SONY NW-ZX2
Oct 17, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #8,311 of 14,773
So my ultimate Resolution :

Go to setting, and disable the Sound-enhancement app. Make sure you use the app before disabling it like ticking DSEE HX and whatever else. Disable it for the best ultimate listening experience, and the truest form of quality from ZX2.

Enjoy guys. Took me 10 months to figure all of this out roflmao. Can't blame me though. I used it with the enhancement app disabled for months, and only recently got back to it a few months ago, did not imedietly notice any big differences until I sat down recently and started to analyze it as I could observe some unsatisfying feelings

Yes

1/ open enhancement app, and tick DSEE HX or whatever options, don't matter.
2/ go to setting, then apps
3/ swipe left to the end for the tab "all"
4/ scroll down and look for "sound enhancement" app. Select it, disable
5/ confirm

***if you are listening while disabling the app*** turn your volume down....the sound will be 2-3x louder at the same volume level !! Don't blow your ears drums

I believe I get the best juices and quality from ZX2. Now this is true audio quality, and non of the color, software enhancement craps....won't even be possible to EQ, but I doubt you need it if "true, accuracy, realistic, quality" music is what you are chasing for. Assuming why you buy this ZX2 in the first place
biggrin.gif

1/ use TRRS connection whenever possible
2/ have to disable "sound enhancement" apps

Please sticky, if someone can
smily_headphones1.gif

this looks like 'post of the year' , and it happened on exactly 1 month after getting my ZX2 

i just copy/paste it in my 'zx2 tips' word document 

B-R-A-V-O 
beerchug.gif

Oct 17, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #8,313 of 14,773
other than the ''studio surround'' option , i did not like (or use) any other eq'ing so i can live without it

also, my volume levels  fell down from 50-60% to 25-30% 
eek.gif

plus i think the sound is now more balanced/airier/detailed

will return with more impressions , but first impressions are like 'so this is what a good dap sounds like'
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #8,314 of 14,773
other than the ''studio surround'' option , i did not like (or use) any other eq'ing so i can live without it

also, my volume levels  fell down from 50-60% to 25-30% :eek:

plus i think the sound is now more balanced/airier/detailed

will return with more impressions , but first impressions are like 'so this is what a good dap sounds like':D  

Isn't that right ? I think Sony is killing it own products by doing this with software enhancements. Sony should be just straight out telling people about this. Because I am sure people who demo it in a shop, and especially who already own high-end daps, they won't be happy with what they are hearing.

Especially, reviewer who won't have months to switch back and forth and etc...etc .... And or bother to read all head-fi forums posts to conclude something Sony meant to hide away lol.

Zx2 is not only a good dap, but when it works properly and full capability, it is one of the top dog.

Oct 17, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #8,316 of 14,773
The idea to disable the app actually comes from ZX1 owners, and TRANCE, a fellow head-fi. I only confirm the changes and the effects that it made.

Just did this and yes the sound is probably a bit cleaner but I get at the most 10% more volume, nowhere near 2-3X more volume. And I did do it right, the app is gone from the shortcut list and can't be started from anywhere and it is marked as dissbled under All apps

Oct 17, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #8,317 of 14,773
Just did this and yes the sound is probably a bit cleaner but I get at the most 10% more volume, nowhere near 2-3X more volume. And I did do it right, the app is gone from the shortcut list and can't be started from anywhere and it is marked as dissbled under All apps

It is a tricky part. Sometime the app disappeared, but the sound increasement is 0 and no, it won't be 10%. I am sure you didn't do it correctly, and or it bugged out and did not properly got disabled.

When properly disabled: app disappear, and the volume is at the least 2x as loud.

***make sure to tick the options within the enhancement app before disabling it***

May want to try and do it again, it is tricky for sure. I confirm that

Oct 17, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #8,318 of 14,773
it worked  like a bell for me , i am currently at 25-30% with a vinyl rip (which are recorded way lower than a regular cd) and i never fell below 50-55% with any album that i have listened this past month 

and the sound seems to be without this weird dip that was bugging me for so long

someone give this man an award

Oct 17, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #8,319 of 14,773
It is a tricky part. Sometime the app disappeared, but the sound increasement is 0 and no, it won't be 10%. I am sure you didn't do it correctly, and or it bugged out and did not properly got disabled.

When properly disabled: app disappear, and the volume is at the least 2x as loud.

***make sure to tick the options within the enhancement app before disabling it***

May want to try and do it again, it is tricky for sure. I confirm that

I've enabled dseex and Studio surround. Disabeled the app, reset the ZX2, app gone but absolutely no volume difference. Have tried all sorts of combinations and enabled and dissbled it over 20 times with absolutely no effect. Probably does not work on an EU unit. Never mind it has volume enough for the phones I use and I'm perfectly happy with the sound as it is but it would have been nice if this trick had worked

Oct 17, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #8,320 of 14,773
I am genuinely astonished! I tried lots of incantations to get my ZX1 louder, and was really sceptical that this would work.

It does!

The first time I tried it didn't make a difference, so I re-enabled the Adjustments app, and rebooted the player. I then selected a Surround mode and did a Force Stop, followed by Disable. The difference in volume and quality difference is huge.

(I do have a UK ZX2 which prompted me about exceeding volume limits when I first used in 3 days ago)

Many Thanks!

Oct 17, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #8,321 of 14,773
Agree ClearAUDIO+ sounds plain weirdo, artifical reverb and soundstage.. i leave it OFF

Studio VPT is the only "great" adjustment... DSEE HX soemtimes enhances sometimes not but fairly noticiable i leave thse as well off ulnless i have a old or bad recording

Oct 17, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #8,322 of 14,773
I've enabled dseex and Studio surround. Disabeled the app, reset the ZX2, app gone but absolutely no volume difference. Have tried all sorts of combinations and enabled and dissbled it over 20 times with absolutely no effect. Probably does not work on an EU unit. Never mind it has volume enough for the phones I use and I'm perfectly happy with the sound as it is but it would have been nice if this trick had worked

This, and Corious confirmed that Euro ZX2 also works. Your android OS is bugged out. I am not sure what can fix that, but this also happened to me when I tinkering around with it. It wouldn't change.

I restored it to factory setting, even took out the micro SD, and make sure you store all the thing you have inside the hard drive stored onto the micro SD.

Then try to do it again. It is very tricky, but once it works, you will see both effects: louder volume, and better sound quality

I am genuinely astonished! I tried lots of incantations to get my ZX1 louder, and was really sceptical that this would work.

It does!

The first time I tried it didn't make a difference, so I re-enabled the Adjustments app, and rebooted the player. I then selected a Surround mode and did a Force Stop, followed by Disable. The difference in volume and quality difference is huge.

(I do have a UK ZX2 which prompted me about exceeding volume limits when I first used in 3 days ago)

Many Thanks!

Glad it worked, and that it helped :wink:. Enjoy your ZX2.

Oct 17, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #8,323 of 14,773
This, and Corious confirmed that Euro ZX2 also works. Your android OS is bugged out. I am not sure what can fix that, but this also happened to me when I tinkering around with it. It wouldn't change.

I restored it to factory setting, even took out the micro SD, and make sure you store all the thing you have inside the hard drive stored onto the micro SD.

Then try to do it again. It is very tricky, but once it works, you will see both effects: louder volume, and better sound quality
Glad it worked, and that it helped
wink.gif
. Enjoy your ZX2.

my ZX2 was bought in germany , so it definitely works on the EU ZX2 version 

i also can vouch that the sound improves besides the obvious (much welcomed) bump in volume levels 

just put a sq enhancement , go to settings > apps > tap right to the 'all apps' 9after running) > sound enhancements > disable

first time it did not work , so if it does not , just shutdown/restart the zx2 , put an enhancement on and repeat the above procedure

on the second time i felt my volume go kaboom 
tongue.gif

edit : the second time that it worked i changed my surround preset (from studio to club) , just like corius - so you may wanna try putting a different surround preset

Oct 17, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #8,324 of 14,773
As stated I have tried over 20 times including several reboots and it makes absolutely no difference one way or the other.

And then I gave it one last try doing exactly the same as all the other times and BINGO it worked. Very strange

Oct 17, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #8,325 of 14,773

OK... After my excitement I tried a different set of headphones, and the results are different.

Originally I used se535's on a particular track and the vol was around 50%. The "fix" made it a lot louder at that setting.

I then tried Bowers and Wilkins P7s, which needed the vol control to be much higher for the same apparent volume, and I found that the "fix" had little or no effect.

I wonder if removing the Adjustments app just alters the linearity of the volume control and not the maximum volume? I can't put the se525s high enough to prove this.

That may explain why some people see change and other don't?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back