SONY NW-ZX2
Mar 19, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #14,596 of 14,755
when I use the bluetooth headphones, the functions like clear audio, equalizer and the others dont work, only Work with wired connection
As far as I know, ZX2 doesn't include a function to send EQ'ed audio through BT codecs, but I'm no expert. I'm sure there are other people in the forum who can answer with certainty. Good luck!

Mar 19, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #14,597 of 14,755
As far as I know, ZX2 doesn't include a function to send EQ'ed audio through BT codecs, but I'm no expert. I'm sure there are other people in the forum who can answer with certainty. Good luck!
I think Zx2 does have a system wide EQ and it also allow EQ when a BT headphones or speakers is connected to the ZX2

If the question is about using some other BT interfaces to allow this EQ to be remotely controlled then I do not know

Mar 19, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #14,598 of 14,755
I recently bought the wh-1000xm4 headphones and the truth is that I end up using them with the cell phone more than with the walkman because it does not allow me to use the eq for bluetooh and applications like tidal were obsolete by the android, and it has no sound difference. I always used the walkman with clear audio + because it made a difference in the sound, but now I have it stored in a drawer

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #14,599 of 14,755
At this point if you are using Bluetooth, it makes absolutely no sense to use the ZX2. Any modern smartphone will more than compete as a wireless source. The ZX2 was an exceptional device in it's day, but it is now absolutely trailing edge technology, very much so. Celebrate it for what it was, but be willing to accept what it is not. It will always deserve it's place on the audio path of personal audio devices development, it really does, but come on people, you have to know when to say when.

Mar 20, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #14,600 of 14,755
At this point if you are using Bluetooth, it makes absolutely no sense to use the ZX2. Any modern smartphone will more than compete as a wireless source. The ZX2 was an exceptional device in it's day, but it is now absolutely trailing edge technology, very much so. Celebrate it for what it was, but be willing to accept what it is not. It will always deserve it's place on the audio path of personal audio devices development, it really does, but come on people, you have to know when to say when.
Of course it's not cutting edge technology. You're right in that regard. However, I still use it as a source for local files when traveling and it's SQ remains, in my opinion, above that of the smartphones I have access to. That is, using non-wireless headphones.

Mar 20, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #14,601 of 14,755
It’s been a long time since I had the ZX2, however how I understand it, sound enhancements for Bluetooth would be for incoming (received) signals rather than outbound.

Mar 20, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #14,602 of 14,755
I recently bought the wh-1000xm4 headphones and the truth is that I end up using them with the cell phone more than with the walkman because it does not allow me to use the eq for bluetooh and applications like tidal were obsolete by the android, and it has no sound difference. I always used the walkman with clear audio + because it made a difference in the sound, but now I have it stored in a drawer
This might well be one of the disadvantages of Android-based DAPs. The OS tends to be fairly outdated from day one and the, probably due to soc limitations, it's infrequent that they get updated. Thus, streaming apps and the like begin malfunctioning or can't work at all. Plus, even if you try to keep all Google bloatware deactivated, somehow the device gets laggy with time. This has been my experience with zx2 and, before that, with z1060. I own wm1a now and I use that at home, but it still enjoy zx2 very much and use it on the go. However, its limitations grown more apparent with time.

Mar 20, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #14,603 of 14,755
Of course it's not cutting edge technology. You're right in that regard. However, I still use it as a source for local files when traveling and it's SQ remains, in my opinion, above that of the smartphones I have access to. That is, using non-wireless headphones.
No question it will be fine for local files, fantastic even, as long as your headphones don't require much power. And many people forget that headphones are not linear resistance loads, they vary across the frequency spectrum so the ZX2 with it's extremely low power output (the only reason I never purchased a ZX2 actually) requires careful matching. I could see how the SQ versus a smartphone headphone output could be more pleasant with the ZX2, but I was only referring to use as a Bluetooth source. Even the most average of smartphone that has been made since say 2018 as a source would be much better than the ZX2 so for use with Bluetooth headphones, which is what I was posting about, the ZX2 makes absolutely no sense at all.

Mar 20, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #14,604 of 14,755
This might well be one of the disadvantages of Android-based DAPs. The OS tends to be fairly outdated from day one and the, probably due to soc limitations, it's infrequent that they get updated. Thus, streaming apps and the like begin malfunctioning or can't work at all. Plus, even if you try to keep all Google bloatware deactivated, somehow the device gets laggy with time. This has been my experience with zx2 and, before that, with z1060. I own wm1a now and I use that at home, but it still enjoy zx2 very much and use it on the go. However, its limitations grown more apparent with time.
QFT! I still have my Z1060, and it barely boots how slow it is, and I never really did anything with it, yet my much older HD5 players are still as fast as they ever were (like the WM1A)

Mar 21, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #14,605 of 14,755
QFT! I still have my Z1060, and it barely boots how slow it is, and I never really did anything with it, yet my much older HD5 players are still as fast as they ever were (like the WM1A)
Yeah, same thing happened to my z1060... The zx2, however, still boots in a reasonable time. I use it in my car and in planes and it's still a very enjoyable DAP. Come to think of it, most Sony DAPS I've owned have provided me with a fairly long period of enjoyment. They've had rather long lifespans. I reckon the wm1a will outlast all the Android ones.

Mar 21, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #14,606 of 14,755
No question it will be fine for local files, fantastic even, as long as your headphones don't require much power. And many people forget that headphones are not linear resistance loads, they vary across the frequency spectrum so the ZX2 with it's extremely low power output (the only reason I never purchased a ZX2 actually) requires careful matching. I could see how the SQ versus a smartphone headphone output could be more pleasant with the ZX2, but I was only referring to use as a Bluetooth source. Even the most average of smartphone that has been made since say 2018 as a source would be much better than the ZX2 so for use with Bluetooth headphones, which is what I was posting about, the ZX2 makes absolutely no sense at all.
I agree. I use my zx2 mostly with xba-n3 and, occasionally, with se846. Both are great matches and neither is power hungry.

Mar 21, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #14,607 of 14,755
Of course using wired conection any smartphone does not have the minimum comparison against the walkman(sound quality and distortion). For files in flac quality(dsf) i use the walkman with mdr z7 headphones. But in case of Bluetooth conection its the same sound quality(both with ldac). Its a Shame that the walkman cannot use the eq functions because other sony walkman can be used and sony dosnt care about one of the premium device in sound quality(with one update can solve the issue) but for them is a old product

Mar 21, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #14,608 of 14,755
Of course using wired conection any smartphone does not have the minimum comparison against the walkman(sound quality and distortion). For files in flac quality(dsf) i use the walkman with mdr z7 headphones. But in case of Bluetooth conection its the same sound quality(both with ldac). Its a Shame that the walkman cannot use the eq functions because other sony walkman can be used and sony dosnt care about one of the premium device in sound quality(with one update can solve the issue) but for them is a old product
Yeah, Sony never gave the zx2 much attention in terms of updates, if I recall correctly. There were a few firmware updates, but nothing substantial.
I remember having trouble making zx2 store Spotify files in the rom storage, I could never solve it. But this might not be a firmware problem, as I remember some people did manage to make it work properly.

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #14,609 of 14,755
After trying the bluetooth headphones between the smartphone and the walkman for a week, I note that I have much more volume range in the walkman. I wanted to ask those who have it if there is a compatible version of tidal and if it is functional.

Apr 2, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #14,610 of 14,755
After trying the bluetooth headphones between the smartphone and the walkman for a week, I note that I have much more volume range in the walkman. I wanted to ask those who have it if there is a compatible version of tidal and if it is functional.
In my experience TIDAL doesn’t work anymore with zx2 :triportsad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back