SONY NW-ZX2
Sep 30, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #8,101 of 14,755
I thought you were torn between the Angie, Solar and Savant.

savant is out , angie/solar are in , but let the boy dream of even  more TOTL iems 
tongue.gif

looking at these neutral/transparent iems as i think this kind of iems should pair best with my zx2

Sep 30, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #8,102 of 14,755
savant is out , angie/solar are in , but let the boy dream of even  more TOTL iems :p  

looking at these neutral/transparent iems as i think this kind of iems should pair best with my zx2

The Angie or Solar would probably be much better value too considering savant boasts a mighty 2 drivers :p

disclaimer:driver count in an iem may/may not ensure superior sound quality. :)

Sep 30, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #8,103 of 14,755
savant is out , angie/solar are in , but let the boy dream of even  more TOTL iems :p  

Savant will probably be similar to what you already have. I've tried warm IEMs and neutral IEMs and the ZX2 paired well with all of them. Even though it has its own sound, I'm not convinced there is such a thing as 'synergy' with portable stuff - not in the same way there is with desktop gear, anyway.

Sep 30, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #8,104 of 14,755
  savant is out , angie/solar are in , but let the boy dream of even  more TOTL iems 
tongue.gif

dreams of an empire? 
devil_face.gif

Sep 30, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #8,105 of 14,755
thinking to get one of these 3 iems , can nayone say which one sounds better (synergy-wise) with his ZX2 ?

UM Miracle / JH13 / UERM

also 2 questions - are these hard to drive (i have a EU ZX2) ? and can i do the TRRS thing on them ?

JH13 (the original version) works great with EU ZX2 at volume between 1/3 and 1/2. Have never heard the other 2

Sep 30, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #8,106 of 14,755
thinking to get one of these 3 iems , can nayone say which one sounds better (synergy-wise) with his ZX2 ?

UM Miracle / JH13 / UERM

also 2 questions - are these hard to drive (i have a EU ZX2) ? and can i do the TRRS thing on them ?

The UERM sounds great with the ZX2, but if you are looking for low frequency impact look elsewhere.

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #8,108 of 14,755

Try Westone ES50 as they are called now. I have Westone ES5 and It is pretty much near neutral ciem and has amazing synergy with zx2

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #8,109 of 14,755
Just bite the bullet and got a NW-ZX2 over the weekend after trying it out at Bay Bloor Radio paired with their demo Sennheiser IE800 set (I didn't even know these IEMs go for $1000CAD until I googled lol). During the demo I thought it was nothing spectacular but good enough to replace my D-555 Discman for night time home listening (I wanted convenience with my lossless library I built up over the years for my iPod Classic that I use in the car).

Got home and paired it with my trusty MDR-E484 (had to bring it out of retirement as I just don't own any other IEMs at the moment, haven't used a portable for almost 8 years) and I don't think I've ever heard dynamic range and stereo separation this amazing ever (only Dynamic Normalizer and DSEE HX on, everything else off). The burn-in is indeed real as the high end is already much more tamed with less than a dozen hours of listening thus far.

I honestly don't think Sony will make another Walkman this good as absolute high-end Sony models only come once in a long while.  It seems they engineered the ZX2 like how they did ES and R line audio components of past glory days.

Got to go back and demo that PHA-3 some day. Is a PHA-3 overkill to use with a pair of MDR-CD900ST or a PHA-2 is more than sufficient (what about sound quality difference)?  I tried it straight out of the ZX2 headphone out and it doesn't seem to have enough juice to drive the CD900ST properly.

Oct 1, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #8,110 of 14,755
Just bite the bullet and got a NW-ZX2 over the weekend after trying it out at Bay Bloor Radio paired with their demo Sennheiser IE800 set (I didn't even know these IEMs go for $1000CAD until I googled lol). During the demo I thought it was nothing spectacular but good enough to replace my D-555 Discman for night time home listening (I wanted convenience with my lossless library I built up over the years for my iPod Classic that I use in the car).

Got home and paired it with my trusty MDR-E484 (had to bring it out of retirement as I just don't own any other IEMs at the moment, haven't used a portable for almost 8 years) and I don't think I've ever heard dynamic range and stereo separation this amazing ever (only Dynamic Normalizer and DSEE HX on, everything else off). The burn-in is indeed real as the high end is already much more tamed with less than a dozen hours of listening thus far.

I honestly don't think Sony will make another Walkman this good as absolute high-end Sony models only come once in a long while.  It seems they engineered the ZX2 like how they did ES and R line audio components of past glory days.

Got to go back and demo that PHA-3 some day. Is a PHA-3 overkill to use with a pair of MDR-CD900ST or a PHA-2 is more than sufficient (what about sound quality difference)?  I tried it straight out of the ZX2 headphone out and it doesn't seem to have enough juice to drive the CD900ST properly.

Man I m glad u are back here again. It has been a long while my old friend. I personally think that their next top of the line will even be more expensive. Why not cash in while they can? As tell and Kern was able to sell their 2400 dap quite well, so they should be able to do the same.

Oct 1, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #8,111 of 14,755
Man I m glad u are back here again. It has been a long while my old friend. I personally think that their next top of the line will even be more expensive. Why not cash in while they can? As tell and Kern was able to sell their 2400 dap quite well, so they should be able to do the same.

Yea I still lurk around here once a while but generally been out of touch for such a long time. Glad you are still here. I was so surprised when I found out A&K is actually iRiver like holy smokes $3500 bucks really?!? I would love to see a teardown of that.

To be honest I always have an odd feeling that Sony will soon sell off their spun-off units one by one just like what they did with VAIO.

Once I realized Sony is using copper again on the chassis with OS-CON caps and probably mil-grade PCB I knew I got to pull the trigger, very nostalgic. :D

Oct 1, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #8,112 of 14,755
^ AK/iriver make good dap's but there is nothing special inside them to warrant their massive price tags, they simply have HUGE price markups to try make people think they are more premium than other daps, which seems to work on some people lol. AK240 teardown: http://www.head-fi.org/t/697166/the-astell-kern-ak240/5655#post_10984706

Oct 1, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #8,113 of 14,755
Maybe if Sony would be so kind to incorporate one of there top of the range phones (xperia) and used the same or better audio curcuits and boards, as well as layered external case design. With true balanced output's.
And I think they will have another hit if they do this.
But in any case I always look forward to audio time with my zx2, a classic rig for sure.

Oct 1, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #8,114 of 14,755
^ AK/iriver make good dap's but there is nothing special inside them to warrant their massive price tags, they simply have HUGE price markups to try make people think they are more premium than other daps, which seems to work on some people lol. AK240 teardown: http://www.head-fi.org/t/697166/the-astell-kern-ak240/5655#post_10984706

Spot on. The AK120 MKII costs £600 more than the ZX2 in my country and doesn't sound as good. I think they're probably the most commonly seen DAPs in the classified section.

Oct 1, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #8,115 of 14,755
I sure am happy with my decission to buy a ZX2. I expect this to last me many years just as the top of the line Discman did years ago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back