SONY NW-ZX2
May 13, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #14,627 of 14,755
I can't really say, as Tidal was not available in my region until very recently, so I had to choose between Spotify and Deezer. Spotify still works on the ZX2. I read that a hi res version of it is coming out before the end of the year. Not sure if it will work with the old Android version in the ZX2, but it might be worthing checking it out. If it needs installing a new app, it most certainly won't work, but who knows. It might only take a few patches via firmware. Not really sure.
This is really good news. Read abut it already a few years ago. However, nothing has happened so far.

Spotify HighRes may be a gamechanger. I'm so pissed about Tidal's compatibility policy. First I could not use their app on my zx2 anymore, a few weeks ago they sent me a mail saying that I cannot access Tidal on my old ipad anymore without upgrading to iOS 11, which my old ipad cannot run upon. Again a device that has become useless (old B&W Zeppelin).
Beyond this spotify connect is really great and playlist management is outstanding. The day, when spoitify highres will start, I will kick Tidal off. And I'm sure, many will follow, especially those who changed from Spotify to Tidal only because of better sound quality.

I don't think that there will be a problem getting spotify onto the ZX2.
Time will tell.

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #14,628 of 14,755
This is really good news. Read abut it already a few years ago. However, nothing has happened so far.

Spotify HighRes may be a gamechanger. I'm so pissed about Tidal's compatibility policy. First I could not use their app on my zx2 anymore, a few weeks ago they sent me a mail saying that I cannot access Tidal on my old ipad anymore without upgrading to iOS 11, which my old ipad cannot run upon. Again a device that has become useless (old B&W Zeppelin).
Beyond this spotify connect is really great and playlist management is outstanding. The day, when spoitify highres will start, I will kick Tidal off. And I'm sure, many will follow, especially those who changed from Spotify to Tidal only because of better sound quality.

I don't think that there will be a problem getting spotify onto the ZX2.
Time will tell.
We'll see. Anyway, ZX2 has given me a good life span of musical enjoyment. It still plays Spotify fairly well and, best of all, it plays local files with so much class...
BTW, is anyone experiencing hiccups when playing ZX2 over Bluetooth? It's happened to me using both the Walkman music app and Spotify...

May 17, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #14,629 of 14,755
Hi there, has anyone tried recently to have his battery in the zx2 replaced by Sony elsewhere The original battery is discontinued, at least I cannot find it anymore on the web.
No I still have the original battery and so far it behaves well...

Jul 16, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #14,631 of 14,755
FWIW: recently acquired the Sony WF-1000XM4s. They support ldac. As an iphone user, I haven’t had any experience with ldac. But guess what: this is really a nice pairing with the xm4 and the zx2😎👍. (Seems to drain battery from the latter at a high speed)

Jul 16, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #14,633 of 14,755
I've changed my battery, I was at Sony Japan, checking up my ZX 2, yes the battery does last long, but they are also expensive to change, Sony Japan will not allow you to buy the battery, but others parts of the ZX 2 is allowed. I think I still have the battery, Sony Japan always return the replaced parts back to you.

Jul 16, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #14,634 of 14,755
I've changed my battery, I was at Sony Japan, checking up my ZX 2, yes the battery does last long, but they are also expensive to change, Sony Japan will not allow you to buy the battery, but others parts of the ZX 2 is allowed. I think I still have the battery, Sony Japan always return the replaced parts back to you.
No need to change mine yet, after a few years of fairly intensive use. As a matter of fact, I haven't even noticed any decline in battery's performance yet.

Jul 16, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #14,635 of 14,755
No need to change mine yet, after a few years of fairly intensive use. As a matter of fact, I haven't even noticed any decline in battery's performance yet.
There is definitely a decline, you just haven't checked, but I was in japan at the time and ordered some Sony parts, so I might as well change the battery.

Sep 9, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #14,637 of 14,755
Just picked up a NW-ZX2. The UI is frustrating and it took some effort to even connect to the Play Store.

The single best find has been Spotify Lite. The full Spotify app is barely usable, but Spotify Lite is responsive and allows streaming in Spotify's version of "High Quality".
The Android versions it runs on (and the SOC) makes it a laggy experience these days indeed. Still, the sound is very good is you use local files. Thanks for pointing out Spotify lite. I'm going to give it a shot.

Sep 9, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #14,638 of 14,755
Just picked up a NW-ZX2. The UI is frustrating and it took some effort to even connect to the Play Store.

The single best find has been Spotify Lite. The full Spotify app is barely usable, but Spotify Lite is responsive and allows streaming in Spotify's version of "High Quality".

Congrats!

Really good little unit. I suggest loading it up with some quality files.

Not sure what the limit is on SD card support size-wise is. Mine currently rocks a 200 GB card.

Sep 10, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #14,640 of 14,755
Congrats!

Really good little unit. I suggest loading it up with some quality files.

Not sure what the limit is on SD card support size-wise is. Mine currently rocks a 200 GB card.

It won't recognize my 1tb Samsung MicroSD. So cross out 1tb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back