SONY NW-ZX2
Oct 17, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #8,296 of 14,773
I'm not a pro when it comes to listening to music, as long as the music is at acceptable quality, I'm ok with that, I'm not that good when picking out the bits and bobs, but I'm impressed with the SQ of the ZX2, also I have all the sound enhancements disabled from the beginning.

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #8,297 of 14,773
I'm not a pro when it comes to listening to music, as long as the music is at acceptable quality, I'm ok with that, I'm not that good when picking out the bits and bobs, but I'm impressed with the SQ of the ZX2, also I have all the sound enhancements disabled from the beginning.

Yupe the best sound quality come when "Sound enhancement" app is disabled. But then there won't be EQ to play around with :D. So to people who love tinkering with EQ and all, the next best option would be the combination with DSEE HX and Stereo Studio.

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #8,298 of 14,773

Yupe the best sound quality come when "Sound enhancement" app is disabled. But then there won't be EQ to play around with
biggrin.gif
. So to people who love tinkering with EQ and all, the next best option would be the combination with DSEE HX and Stereo Studio.

I never use the EQ either, with all my music on the ZX2, and previous players, all EQ and other sound enhancements are always off or disabled. 

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #8,299 of 14,773
Well, the problem with my ZX2 recently that I realized....the lower-trebles were weak and appear lacked of energy....in non-enhanced sound effects form

2/ If DHSEE HX is on, the sound will mostly remain Flat, and a little boost on the trebles...more like a little spikes, and that make the trebles while still being lower-trebles weak, the spikes make almost the rest of trebles spectrum kind of feel artificial just because the whole tonal body is not exactly there. It is not really that noticeable though, mostly it would sound just a little sharper on the trebles end from normal observation

3/ if Surround sound "Studio" is on only "The best sound enhancement" in my opinion. It helps artificially expand the field of sound a little larger and wider, not by as much as clear audio, and it also does not V-shape the sound too much. Due to this, the sounds seperation got a little better while still remaining flat. Still artificial though. Somehow the trebles tonal body is with better resolution and energy. But lower-trebles still may not be satisfying enough unless you tick that DSEE HX as well.

*****the weak thing***** the lower-mid Get some what veiled....sheesh! It is still there but with less clarity

So the best sounding from the DAP is to combine both "Surround Studio" and DSEE HX. Did I mention it still remain some what artificial ? Luckily the tonal body of instruments remain realistic.

Now, back in stock non-enhanced form, the lower-trebles is weak, and it will be more likely unsatisfying.

This is me being picky like a prick, and speaking honestly from using my brightest and truest headphones MdR-SA5000 modded for the ultimate xperiences.

My ultimate conclusion on the ZX2 ? Sony gimped it overall sound quality down to allow people the ability to hear changes from their so called "cutting edge technology". Is ZX2 an excellent DAP though ? Absolutely ! But Sony need to allow people to utilize the best of the player quality without gimping it.

So my ultimate Resolution :

Go to setting, and disable the Sound-enhancement app. Make sure you use the app before disabling it like ticking DSEE HX and whatever else. Disable it for the best ultimate listening experience, and the truest form of quality from ZX2.

1st bold : i use my K3003 with the high boost filters , as i sense what you are saying

2nd bold " i only uses the 'studio' position and it improves the sound a lot from the 'off' - will try it also with the DSEE

3rd bold (and most important) : how do we disable this app ?

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #8,300 of 14,773
Yes

1/ open enhancement app, and tick DSEE HX or whatever options, don't matter.
2/ go to setting, then apps
3/ swipe left to the end for the tab "all"
4/ scroll down and look for "sound enhancement" app. Select it, disable
5/ confirm

***if you are listening while disabling the app*** turn your volume down....the sound will be 2-3x louder at the same volume level !! Don't blow your ears drums

I believe I get the best juices and quality from ZX2. Now this is true audio quality, and non of the color, software enhancement craps....won't even be possible to EQ, but I doubt you need it if "true, accuracy, realistic, quality" music is what you are chasing for. Assuming why you buy this ZX2 in the first place :D

1/ use TRRS connection whenever possible
2/ have to disable "sound enhancement" apps

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #8,301 of 14,773
Yes

5/ confirm

I believe I get the best juices and quality from ZX2. Now this is true audio quality, and non of the color, software enhancement craps....won't even be possible to EQ, but I doubt you need it if "true, accuracy, realistic, quality" music is what you are chasing for. Assuming why you buy this ZX2 in the first place
biggrin.gif

i only see a 'sound adjustment' app running

is this the one you mean ?

edit : nvm , it is inside the 'sound adjustment' app

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #8,302 of 14,773
i only see a 'sound adjustment' app running

is this the one you mean ?

Yes :D, the same icon that you open for DSEE HX stuff. If you correctly disabled it, you will hear the sound 2-3 times louder at the same volume level. If you don't hear the sound being louder, you did not do it correctly. Restart the player, repeat the steps, turn it on. Then restart again, and start all over.

The trick is to "have to use the enhancement app effects" before disabling it.

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #8,303 of 14,773
Yes
biggrin.gif
, the same icon that you open for DSEE HX stuff

i disabled it and then if i return to the sound settings , it still shows the DSEE running (tick ON)

is this normal or do i need to shut down/restart my ZX2 ?

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #8,304 of 14,773
i disabled it and then if i return to the sound settings , it still shows the DSEE running (tick ON)

is this normal or do i need to shut down/restart my ZX2 ?

If you do it correctly, the icon should be gone, and you can't open the app anymore as shown. The sound volume will appears 2-3 times louder at the same level.

If you failed go back there, scroll to the bottom....enable it. Restart and do it again.

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #8,305 of 14,773
If you do it correctly, the icon should be gone, and you can't open the app anymore as shown. The sound volume will appears 2-3 times louder at the same level.

it still shows , let me do it again

one last thing , if i want to get the sound apps back on , i do the same thing reversed ? go to the apps and enable it back , right ?

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #8,306 of 14,773
it still shows , let me do it again

one last thing , if i want to get the sound apps back on , i do the same thing reversed ? go to the apps and enable it back , right ?

Correct ! It won't hurt, it is only an app that does ugly things to true audio performances. Just bothersome as you need to restart every time you enable or disable it :D

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #8,307 of 14,773
Correct ! It won't hurt, it is only and app that does ugly things to true audio performances

**** it worked and yeah the sound got MUCH louder - feels like you took the EU volume cap off

wow , i have my vol at 25% , down from 50% 
eek.gif

WOW man 
beerchug.gif

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #8,309 of 14,773
Yes

5/ confirm

***if you are listening while disabling the app*** turn your volume down....the sound will be 2-3x louder at the same volume level !! Don't blow your ears drums

I believe I get the best juices and quality from ZX2. Now this is true audio quality, and non of the color, software enhancement craps....won't even be possible to EQ, but I doubt you need it if "true, accuracy, realistic, quality" music is what you are chasing for. Assuming why you buy this ZX2 in the first place
biggrin.gif

someone make this post sticky 
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #8,310 of 14,773
Well, the problem with my ZX2 recently that I realized....the lower-trebles were weak and appear lacked of energy....in non-enhanced sound effects form

Hell, it had been a few days that I tinkered with the Walkman app and the effects of enhancements. The uses of EQ adjustment within the app couldn't even fix this without ticking other enhancement options.

1/ if the "Clear Audio +" is on, the sound field appears a bit artificial with that halls effects and reverb ? And if used with any non-flat gears, the sound will became hugely more v-shaped. And it makes the vocal fall back very noticeable. I can see if someone is used to just non-adjusted/enhanced effects dislike this so much, just like I do. Well the problems is that to folks who don't really cater toward the "Accuracy, and analytical", but just want music. I can see it is an excellent feature.

A/ it helps immerse the listener into a deeper, wider, larger sound of field
B/ more V-shape = helps the musical flow better and more continuous with fluidity
C/ it also boost the "lower-trebles" which was weak in a non-enhanced form.
Also, somehow the volume is a little boosted over-all

*****But to folks who prefer "realism, accuracy". It is ugly because

A/ artificial soundstage
B/ V-shaped, that make heavy bass instruments like large kick drums etc....sounds muddy, and in no way realistic, but more like boomy and bangy

2/ If DHSEE HX is on, the sound will mostly remain Flat, and a little boost on the trebles...more like a little spikes, and that make the trebles while still being lower-trebles weak, the spikes make almost the rest of trebles spectrum kind of feel artificial just because the whole tonal body is not exactly there. It is not really that noticeable though, mostly it would sound just a little sharper on the trebles end from normal observation

3/ if Surround sound "Studio" is on only "The best sound enhancement" in my opinion. It helps artificially expand the field of sound a little larger and wider, not by as much as clear audio, and it also does not V-shape the sound too much. Due to this, the sounds seperation got a little better while still remaining flat. Still artificial though. Somehow the trebles tonal body is with better resolution and energy. But lower-trebles still may not be satisfying enough unless you tick that DSEE HX as well.

*****the weak thing***** the lower-mid Get some what veiled....sheesh! It is still there but with less clarity

So the best sounding from the DAP is to combine both "Surround Studio" and DSEE HX. Did I mention it still remain some what artificial ? Luckily the tonal body of instruments remain realistic.

Now, back in stock non-enhanced form, the lower-trebles is weak, and it will be more likely unsatisfying.

This is me being picky like a prick, and speaking honestly from using my brightest and truest headphones MdR-SA5000 modded for the ultimate xperiences.

My ultimate conclusion on the ZX2 ? Sony gimped it overall sound quality down to allow people the ability to hear changes from their so called "cutting edge technology". Is ZX2 an excellent DAP though ? Absolutely ! But Sony need to allow people to utilize the best of the player quality without gimping it.

So my ultimate Resolution :

Go to setting, and disable the Sound-enhancement app. Make sure you use the app before disabling it like ticking DSEE HX and whatever else. Disable it for the best ultimate listening experience, and the truest form of quality from ZX2.

Enjoy guys. Took me 10 months to figure all of this out roflmao. Can't blame me though. I used it with the enhancement app disabled for months, and only recently got back to it a few months ago, did not imedietly notice any big differences until I sat down recently and started to analyze it as I could observe some unsatisfying feelings

Yes

1/ open enhancement app, and tick DSEE HX or whatever options, don't matter. Actually never tick Dynamic Normalizer.
5/ confirm

I believe I get the best juices and quality from ZX2. Now this is true audio quality, and non of the color, software enhancement craps....won't even be possible to EQ, but I doubt you need it if "true, accuracy, realistic, quality" music is what you are chasing for. Assuming why you buy this ZX2 in the first place :D

Please sticky, if someone can :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back