SONY NW-ZX2
Dec 3, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #14,581 of 14,755
Edit: it's not that stable :frowning2: you can't stream and download at the same time without risking corruption. Can't plug in to a laptop and mount as usb storage device either while downloaded. Instant corruption, resulting in not being able to download anymore tracks.

So the latest Qobuz Android app installed fine from Google Play Store. And I was able to login, stream, and download music for offline playback. This was surprising, as I thought I had tried some time back and it didn't work. Some caveats:

0) cd quality only
1) make sure you have plenty of space. I went into storage and wiped the 128gb storage clean. I had trouble with stability until I wiped
2) you might need to turn on location services in order to login.
3) the login display is clipped; you have to type a couple of letters of your email and password "blind"; try logging in on the web first to make sure your credentials are as you remember them
4) streaming anything other that CD quality* doesn't work. Furthermore, it corrupts the app forcing you to uninstall and reinstall it
5) downloading anything other than CD quality* will also corrupt the app. I tried to recover by going into Qobuz storage settings and deleting every storage pool to no avail. I didn't try that hard though, as reinstalling, painful as it is, was quicker
6) so immediately go into settings and set streaming AND import/download on WiFi to CD quality

*24 bit/44.2khz does seem to work. It seems the higher bit rate is the problem, not the bit width.

My playlists/favorites has a mix of CD quality and high res tracks/albums, so being able to load the lower quality versions was kind of critical.

For some reason, my 2.4ghz WiFi was glitch-free compared to 5ghz, so try that too.

The interface is slow as usual, but no slower than Tidal. Fairly stable too. (Don't try to go the the downloaded tracks while things are downloading -- that seems to cause a hang.) To my shame, I stream exclusively, so not having Tidal was going to be a deal breaker. I mean, I'm not leaving house or anything, but the ZX2 also functions as the front end for my Andromedas, and I've really been missing that sound.

FWIW, Qobuz is cheaper than Tidal too.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #14,582 of 14,755
Hi. Apologies for my post here. The WM1Z/WM1A thread has been closed so I figured I could seek help here. I also have a ZX2, by the way, and it's still working mighty fine.

My concern however, involves my WM1A. I have noticed that the balanced output is weaker on one side, in my case, the right side. I've tried several headphones and the problem still persists. It is noticeable especially when I immediately transfer the headphones to the single ended output (with adapter of course) and level matched. There is an imbalance. Anyone with the WM1A who has also noticed this? Thanks.

Again apologies for my post here.

Dec 6, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #14,583 of 14,755
Hi. Apologies for my post here. The WM1Z/WM1A thread has been closed so I figured I could seek help here. I also have a ZX2, by the way, and it's still working mighty fine.

My concern however, involves my WM1A. I have noticed that the balanced output is weaker on one side, in my case, the right side. I've tried several headphones and the problem still persists. It is noticeable especially when I immediately transfer the headphones to the single ended output (with adapter of course) and level matched. There is an imbalance. Anyone with the WM1A who has also noticed this? Thanks.

Again apologies for my post here.
Sorry to hear. I personally never had the same problem and don't have any suggestion other than to remind you to double check your "L/R Balance" in the "Output Settings" just in case it can solve your problem (I'm aware that it happens only on balanced 4.4mm output...but who knows :smile_phones:). Also, you probably haven't noticed that there is a newer Sony Walkman 1Z/A thread. You might want to post your question there. Someone may be able to help.

Dec 7, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #14,584 of 14,755
I appreciate the response. Yes, I have checked the L/R balance. I haven't, however, noticed the new Sony Walkman Thread. Thank you for pointing that out.

Jan 5, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #14,585 of 14,755
Hello & Happy New Year to all ZX2 owners!

I am a new ZX2 owner and am looking to expand the memory.

I read the old post and there is no mentioning of support for a 512GB memory card

I do see member stating they were able to use a memory card exceeding the 128GB limit stated by Sony.

Any input is much appreciate.

Jan 5, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #14,586 of 14,755
Hello & Happy New Year to all ZX2 owners!

I am a new ZX2 owner and am looking to expand the memory.

I read the old post and there is no mentioning of support for a 512GB memory card

I do see member stating they were able to use a memory card exceeding the 128GB limit stated by Sony.

Any input is much appreciate.
Wellcome and happy new year. I use a 400 GB card. I don’t know if it is due to the size or what, but the “music analyzer” doesn’t work anymore. After some time it halts. But otherwise no problems....

Jan 14, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #14,587 of 14,755
Hi all when logging in to my new Tidal account on the ZX2 it's mentioning a unidentified network error- I have cleared cache/data with no luck. Anyone familiar with a workaround?

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #14,588 of 14,755
Hi all when logging in to my new Tidal account on the ZX2 it's mentioning a unidentified network error- I have cleared cache/data with no luck. Anyone familiar with a workaround?
As far as I know the OS (think it is Android 4.0) doesn’t support Tidal anymore...I had a long correspondence with them, eventually they “confessed“. In this thread, somebody suggested a workaround involving another app, I think. I never got it to work though. So today I am enjoying all the stuff I have in the storage. Do think, that Spotify still may work, but I don’t use that.

Jan 15, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #14,589 of 14,755
Does anybody know if it is possible to install the sony walkman visualizer (the one that is showing a cassette player spinning) on the ZX2?

I tried to download some apks on the web and was able to install, but is not showing up as an option afterward.

Feb 4, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #14,590 of 14,755
Hi all, haven't used Tidal in over a year and now it won't let me login due to network error?

'logon failed due to unidentified network error'

Feb 4, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #14,591 of 14,755
Hi all, haven't used Tidal in over a year and now it won't let me login due to network error?

'logon failed due to unidentified network error'
I was in the same situation a few months ago. TIDAL is most likely officially dead on old Android based devices like our ZX2s. I've already uninstalled TIDAL app on my DAP to retrieve the space of internal memory of my ZX2.

Feb 5, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #14,592 of 14,755
I was in the same situation a few months ago. TIDAL is most likely officially dead on old Android based devices like our ZX2s. I've already uninstalled TIDAL app on my DAP to retrieve the space of internal memory of my ZX2.
I did too - pretty sad, but now I enjoy my old stuff which is independent of wifi :)

Mar 19, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #14,594 of 14,755
hi, someone was able to activate bluetooth equalization functions on the walkman nw-zx2. I searched everywhere, I even called Sony and they couldn't give me an answer
Hi, I'm not sure that I understood the issue correctly, but I might he interested in it as well. Do you mean to equalize bt phones from the zx2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back