SONY NW-ZX2
Apr 4, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #4,144 of 14,755
Apr 4, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #4,145 of 14,755

Audio Note UK noted that Black Gates sound best if left on all the time and that when no voltage/current is placed on them, they require more time to be at optimum again. I noted changes at 800 hours, as did Audio Note UK. I still have BG's and find they are still the very best but the burn in/forming process can be off putting so I use them less now. I have even taken them out of circuits, only to put them back in and let them go through their needed forming period. BG's are best in analogue circuitry and not as good as other caps in digital circuitry. 

I moved from Black Gates to V-Caps CuTF's in the custom dac/preamp I use on my home speaker setup, they took about 200hrs to stabilize but could still hear them change until the 400hr mark. You should try the vcap, they are to my ears superior to the BG. I wish I could put some in the ZX2
wink.gif

Apr 4, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #4,146 of 14,755
  Would there be any Planar magnetic headphones that can be driven well with ZX2? i have in scope He-400i

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/3705#post_11451762
I really think I have answered within the best of one's abilities. at least as long as we don't have a few maximum output measurements for the ZX2(that might never come, unless somebody sends a ZX2 to ClieOS or to a website like headphoniaks).

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #4,147 of 14,755
If you have installed 3rd party player(s), do you realize that you can play 2 different tunes simultaneously (one via the player & the other via WALKMAN)? Proving that sony made exclusive access to hardware for its proprietary WALKMAN player

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Apr 5, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #4,148 of 14,755

but that's the thing, 120db into those specs that should be 1v and 50mW(unless I messed up somewhere while typing the numbers^_^). so I don't get where they got the 1-4W stuff. even for the old first version lcd2 that seemed excessive, here it makes no sense.
anyway it means that if the sony doesn't piss itself on current, a LCDX (if it really has those specs) could actually be driven even by the ZX2. \o/ kind of cool.

I found this chart for the LCD-2 at http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/221772-calculating-audeze-lcd-2s-power-requirement-vs-o2/

Latest LCD2 based on Audeze's spec sheet (93 dB/mw, 104 dB/Vrms):
105dB:
15.8mw
1.1v

110dB:
50.1mw
1.89v

115dB:
159.5mw
3.35v

120dB:
501.2mw
5.6v

What it shows is that with the "older" specifications, you do need an amplifier with a total output of 1W to hit 120dB. But it is a reminder that 105dB which is almost certainly sufficient only needs 16mw. I am somewhat frustrated that some manufacturers quote power per channel, while others quote total power output combined. In some instances it may just be poorly expressed. For example the Chord Hugo doesn't say whether its output power is per channel or combined.

Needless to say, the "proof is in the pudding", and the LCD-3 (so-called unveiled version with serial number starting 261) is definitely underpowered directly by the ZX2 (UK version, cap unknown). On max volume there is a listenable sound there, but it is totally lacking the dynamics you would hope for. I have an Oppo 105 Blu-ray -> Oppo HA-1 headphone amplifier and I compared it against the ZX2-PH3 combo with the LCD-3, and I was almost floored by how similar they sounded. The HA-1 is considerably more powerful, but the PH3 is already adequate in power to drive the LCD-3 comfortably. The HA-1, Oppo 105, and PH3 all use the same DAC, ES9018 so perhaps it is not that surprising.

Most amplifiers don't perform in a linear manner through their power range. The 1-4W thing is a throwback to the original LCD-2s back when TOTL headphones were usually high impedance and high sensitivity, not low-impedance and low sensitivity. It doesn't mean that the amp has to put 4W into the headphones, but ideally it should still be operating in Class A mode even when hitting very loud peaks in the music, even when the music is getting complex. It is pretty obvious when an amp doesn't have enough power for planar headphones as the music starts to clearly blur during complex passages. It is far less of an issue now as manufacturers are aware of this when they design amps, so most 1W capable amps are usually good enough. Most importantly you can't just look at these numbers and immediately tell how an amp is going to work with a pair of headphones except on the most basic level.

Apr 5, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #4,149 of 14,755
Just wonder if anyone here has removed Google play service completely. It seems to be eating battery life alot

Apr 5, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #4,150 of 14,755
Just wonder if anyone here has removed Google play service completely. It seems to be eating battery life alot

I have all Google stuff disabled due to no option to remove.
Getting at least 30 hours constant playtime,poss more,been running for 110 hours now non stop.

About to fly now but will try and compare Acs and K10 to A12 when poss.
A12 is so good i havent felt the need to try anything else so far:smiley::thumbsup:

Apr 5, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #4,151 of 14,755

Im perhaps one of the few that doesnt have a google account, nor plan to. Since no google apps are active I get top consistent battery life.

Apr 5, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #4,152 of 14,755
Well, the WMC-NWH-10 is a mere $43 and change on Amazon And it comes from Japan so I'd like to be more than fairly sure that it will work. I like my (very excellent) Centrance M8 and I have been using that in conjunction with an iPod touch (64 gb) so I'm not going to rush out and buy a PHA-3 or even a $43 cable just yet. The ZX2 can store 256 gb when adding the 128 gb sd card so its something of a convenience issue for me in terms of using multiple devices. I specifically purchased the ZX2 for use with IEM's but it does frustrate me that I can't just run the device through my M8 without jumping through Sony's proprietary BS. I'm not interested in some Rube Goldberg daisy chain of adapters so I'll just sit tight until someone can post a definitive answer one way or the other!

I am using the Sony WMC-NWH10 to connect the nw zx-2 to my chord Hugo and it works fine with the default player. It also works with the onkyo player but it down samples the music. So it doesn't output 24-192. The default player can output up to 24/192.

I bought my Sony WMC-NWH10 from Japan. Hope this helps.

Thank you! I'm not going to get one right away because I'd want to be sure it will work with my Centrance M8 (usb version). I know I shouldn't complain about the pricing after buying a $1200 device but I still find it really galling! Oh well.....

So, the more I dig into this, the more confused I get! Exactly how is the WMC-NWH10 different from the charging cable that comes with the ZX2 other than the way it is terminated at the USB end?

Apr 5, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #4,154 of 14,755
The biggest battery sucker other than Wi-Fi is screen brightness. I have Wi-Fi turned off and screen brightness set to about 15% to 20%, which is plenty bright for me. Just looping the entire collection including CD FLAC rips, hdtracks FLAC and a small number of DSF on random, I'm easily getting over 45 hours but I never run the battery all the way to 0%. 

One quick way to minimize battery consumption is to turn on "Airplane Mode." And if you click on the battery icon, it should show you the app battery usage since the last charge. If something like Google Play is taking up a large percentage, then I think you can safely manually disable it. Google Play should never be doing anything when Wi-Fi is off.

Apr 5, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #4,155 of 14,755
Can any Android users tell me if it's ok to disable Google Play whether you're connected to wifi or not? Google always warns the system may become unstable. I don't want that to happen but also don't want to use needed apps if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back