SONY NW-ZX2
Oct 17, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #8,326 of 14,771
Same story A10 and ZX100 enabled by default but in these two walkmans you simply set them to off/None and you are done

Oct 17, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #8,327 of 14,771
OK... After my excitement I tried a different set of headphones, and the results are different.

Originally I used se535's on a particular track and the vol was around 50%. The "fix" made it a lot louder at that setting.

I then tried Bowers and Wilkins P7s, which needed the vol control to be much higher for the same apparent volume, and I found that the "fix" had little or no effect.

I wonder if removing the Adjustments app just alters the linearity of the volume control and not the maximum volume? I can't put the se525s high enough to prove this.

That may explain why some people see change and other don't?

You are also correct. It probably remove the "Volume Cap" from EU unit. But it will not in anyways increase "Max volume output" of ZX2. When you are driving any Headphones full size, it will only stop at the "maximum capacity output" that the ZX2 can pour out.

It means, on my Z7 it got the loudest at 65%, and the rest will remain the same even if I max the volume bar out. However if the sound adjustment apps were to be still "Not-disabled" the volume will be only max at 100%.

****The important thing here***** is the

1/ Audio Quality improvement, no dips, no funky quality
2/ better, more accurate Instruments tonality, seperation, and positioning
3/ better soundstage, and more accuracy on senses of spaces or depth of field.

Oct 17, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #8,328 of 14,771
Well i tried this and it worked first time the volume is doubled i use se846 at around 50%, with the sound adjustment disabled i listen to around 20 to 25%, i compared through one song but i felt no noticable improvement, restarted the dap and tried going there one more time but its inconsistent, tried it couple of times but no luck anyway i think it could be of use for someone needing more volume, but for me its not worth the hassle you go through to disable it.

Oct 17, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #8,329 of 14,771

OK... After my excitement I tried a different set of headphones, and the results are different.

Originally I used se535's on a particular track and the vol was around 50%. The "fix" made it a lot louder at that setting.

I then tried Bowers and Wilkins P7s, which needed the vol control to be much higher for the same apparent volume, and I found that the "fix" had little or no effect.

I wonder if removing the Adjustments app just alters the linearity of the volume control and not the maximum volume? I can't put the se525s high enough to prove this.

the only real way to know that change is real, is keeping your volume slider at 25-30% when before you had it at 55-65%
tongue.gif

this is why i know it happened , this is working (in my EU model at least)

i put on another vinyl rip (marvin gaye - i want you) , sound is at 25-30% (maybe it's 27%)

but as NC8000 stated , i was fine before at 60%

the welcome change is the sound change , as my fellow zx2 user caryrun can state , only 3 days ago i sent him a pm whining how there is something bugging me about the zx2 sound when everything was supposed to sound stellar (this is why we paid so much money , right ? )

well now , the sound is much more natural and enjoyable

there fore i raise my glass as a toast to whitigr and say ''**** those sound enhancements'' 
tongue.gif

Oct 17, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #8,332 of 14,771
ZX walkmans are truly magical things  to achieve neutral sounds (NON-MID-CENTRIC nor BASSY MESS) from MDR-1R with only 15mW per channel has me on O_____________________O state ... my A10 with 10mW per channel made the MDR-1R sound the worst phones i've ever had like iPhone speaker blaring music

Maybe ZX where bewitched by Potter expecto patronum conjure LOL

Oct 17, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #8,333 of 14,771
Now I'm just waiting for a friend to reterminate my Whiplash TWau Reference JH13 cable from Kobicon to trrs to gain the benefit from the seperated ground.

Oct 17, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #8,334 of 14,771

I did what you recommended and the volume up x2 o x3 I thought it would not work and I almost blow mi ears jajajaja  

Oct 17, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #8,335 of 14,771
the only real way to know that change is real, is keeping your volume slider at 25-30% when before you had it at 55-65%
:p  

this is why i know it happened , this is working (in my EU model at least)

i put on another vinyl rip (marvin gaye - i want you) , sound is at 25-30% (maybe it's 27%)

but as NC8000 stated , i was fine before at 60%

the welcome change is the sound change , as my fellow zx2 user caryrun can state , only 3 days ago i sent him a pm whining how there is something bugging me about the zx2 sound when everything was supposed to sound stellar (this is why we paid so much money , right ? )

well now , the sound is much more natural and enjoyable

there fore i raise my glass as a toast to whitigr and say ''**** those sound enhancements'' :p  

Yupe ! Cheer ! I know the sound improvements is kind of hard to observe, but once you know it, it is there and it is very awesome VS stock form the peak and dips are very bothersome. It will make you want to buy another DAP lol. I am glad that you also observed the same thing. Yes! Most importantly is we both chasing the truth in our collection of music. And ultimately we did squeeze out every bit of juice and quality from ZX2 :D

Oct 17, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #8,336 of 14,771
One thing I want to share:
I thought nothing happened and the sound volume didnt really changed but then I realized the second slider "Music, video, ..." was not (no longer?!) fully to the right, and I am pretty sure it was, so I pushed it all the way to the right.
Now master slider (first one) is indeed lower to the left! So check the middle slider ...

Oct 17, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #8,337 of 14,771
Hope sony new spin off of walkman leanr that American continent is also a great sales & profit unit not jst the "abandoned" part of the wrold we are today

a bit of my memory lane in pictures i don't have anymore these walkmen i used to own

Left: VAIO music clip from 2000-2004, Right NW-E507 1GB from 2004 to 2008 forogot SQ of vaio vlip, E500 vague rmemeber it sounded so digital kind of iPod classic but more fun

Left A818 from 2007 to 2010, Right X1060 from 2009 to 2011: A818 sounded less digital than e500 and X sounded very warm vinylesque

from 2000-2015 i've owned 6 sony Daps... 5 of them walkman a dnt eh VAIO branded clip pen with averaging 3 to 4 yrs per DAP except A17 which lasted 10 months pricing between 200 and 700 (yikes x0160 costed 700 usd in its time here in mexico)

Coolest Looking.. E507 super cool OLED display O__O it glow in the darka nd gave a "floating" efefct on the font super haha
Great build A818 and ZX100
Great SQ: X1060, A17 and ZX100

Oct 17, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #8,338 of 14,771
Yes

1/ open enhancement app, and tick DSEE HX or whatever options, don't matter.
2/ go to setting, then apps
3/ swipe left to the end for the tab "all"
4/ scroll down and look for "sound enhancement" app. Select it, disable
5/ confirm

***if you are listening while disabling the app*** turn your volume down....the sound will be 2-3x louder at the same volume level !! Don't blow your ears drums

I believe I get the best juices and quality from ZX2. Now this is true audio quality, and non of the color, software enhancement craps....won't even be possible to EQ, but I doubt you need it if "true, accuracy, realistic, quality" music is what you are chasing for. Assuming why you buy this ZX2 in the first place :D

1/ use TRRS connection whenever possible
2/ have to disable "sound enhancement" apps

Thank you....

Oct 17, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #8,339 of 14,771
Hate to spoil all this wonderful bromance but max vol output remains the same after the tweak.Tested with ie800 after around 60% vol doesn't increase. Those with easy to drive iems shouldn't bother at all since you lose sound enhancement app and clear bass along with studio surround +Dsee Hx although somewhat artificial sounding  is a nice option to have depending on mood and song.

Oct 17, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #8,340 of 14,771
Hate to spoil all this wonderful bromance but max vol output remains the same after the tweak.Tested with ie800 after around 60% vol doesn't increase. Those with easy to drive iems shouldn't bother at all since you lose sound enhancement app and clear bass along with studio surround +Dsee Hx although somewhat artificial sounding  is a nice option to have depending on mood and song.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/8295#post_12001421

Go through this, if you have time :wink:

Also this

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/8325#post_12001929

Users who are viewing this thread

Back