SONY NW-ZX2
Oct 7, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #8,191 of 14,773

Thank you. Do we know more about these ? Like the drivers are the same as XBA 40 ?or what ?

those BA drivers in XBA300 are those newly developed "T-shaped armature" driver invented by Sony, not the one used in XBA 40 anymore.

Yep like i said previously Linear-drive BA's like the XBA-A3/A2/Z5

Oct 7, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #8,192 of 14,773
i think that the ZX2 works best with lean/neutral iems

i switched from my K3003 , which is a great iem but has a mid-bass hump , to my ck-10 (with FA silicone tips) which is bass-anemic but with a flat FR nevertheless and i really enjoy the synergy with ZX2  - especially considering that one is a 700$ iem and the other is a 200$ iem.

the slightly warm ZX2 copliments the lean ck10 and the missing CK10 bass

guess i need to find a TOTL that sounds like an CK10 on steroids , probably JHA angie is the one although there are still 2-3 months before buying the next iem

we shall see which iem shall make my wallet cry 
tongue.gif

Oct 7, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #8,193 of 14,773
dear friends i need help, my content transfer program just quit working on my mac. i tried switching between sd card and internal storage, re installing the app... the computer sees the walkman but app is not working at all, i tried to transfer my files to walkman music folder but is very slow and sometimes it did not update the music library just stuck at %35.....
i google it but cannot find any solutions... any ideas? 

Oct 7, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #8,194 of 14,773
I tried out the XBA300 with my ZX2 at a local Sony store yesterday. The volume produced by the XBA300 is small, I need to turn up the volume to about 6 out 10, or more for listening. If compare to my UM Pro 30 it only needs probably 4 out of 10. I think it is due to its sensitivity, only 101db.

Besides, the soundstage of XBA300 seems airy and wide. Treble is sparkling but there is a peak there, mids is vivid, reflecting lots of musical instruments clearly. Vocal is at the center position, not too forward or backward, just right. For bass, I tested it with Clear Bass on and set to level 10, It can provide boomy and deep bass without distortion. Overall the XBA300 is very nice, but it needs serious burn-in to tame the spiky high and dry mids that I heard in some of my songs collection. Considering to get it, but one drawback is the volume part, seems even ZX2 still hard to drive. A serious burn-in might give some improvement on this I think.

Last time I was at MK Sony center, I didn't notice they had a demo version, can you comment on the size if compared to the xba 3, if the size is anything like the Z5, A5 or H5, I'm gonna ask my friend to not buy this for me, the mention 3will not stay put in my ears, they just keep falling out.

Oct 7, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #8,195 of 14,773
i think that the ZX2 works best with lean/neutral iems

i switched from my K3003 , which is a great iem but has a mid-bass hump , to my ck-10 (with FA silicone tips) which is bass-anemic but with a flat FR nevertheless and i really enjoy the synergy with ZX2  - especially considering that one is a 700$ iem and the other is a 200$ iem.

the slightly warm ZX2 copliments the lean ck10 and the missing CK10 bass

guess i need to find a TOTL that sounds like an CK10 on steroids , probably JHA angie is the one although there are still 2-3 months before buying the next iem

we shall see which iem shall make my wallet cry :p  

I think there's something to that flat tunning that comes up great as well, my main iem's are ue900 at the moment, while I decide what TOTL to invest in.
Although with pin hole mod and updated baldur m3 cable which is nordost based cable, and TRRS connection.
The Zx2 and UE900 4 balanced armature's give me the most amazing musical experience I have ever experienced, seriously likened to experiencing the best natural high possible. It's an emotional experience as well for me.

But I need to test some of these TOTL IEM'S.(this place drives me nuts) I can't just spend that much $$ at a whim (not made of money unfotunatly) and if it doesn't get a lot better than this. I'll just leave my rig as it is.

Oct 7, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #8,196 of 14,773
But I need to test some of these TOTL IEM'S.(this place drives me nuts) I can't just spend that much $$ at a whim (not made of money unfotunatly) and if it doesn't get a lot better than this. I'll just leave my rig as it is.

Lol I agreed, but it is because we all love to upgrade ? Then again, there are hobby of much more expensive cost, radio controlled nitro cars, electric car, airplane, boats...etc...drones...whatever. Be glad, this is music :D

Oct 7, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #8,197 of 14,773
Lol I agreed, but it is because we all love to upgrade ? Then again, there are hobby of much more expensive cost, radio controlled nitro cars, electric car, airplane, boats...etc...drones...whatever. Be glad, this is music :D

Very true some hobbyists pay with their life, like base jumping, or taking selfies on the edge of a cliff.

So at least this is a safe way of chassing a buzz. But yeah that elusive purchase of iem's, it can go terribly wrong if you get the a bad match of synergy between devices. So I guess its of to canjam or something like this to test stuff out.

Oct 8, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #8,198 of 14,773
I tried out the XBA300 with my ZX2 at a local Sony store yesterday. The volume produced by the XBA300 is small, I need to turn up the volume to about 6 out 10, or more for listening. If compare to my UM Pro 30 it only needs probably 4 out of 10. I think it is due to its sensitivity, only 101db.

Besides, the soundstage of XBA300 seems airy and wide. Treble is sparkling but there is a peak there, mids is vivid, reflecting lots of musical instruments clearly. Vocal is at the center position, not too forward or backward, just right. For bass, I tested it with Clear Bass on and set to level 10, It can provide boomy and deep bass without distortion. Overall the XBA300 is very nice, but it needs serious burn-in to tame the spiky high and dry mids that I heard in some of my songs collection. Considering to get it, but one drawback is the volume part, seems even ZX2 still hard to drive. A serious burn-in might give some improvement on this I think.

I went over to the Sony center today to try the XBA 300, what you have mention is correct to an extent, I think the bass is a little weak, and I went futher and tried the XBA 300 with Sonys very own optional MU cord, with this the bass is slightly better, but still weak, im not the type that like extra bass, I just like them without modification, so I have all the EQ and stuff disabled.

For me using the XBA 3 with the ZX2 I have the volume about little over 51%, whiles my other iem EX600 and EX800 at 50%, for the XBA 300 i have to upper the volume to 65% to 70%, and i dont listen at high volume.

With the optional cable, the volume is slightly louder.

Overall Its a good iem, small size that will fit in most peoples ears, but you need custom cables, or sonys optional one to get better results, and may be the iem needs burning in, i should be getting a japanese version later on, this will be without the mic, so i'm sure the sound will be slightly louder.

Forgot to mention, the default cable is kind of thin, and looks cheap., whiles the main iem is very well built and looks cool.

On the side note, i still like the sound from dynamic drives more than BA.

Oct 8, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #8,199 of 14,773
I went over to the Sony center today to try the XBA 300, what you have mention is correct to an extent, I think the bass is a little weak, and I went futher and tried the XBA 300 with Sonys very own optional MU cord, with this the bass is slightly better, but still weak, im not the type that like extra bass, I just like them without modification, so I have all the EQ and stuff disabled.

For me using the XBA 3 with the ZX2 I have the volume about little over 51%, whiles my other iem EX600 and EX800 at 50%, for the XBA 300 i have to upper the volume to 65% to 70%, and i dont listen at high volume.

With the optional cable, the volume is slightly louder.

Overall Its a good iem, small size that will fit in most peoples ears, but you need custom cables, or sonys optional one to get better results, and may be the iem needs burning in, i should be getting a japanese version later on, this will be without the mic, so i'm sure the sound will be slightly louder.

Forgot to mention, the default cable is kind of thin, and looks cheap., whiles the main iem is very well built and looks cool.

On the side note, i still like the sound from dynamic drives more than BA.

What you both just said is just a typical BA bass signature =(.  I am surprised, because Audio Technica has very Dynamic bass in their IM-01-04 series.  I thought if Sony develop them on their own, they would have done it better.  Well, seeing how I already have 04, I am going to let this one slip.  Thank you for both of your experiences and impressions.

I am also a fan of Dynamic drivers in both Headphones and In ears more than any other kinds :)

Oct 8, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #8,200 of 14,773
what is kind of strange is, that If I remember Sony states that is has a dedicated BA for bass and one for subwoofer, but its kind of weak, when I switched beck to my ex 800, again after trying the xba 300, the sound is very different, the ex800 was louder and the bass started to shake.

may be the xba 300 needs more burn in, and as I said, better cables.

Oct 8, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #8,201 of 14,773

Last time I was at MK Sony center, I didn't notice they had a demo version, can you comment on the size if compared to the xba 3, if the size is anything like the Z5, A5 or H5, I'm gonna ask my friend to not buy this for me, the mention 3will not stay put in my ears, they just keep falling out.

the housing of XBA300 is tiny, no Z5 or A3 size. it is just a bit thicker that the XBA-A1. The build is decent.

For me, the XBA300 did not fall out, but I can feel its tiny housing did not stay firm within my ear canal, I was using medium size tips at that moment.

Oct 8, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #8,202 of 14,773
Have just received the new dual BA Q-Jays and they work really great with ZX2 and are tiny (only about 2/3 of an ER4)

Oct 10, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #8,204 of 14,773
Anyone can comment on the sound of NW-ZX2 driving the MDR-7520 without an amp?

Oct 11, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #8,205 of 14,773

i need help....

1. content transfer is not working after el capitan update on mac....
2. i am trying to transfer files with drag and drop but something is wrong..... my database update is always stuck at %35... sometimes 70 folders some times 26 or something.....

i reset the zx2 but still sticking at 35%.... ( with both sd card and internal memory ) 

also now tidal does not see my sd card..

there is something wrong here

what can i do? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back