SONY NW-ZX2
Oct 5, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #8,176 of 14,773
I was under the impression cheaper models have more bass and expensive models had less bass
Quote:

I have my XBA-A3 and i find they output deep bass only when needed, f.e i am listening to a baroque opera and i notice nice bass but not boom at all, earlier i listened to an old so-so mastered recording and outputted lots of bass, but was the record's mastering

Lucky you!

I think the translucent casing of the XBA300 is an eye-catcher. Hope the sound is better than the XBA-3/30.

I wish Sony provided better inline remote functions for their headphones. The most important being volume control. I am in need of that volume control on the cable as it is easier to control the volume esp. during night listening. Something of the likes of Sony MDR EX100 ip

I want XBA-300 so bad with ZX2.

Not feeling any love with the Z5 when compared to EX1000. I find EX1000 has less bass and its more clearer than Z5. I listen to psy-trance and Z5 puts out too much bass.

I asked a friend to get me one from Japan during his visit on 23rd, Japan is the only place to get the non inline mic version, from the information collected, but can't be sure.

Inline mic version is MDR XBA 300AP

Non inline mic version is MDR XBA 300

Oct 5, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #8,177 of 14,773
Here my ZX2 and Westone UM PRO 30

I have the same combination as yours, they pair really really well and sounds excellent!! I enjoyed them very much.

Oct 6, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #8,178 of 14,773

I read the user manual of the new zx100 and it will let you change on the fly storages while conencted to PC, great news, I ordered mine today

zx2 can also do that while you are usb-connected , so you went for the zx100 , huh ?

there is a zx2 for sale here at 800$ (probably the japan model as well) , seeing you won't have the warranty , i would have gone for the zx2 instead

oh well , your money your honey - enjoy the zx100

Oct 6, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #8,179 of 14,773
  I was under the impression cheaper models have more bass and expensive models had less bass
Quote:

I have my XBA-A3 and i find they output deep bass only when needed, f.e i am listening to a baroque opera and i notice nice bass but not boom at all, earlier i listened to an old so-so mastered recording and outputted lots of bass, but was the record's mastering

Lucky you!

I think the translucent casing of the XBA300 is an eye-catcher. Hope the sound is better than the XBA-3/30.

I wish Sony provided better inline remote functions for their headphones. The most important being volume control. I am in need of that volume control on the cable as it is easier to control the volume esp. during night listening. Something of the likes of Sony MDR EX100 ip

I want XBA-300 so bad with ZX2.

Not feeling any love with the Z5 when compared to EX1000. I find EX1000 has less bass and its more clearer than Z5. I listen to psy-trance and Z5 puts out too much bass.

I asked a friend to get me one from Japan during his visit on 23rd, Japan is the only place to get the non inline mic version, from the information collected, but can't be sure.

Inline mic version is MDR XBA 300AP

Non inline mic version is MDR XBA 300

Apparently, the XBA 300AP does not have a volume control, only mic, play/pause and receive/end calls.

I prefer them without, the controls affect the SQ, more noticeable the volume is louder on the non control version.

Although you are correct that it's more convenience if it does have the volume, and it will be a advantage when used with the ZX2. 

Oct 6, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #8,182 of 14,773
looking for an upgrade to my K3003 , which of these 2 iems you found to work best with ZX2 ?

UM Miracle / JHA Angie ( Universal Versions Only)

Oct 6, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #8,183 of 14,773
looking for an upgrade to my K3003 , which of these 2 iems you found to work best with ZX2 ?

Have not heard any of those three but my guess would be that at that level you are more sidegrading than upgrading

Oct 6, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #8,184 of 14,773

I like the Angie with my ZX2, its my daily driver when I travel. The UM IEMs I didn't get a chance to try with the ZX2, only with my previous ZX1, so the comparison can't be made

Oct 7, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #8,185 of 14,773
I tried out the XBA300 with my ZX2 at a local Sony store yesterday. The volume produced by the XBA300 is small, I need to turn up the volume to about 6 out 10, or more for listening. If compare to my UM Pro 30 it only needs probably 4 out of 10. I think it is due to its sensitivity, only 101db.

Besides, the soundstage of XBA300 seems airy and wide. Treble is sparkling but there is a peak there, mids is vivid, reflecting lots of musical instruments clearly. Vocal is at the center position, not too forward or backward, just right. For bass, I tested it with Clear Bass on and set to level 10, It can provide boomy and deep bass without distortion. Overall the XBA300 is very nice, but it needs serious burn-in to tame the spiky high and dry mids that I heard in some of my songs collection. Considering to get it, but one drawback is the volume part, seems even ZX2 still hard to drive. A serious burn-in might give some improvement on this I think.

Oct 7, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #8,186 of 14,773
The one thing that boggle my mind = how in the heck does this TRRS connector work in balanced mode and also does in TRRS with a microphone on it ?

Firstly when the trrs mic version deginated for phones is connected to the zx2 the actual configuration of the pinouts hasn't changed, it's the same 3.1 connection with extra connection used for mic and volume/answer button.

Once the rewired version of TRRS is in place which splits the pin outs designated for open negative conection's, the resistance paths have changed now in more than one place, the circuit can detect the open paths and do it's thing(digitally switching the amp over, brilliant Sony) offering an open less resistive path for the audio signal.

Oct 7, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #8,187 of 14,773
I tried out the XBA300 with my ZX2 at a local Sony store yesterday. The volume produced by the XBA300 is small, I need to turn up the volume to about 6 out 10, or more for listening. If compare to my UM Pro 30 it only needs probably 4 out of 10. I think it is due to its db, only 106.

Besides, the soundstage of XBA300 seems airy and wide. Treble is sparkling but there is a peak there, mids is vivid, reflecting lots of musical instruments clearly. Vocal is at the center position, not too forward or backward, just right. For bass, I tested it with Clear Bass on and set to level 10, It can provide boomy and deep bass without distortion. Overall the XBA300 is very nice, but it needs serious burn-in to tame the spiky high and dry mids that I heard in some of my songs collection. Considering to get it, but one drawback is the volume part, seems even ZX2 still hard to drive. A serious burn-in might give some improvement on this I think.

Thank you. Do we know more about these ? Like the drivers are the same as XBA 40 ?or what ?

Oct 7, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #8,188 of 14,773
Thank you. Do we know more about these ? Like the drivers are the same as XBA 40 ?or what ?

I think the full  range has the libear-drive BA and the woofer BA was also improved with the linear drive, and has HD super tweeter

Oct 7, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #8,190 of 14,773

those BA drivers in XBA300 are those newly developed "T-shaped armature" driver invented by Sony, not the one used in XBA 40 anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back