SONY NW-ZX2
Nov 18, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #8,971 of 14,773
Well stock player here too since I have DSD64 files. Once it's hooked up with the PHA-3 with the Walkman cable, the sound enhancement app will get disabled so I'm not really missing anything lol!

The question would be whether Sony did have something similar to the sound enhancement app in the pha 3 ?

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #8,972 of 14,773
The question would be whether Sony did have something similar to the sound enhancement app in the pha 3 ?

The PHA-3 has DSEE HX and bass boost is all I know of, nothing as fancy as sound processing of the ZX2.

For the record, based on hundreds of hours with each, I do think the ZX2 has a more engaging/refined sound than the PHA-3 (or richer sound i.e better micro detail and dynamics, imaging, and overall very natural signature if you will), and that's with the sound enhancement turned off.

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #8,973 of 14,773
The PHA-3 has DSEE HX and bass boost is all I know of, nothing as fancy as sound processing of the ZX2.

For the record, based on hundreds of hours with each, I do think the ZX2 has a more engaging/refined sound than the PHA-3 (or richer sound i.e better micro detail and dynamics, imaging, and overall very natural signature if you will), and that's with the sound enhancement turned off.

I don't doubt that ZX2 is more refined in sound quality as I always suspected that Sony did a lot of R&D on the zx2. The PHA-3 is just another off the shelves components being put together by Sony engineers. Good to hear your confirmations over this. Thank you

I had been trying to get a good amp that does not alternate the sound coming off from the ZX2 line out. But no luck so far.

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #8,974 of 14,773
I don't doubt that ZX2 is more refined in sound quality as I always suspected that Sony did a lot of R&D on the zx2. The PHA-3 is just another off the shelves components being put together by Sony engineers. Good to hear your confirmations over this. Thank you

I had been trying to get a good amp that does not alternate the sound coming off from the ZX2 line out. But no luck so far.

Don't mistake me, the PHA-3 is really good (but yes, ESS9018 powered) but I was just amazed at what comes out of the ZX2. 

I'd be interested in an amp that complements the ZX2 for power hungry headphones :)

PHA-3 is DAC/amp, I don't know if those can be used as pure amps with no processing of the signal, no expert... basically you'd wamp an amp that doesn't process the signal and is fairly neutral ?

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #8,975 of 14,773
Don't mistake me, the PHA-3 is really good (but yes, ESS9018 powered) but I was just amazed at what comes out of the ZX2. 

I'd be interested in an amp that complements the ZX2 for power hungry headphones :)

PHA-3 is DAC/amp, I don't know if those can be used as pure amps with no processing of the signal, no expert... basically you'd wamp an amp that doesn't process the signal and is fairly neutral ?

Yeah, I have seen a few members reporting with Aune b1, but I am not sure how will it alter the zx2 sound though. Also it doesn't support balanced in and out, as I may just want to connect TRRS out from zx2 to the amp, and get the amp to output balanced .... Tough ....

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #8,976 of 14,773
So, I've been contemplating getting a separate portable amp to complement my ZX2, without adversely affecting the sound quality. I'm a big believer of a TRRS cable improving the imaging in particular, and prefer the stock player with enhancements on. I've been considering the following options:

1. Chord Mojo (DAC/amp, could have a negative nett effect)
2. Vorzuge Vorzamp pure II + (amp only, highly rated)
3. ALO CDM (DAC/amp, interesting sound signature with tubes)

But overall, none of the above have a balanced out, and in any case, would rely on the LOD out from the ZX2. Have any here used these? Alternately, what's the favourite pairing with your ZX2? Synergy is key, I think

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #8,977 of 14,773
So, I've been contemplating getting a separate portable amp to complement my ZX2, without adversely affecting the sound quality. I'm a big believer of a TRRS cable improving the imaging in particular, and prefer the stock player with enhancements on. I've been considering the following options:

But overall, none of the above have a balanced out, and in any case, would rely on the LOD out from the ZX2. Have any here used these? Alternately, what's the favourite pairing with your ZX2? Synergy is key, I think

I tried it with my SR71-B both line out and pseudobalanced from the headphoneout to balanced in and with balanced headphones but apart from more driving power I really did not feel that the extra bulk of the amp was worth it and didn't really find that it was an improvement as such, just a different sound. The ZX2 really is very very good on it's own and I haven't even tried it with a trrs cable on the headphones yet, will get my reterminated Whiplas TWau Reference on Friday

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #8,978 of 14,773

Don't bother with the Vorzamp, I can't use it with my ZX2 really.  The digital out volume is way too low, forcing you to turn up the gain and volume of the amp, which causes hissing in all my headphones/iem in my sig.

Nov 18, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #8,979 of 14,773

Don't bother with the Vorzamp, I can't use it with my ZX2 really.  The digital out volume is way too low, forcing you to turn up the gain and volume of the amp, which causes hissing in all my headphones/iem in my sig.

Wow, that must be some seriously low digital output, as the Pure II has a really black noise floor!  
blink.gif

Nov 18, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #8,980 of 14,773
Yep the line out is really low

Nov 18, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #8,982 of 14,773

Yep the line out is really low

That probably will effectively eliminate a large number of portable amps using the digital out.  Also, digital out limits your sample rate to 44/16 with any 3rd party player.

Nov 18, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #8,983 of 14,773
That probably will effectively eliminate a large number of portable amps using the digital out.  Also, digital out limits your sample rate to 44/16 with any 3rd party player.

It'a analog out to an amp, digital out to a dac

Nov 18, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #8,984 of 14,773

Interesting to hear such negative feedback for the Vorzamp, I've been hoping to audition one with my ZX2 for a while now. For sake of completeness, did you try it with a European, Japanese or other version of the ZX2?

And anyone here have feedback on the other 2 (CDM and Mojo)? Or have something else they're loving that I haven't considered?

Nov 18, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #8,985 of 14,773
  Wow, that must be some seriously low digital output, as the Pure II has a really black noise floor!  
blink.gif

Yeah, really blows.  Good thing the Pure II+ is a perfect pairing with my DX90, or I'd be pissed...

Interesting to hear such negative feedback for the Vorzamp, I've been hoping to audition one with my ZX2 for a while now. For sake of completeness, did you try it with a European, Japanese or other version of the ZX2?

And anyone here have feedback on the other 2 (CDM and Mojo)? Or have something else they're loving that I haven't considered?

Asia version.  Don't get me wrong, Pure II+ is an absolutely amazing amp, definitely the best portable amp I've heard with its black noise floor and dynamics.  Just such a shame you can't really use it with the ZX2, sigh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back