overlooked so far is how much I enjoy just using the ZX2 for extended periods with a single charge, it can go for days in my bag before needing to be topped up. Seems inevitable whatever option I explore for the amp, I'll need to stop for more frequent charge cycles.

Some have also mentioned the PHA-3, just wanted to clarify, does the ZX2 work in transport-only mode with that as well? The sound signature depends entirely on the PHA-3 components (which for some reason don't have the native audio circuitry as per the ZX2 >.> )?

If you connect it digitally then the ZX2 turns into a transport only, if you connect it via line out then you are only utilising the amp section of the pha3 and not the dac section. 

Nov 19, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #9,000 of 14,773

If you connect it digitally then the ZX2 turns into a transport only, if you connect it via line out then you are only utilising the amp section of the pha3 and not the dac section. 

if i connect my arrow 4G amp via line out , will i also be utilising the amp section only , while keeping the sonic signature of my ZX2 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back