SONY NW-ZX2
May 1, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #14,612 of 14,758
Have to say that I still find enjoyment in listening to the ZX2. It's not my daily driver and the Deezer app doesn't appear to work anymore, but for my FLAC library, the sound quality is still exceptional.

It's funny. The unit itself is my first (and current) replacement for my last iPod (classic). I remember when the iPod crap the bed, I started doing research into the then current state of dedicated digital audio players. After a bunch of reading and reviews, I decided to pull the trigger and purchase the Japanese version without the volume limits found in others. As recommened by someone on this board, my first phones I decided to purchase for and pair up with were the Sennheiser Momentums 2.0 wired. I remember the anticipation of listen to it while I waited for my files to copy over. Once complete, I was fully engaged in listening. Simply fantastic. Not to long after that, I eventually moved onto a new pair of phones that were making some noise. That pair were the Oppo PM-3s, my first planar-magnetics. They also drove me to my first cable upgrade - Moon Audio Silver Dragon wired for the psuedo balanced nature of the ZX2s. The Oppos are internally wired for balanced which I always thought was cool. Regardless, I noticed a definite improvement in this case. This combo is still in use 'till this day.

I hope the ZX2 lasts for a good while longer. It's a good option to have around when you can do some wired listening without being anchored down to your main rig or elsewhere. My main portable driver these days is the Drop THX Panda connected to my OnePlus 7T Pro wirelessly via LDAC. Don't even have any files on my phone. Using Deezer HiFi.

Anyways, enjoy what you have and keep on keepin'....

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #14,613 of 14,758
Have to say that I still find enjoyment in listening to the ZX2. It's not my daily driver and the Deezer app doesn't appear to work anymore, but for my FLAC library, the sound quality is still exceptional.

It's funny. The unit itself is my first (and current) replacement for my last iPod (classic). I remember when the iPod crap the bed, I started doing research into the then current state of dedicated digital audio players. After a bunch of reading and reviews, I decided to pull the trigger and purchase the Japanese version without the volume limits found in other models. As recommened by someone on this board, my first phones I decided to purchase for and pair up with was the Sennheiser Momentums 2.0 wired. I remember the anticipation of listen to it while I waited for my files to copy over. Once complete, I was fully engaged in listening. Simply fantastic. Not to long after that, I eventually moved onto a new pair of phones that was making some noise. That pair were the Oppo PM-3s, my first planar-magnetics. They also drove me to my first cable upgrade - Moon Audio Silver Dragon wired for the psuedo balanced nature of the ZX2s. The Oppos are internally wired for balanced which I always thought was cool. Regardless, I noticed a definite improvement in this case. This combo is still in use 'till this day.

I hope the ZX2 lasts for a good while longer. It's a good option to have around when you can do some wired listening without being anchored down to your main rig or elsewhere. My main portable driver these days is the Drop THX Panda connected to my OnePlus 7T Pro wirelessly via LDAC. Don't even have the the files on my phone. Use Deezer HiFi.

Anyways, enjoy what you have and keep on keepin'...

May 2, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #14,615 of 14,758

It's funny. The unit itself is my first (and current) replacement for my last iPod (classic). I remember when the iPod crap the bed, I started doing research into the then current state of dedicated digital audio players. After a bunch of reading and reviews, I decided to pull the trigger and purchase the Japanese version without the volume limits found in others. As recommened by someone on this board, my first phones I decided to purchase for and pair up with were the Sennheiser Momentums 2.0 wired. I remember the anticipation of listen to it while I waited for my files to copy over. Once complete, I was fully engaged in listening. Simply fantastic. Not to long after that, I eventually moved onto a new pair of phones that were making some noise. That pair were the Oppo PM-3s, my first planar-magnetics. They also drove me to my first cable upgrade - Moon Audio Silver Dragon wired for the psuedo balanced nature of the ZX2s. The Oppos are internally wired for balanced which I always thought was cool. Regardless, I noticed a definite improvement in this case. This combo is still in use 'till this day.

I hope the ZX2 lasts for a good while longer. It's a good option to have around when you can do some wired listening without being anchored down to your main rig or elsewhere. My main portable driver these days is the Drop THX Panda connected to my OnePlus 7T Pro wirelessly via LDAC. Don't even have any files on my phone. Using Deezer HiFi.

Couldn’t agree more. I don’t use my zx2 every day, but it is certainly a good choice to listen to my “old” stuff on flac. In addition, there is a strange satisfaction of not needed to be connected to anything but the zx2🎧🤓

May 5, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #14,616 of 14,758
After trying the bluetooth headphones between the smartphone and the walkman for a week, I note that I have much more volume range in the walkman. I wanted to ask those who have it if there is a compatible version of tidal and if it is functional.
I can't really say, as Tidal was not available in my region until very recently, so I had to choose between Spotify and Deezer. Spotify still works on the ZX2. I read that a hi res version of it is coming out before the end of the year. Not sure if it will work with the old Android version in the ZX2, but it might be worthing checking it out. If it needs installing a new app, it most certainly won't work, but who knows. It might only take a few patches via firmware. Not really sure.

May 5, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #14,617 of 14,758

Good to know that you Te still enjoying ZX2. I'm fact, so am I. This little oldie still gets a lot of love around here. I travel very often and I use it on the go, to avoid taking the wm1a out. Where I live, getting protective cases for the 1a is very expensive and cumbersome, so I opted for keeping the ZX2 as the traveling option. I use it mostly wired, with IEM, and every now and then as a Bluetooth source for a Bose Soundlink speaker (casual listening). The Bluetooth isn't as stable as I'd like, but it works just fine.
How does the ZX2 drive the OPPO? I don't listen at high volume levels, but I've read that planar magnetics are particularly hard to drive. Just curious.

May 5, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #14,618 of 14,758
How does the ZX2 drive the OPPO? I don't listen at high volume levels, but I've read that planar magnetics are particularly hard to drive. Just curious.
Fine for my needs. Plenty of volume with a nominal impedance of 25 Ohms along with my zx2 being the 'uncapped' volume model from Japan. Of course levels vary between albums - usually have to turn it up for FLAC files ripped from older CD pressings. Overall, the two have been a solid pairing. The phones themselves are a classic IMO. I'm enamored with them enough to have another brand new pair tucked away. Still disappointed that Oppo Digital closed shop. That made some really special products...

May 5, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #14,619 of 14,758
Fine for my needs. Plenty of volume with a nominal impedance of 25 Ohms along with my zx2 being the 'uncapped' volume model from Japan. Of course levels vary between albums - usually have to turn it up for FLAC files ripped from older CD pressings. Overall, the two have been a solid pairing. The phones themselves are a classic IMO. I'm enamored with them enough to have another brand new pair tucked away. Still disappointed that Oppo Digital closed shop. That made some really special products...
Thanks for sharing your experience. Now you've made me think about trying the OPPO, something I wouldn't have considered before, as I was almost certain that such phones weren't suitable for Sony's DAP and their relatively modest output levels even in wm1 guise. My needs are generally well-covered with high power, so I'm curious now.

May 5, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #14,620 of 14,758
Thanks for sharing your experience. Now you've made me think about trying the OPPO, something I wouldn't have considered before, as I was almost certain that such phones weren't suitable for Sony's DAP and their relatively modest output levels even in wm1 guise. My needs are generally well-covered with high power, so I'm curious now.

More than welcome!

Let me know if you do go that route. Curious to read your thoughts on it. Might be tricky finding a pair as they're discontinued. You may be able to find a pair used. New would cost more obviously. They were creeping well over the their original $400 price tag when I purchased the second pair for backup. The pads and headband tend to wear pretty bad if not taken care of over time, so make sure you verify their condition if you purchase used. That said, Oppo still services them for pad/headband replacement (I think they contract someone) for a $100. I've gone through that with my first pair.

But read more about them before you make a decision. The only knock I have against them is that I wish the cups were a little deeper. Soundstage is decent but not like an open back phone. The bass is accurate, including sub-bass. If you prefer a more boomy flavor of bass, then I would look elsewhere. Detail retrieval is pretty awesome for it's class.

May 5, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #14,621 of 14,758
FWIW, Drop acquired rights to use the Oppo driver tech, supposedly using it in their Panda headphones, though AFAIK w/ a different tuning than the PM3 (also while they accept analog input, they also have wireless function and opinions on hi-tech elements seem mixed at best).

May 5, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #14,622 of 14,758
FWIW, Drop acquired rights to use the Oppo driver tech, supposedly using it in their Panda headphones, though AFAIK w/ a different tuning than the PM3 (also while they accept analog input, they also have wireless function and opinions on hi-tech elements seem mixed at best).

I have the Pandas. They're a decent solution for on-the-go wireless listening. They play nice with my OnePlus phone via LDAC (Deezer HiFi). That said, the bass is a little more boosted IMO. I prefer the more articulate bass of the PM3s. The cups are a little deeper which I do appreciate. I do think this gives it a little wider staging. I haven't played with the newly introduced app/EQ yet. The PM3s also scale well with a dedicated amp. I haven't tested this with the Pandas. They were tuned to sound the same both wired and wireless. Again, haven't tried that myself yet. Also of note is that the PM3s are internally wired for balanced audio. Not sure of that's important to anyone else. I use a balanced cable from Moon Audio (Silver Dragon) from my zx2 to the Oppos. Although the zx2 is not truly balanced out, each channel does have a dedicated ground. FWIW, I do hear improved sound.

Overall, I still prefer the PM3s.

Now I want to go listen to both again...

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #14,623 of 14,758
More than welcome!

Let me know if you do go that route. Curious to read your thoughts on it. Might be tricky finding a pair as they're discontinued. You may be able to find a pair used. New would cost more obviously. They were creeping well over the their original $400 price tag when I purchased the second pair for backup. The pads and headband tend to wear pretty bad if not taken care of over time, so make sure you verify their condition if you purchase used. That said, Oppo still services them for pad/headband replacement (I think they contract someone) for a $100. I've gone through that with my first pair.

But read more about them before you make a decision. The only knock I have against them is that I wish the cups were a little deeper. Soundstage is decent but not like an open back phone. The bass is accurate, including sub-bass. If you prefer a more boomy flavor of bass, then I would look elsewhere. Detail retrieval is pretty awesome for it's class.
Thanks again for sharing further insights. I'd also consider an open back. I once spent a few weeks with a pair of Grado (I don't remember the exact model) with ZX2 and they were a good match. I'm going to do some extra research, but now I've been bitten by the curiosity for new cans (I only own z7m2, and I love them, but they are a bit heavy on the neck).

May 6, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #14,624 of 14,758
Thanks again for sharing further insights. I'd also consider an open back. I once spent a few weeks with a pair of Grado (I don't remember the exact model) with ZX2 and they were a good match. I'm going to do some extra research, but now I've been bitten by the curiosity for new cans (I only own z7m2, and I love them, but they are a bit heavy on the neck).

I have a pair of Grado sr60es. I'll occasionally listen to them with the zx2. They sound good together for sure. Actually think that's a great idea. You get to scratch your itch for something new while dipping your toes into open-back phones. It would also save you some money as the Oppos would cost more and it looks like they may have stopped their pad replacement program. If you go the Grado route, I would shoot for the sr80es. They're a step up from my pair while remaining reasonably priced at $100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back