SONY NW-ZX2
May 14, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #11,641 of 14,773
Me too. Lovely build, and works well, but...
I think my iBasso DX90 sounds as good, plus it goes louder.
And as for my Hugo (although not strictly a DAP), it's in a different league altogether.
Disappointed...

May 14, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #11,642 of 14,773
And as for my Hugo (although not strictly a DAP), it's in a different league altogether.
Disappointed...

Ibasso DX90 is not close to ZX2.Lacks the soundstage,the detail,the bass extension and punch,the thickness of notes and musicality.
3 things you need to do to get the full potential of   ZX2.Burn in above 100 hours for capacitors to settle in.Disable sound adjustment in the app menu and buy TRRS plug for your iem. DX90 will sound really underwhelming after that and there are many ex dx90 owners here who are perfectly happy with ZX2 as an upgrade.Hugo probably is in a different league vs all daps looking at the comparisons in different threads.

May 15, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #11,644 of 14,773
Ibasso DX90 is not close to ZX2.Lacks the soundstage,the detail,the bass extension and punch,the thickness of notes and musicality.
3 things you need to do to get the full potential of   ZX2.Burn in above 100 hours for capacitors to settle in.Disable sound adjustment in the app menu and buy TRRS plug for your iem. DX90 will sound really underwhelming after that and there are many ex dx90 owners here who are perfectly happy with ZX2 as an upgrade.Hugo probably is in a different league vs all daps looking at the comparisons in different threads.

Thanks for this. I'll give it a chance to 'burn in' before further judgment.
I suppose I just expected more from it? I managed to get it as an Amazon Warehouse deal for just over £400. It's been used, but is in 'as new' condition. I thought there may have been some burn-in from the previous owner? At the moment, and this may change with time, I'm glad I only paid what I did for it. If I paid the new price, it would be going straight back.
Also, why oh why give us an old version of Android? It works well with my MDR-1ABT's via LDAC - but so does my NWZ-A15 and sort-of defeats the point of this heavy brick.
Maybe I was expecting too much from it? It just didn't blow my socks in the way I expected it would. For example, when I first got my Hugo, I just couldn't stop listening to it, it sounded so phenomenal. This hasn't 'grabbed' me so-far.

May 15, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #11,645 of 14,773
I suppose I just expected more from it? I managed to get it as an Amazon Warehouse deal for just over £400. It's been used, but is in 'as new' condition. I thought there may have been some burn-in from the previous owner? At the moment, and this may change with time, I'm glad I only paid what I did for it. If I paid the new price, it would be going straight back.
Also, why oh why give us an old version of Android? It works well with my MDR-1ABT's via LDAC - but so does my NWZ-A15 and sort-of defeats the point of this heavy brick.
Maybe I was expecting too much from it? It just didn't blow my socks in the way I expected it would. For example, when I first got my Hugo, I just couldn't stop listening to it, it sounded so phenomenal. This hasn't 'grabbed' me so-far.

DX90 is very good and near unbeatable on price/performance but the ZX2 to me is clearly better. Using ZX2 wireless is in my opinon a total waste as you dont use the dac nor amp of the ZX2 so what you are hearing is whatever dac and amp is in the headphone

May 15, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #11,646 of 14,773

I think you answered your own question , if someone bought this at full rrp, they would not give it 100 hours of burn in before returning it, Mine is also like new. For me, this unit in its condition for just over £400 is great value . I see you have the Hugo, i also have a Hugo, once you purchase a hugo any DAP does not cut it. I've got a mojo coming next week, this will result in me selling my AK models, I used to love AK, until they started releasing models faster than I can remember and prices going silly.

I'm going to go with the zx2 as my transport , and pair it with the mojo, that will fix the biggest issue with the zx2, having grunt to run various headphones, and I expect it to sound better than any DAP out there, with a bonus that the package will cost me £800 for the zx2 and mojo, and I expect it to be better than my AK240.

As for an old version of android, Sony takes thier time to update these things, heck I'd love the latest, but just comparing it to the OS in my AK240, it's great to have a full version of android where you can install any apps. Let's not forget the other issue the ZX2 suffers, CPU (due to its great battery life) doing android tasks it's slow, I installed candy crush for fun yesterday and it's not exactly smooth :) I'm just happy to have a full version of android so I can install other music players and some useful apps, for me this is a huge upgrade from my AK240.

I've not looked at AK380 since I've gone off AK as a brand, though I'd figure that my ZX2/mojo is going to upstage or hold its own for it for £800, and give me a full version of android. For me that's a bargain.

For me first impressions count, and picking up the zx2, it put a smile on my face, it's solid, and very well made. Should pair nicely with the mojo. Today time to find my shure 846 and give them a go. I suspect my ak240 will be on the sales section soon....

May 15, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #11,647 of 14,773
Disappointed...

I now what you mean - and I can understand how some people may just send it back as an expensive paprweight! However, I think this has potential. The build quality and general feel of the product is beyond reproach. And I love the "heft". The supplied case is a joke - it looks like something you'd put a pistol in!!! The sound? Not convinced yet myself - but I'm willing to be patient and fully intend to use this as a daily driver and give it an extended playing-in period over the next two weeks or so (shall leave it playing some nasty low bit rate mp3 overnight to shorten how long it takes to settle to whatever its going to settle to). The sound from my ER4S's is detailed, but definitely not as detailed as the Cowon P1 ATM. I have to use considerably more eq to bring the bass up to accceptable levels with the Sony in comparison to the P1. Using ie800's, the sound is very warm - rich even, perhaps lacking a bit of detail, but so far this pairing is the most pleasing. This is the complete reverse of my experience with the Cowon, where I preferred the ER4S's with their pin sharp detail and slightly enhanced base though eq. I don't know how practical it is to drive >100 ohm cans with this thing natively, but I did notice the volume needed to be quite high for the ER4S's to perform.

Yes, the old Android OS is a pain - and it doesn't look like Sony are going to update the OS (I notice that Advanced MP3 players are listing the product as disccountinued). This is in no way a deal breaker for me as I don't use mobile streaming services which seem to be forcing people into the Android upgrade cycle (AKA Apple). I have only installed one internet radio app and a battery widget - that'll probably be it for me! For the money I paid (like you, just over 400 notes), its a bargain but only time will tell if the SOny will allow me to move on from the Cowon.

There are some general quirks - DB update is positively glacial in comparison to the Cowon, and the Sony handles lrc files slightly differently. Also, really large album art (5000x5000) doesn't display - but these are by no means things that will force me to discard the Sony after all, the Cowon has its faults as well.

There is however one elephant in the room that makes me feel slightly uneasy. Battery replacement. The Sony would have to be taken apart by well, probably Sony for that to happen. Granted, Sony use quality cells in their products (my 18 month old Xperia phablet still holds an excellent charge despite daily battery abuse), but one day, the battery in the NWZX2 will need replacing and I suspect by then, Sony will no longer carry them as replacement parts.

So far, the NWZX2 is encouraging -  but it hasn't earned its place as my music player of choice quite yet.

May 15, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #11,650 of 14,773
A few quick questions then.  What is the standard battery life like (anything under 9 hours and forget it), does it do gapless well and can you browse by folder?  Also anyone using sennheiser hd25-II's with the unit and does it have enough grunt for it?

Thanks

(doubt I'll get it at that price but still a bargain).

May 15, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #11,651 of 14,773

So far, the NWZX2 is encouraging -  but it hasn't earned its place as my music player of choice quite yet.

Good tempered enthusiasm/realism approach mate. Rather than just getting wrapped up in an instant love affair you are being fair and critical in your assessment of the ZX2. Glad you plan to stick with it and see how you feel after a few more weeks of brain burn-in. Regardless of how good a player is, sometimes the signature doesn't work for us, or maybe it doesn't synergize with our headphones or IEM. Good luck with the ZX2 and I hope it meets your expectations.

May 15, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #11,652 of 14,773

There is however one elephant in the room that makes me feel slightly uneasy. Battery replacement. The Sony would have to be taken apart by well, probably Sony for that to happen. Granted, Sony use quality cells in their products (my 18 month old Xperia phablet still holds an excellent charge despite daily battery abuse), but one day, the battery in the NWZX2 will need replacing and I suspect by then, Sony will no longer carry them as replacement parts.

the battery is the least of your concerns, elephant-wise

in fact the zx2 battery is indeed an elephant compared to other DAP's ant batteries 
wink.gif

it holds 30-40 hours a charge, and is good for 500 recharges (at least that's what the manual says)

30 hours times 500 = 15,000 hours

let's make it 10,000 hours , ok ?

listening to 4 hours/day = 2500 days = 8 years

in 2024 we will probably be talking about ZX9

cheers

A few quick questions then.  What is the standard battery life like (anything under 9 hours and forget it), does it do gapless well and can you browse by folder?  Also anyone using sennheiser hd25-II's with the unit and does it have enough grunt for it?

Thanks

battery life - see above answer
gapless - yes
folder browsing - yes 

(gapless + FB are in my 'must do' list as well)

May 15, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #11,653 of 14,773

Thanks

(doubt I'll get it at that price but still a bargain).

I get about 20-25 hours flac play back in flight mode. You will get a fair bit less with streaming so depend on how you plan to use it.

I have owned HD25 but never tried it with ZX2 but my guess is that it should have plenty power to drive them.

May 15, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #11,654 of 14,773
Has anyone tried this, I have ordered a few to try out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back