SONY NW-ZX2
May 31, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #5,686 of 14,773

They did skip ZX3 while jumping up to ZX100 instead. Just a wild guess here so let's see if that were implying relatively significant changes under the hood.

As a fellow head-fier mentioned to me earlier, as the one potential image we've seen looks a bit like the ZX1, could this not be a refresh of that player instead, so - we'd need to look out for a ZX200 as well?

could this be a model that fits between the A series and the ZX1, it's kind of strange that they are releasing this that will kill the sales of the ZX2 which is doing so well.

would this be a DAP to go against the A&K JR

May 31, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #5,688 of 14,773
could this be a model that fits between the A series and the ZX1, it's kind of strange that they are releasing this that will kill the sales of the ZX2 which is doing so well.

That is what I thought as well. It would be really silly if Sony releases another high end so soon that would kill sales of current one..I think zx100 would be AK Jr. Competitor..

May 31, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #5,689 of 14,773

They haven't released or announced anything yet. If it weren't for some dedicated enthusiasts who constantly scour the internet for information, we wouldn't even know about the existence of Sony's newest model. Who knows to whom Sony will cater with the ZX100. Will they follow suit and release another top-notch DAP like A&K with the AK380? Or will they replace the ZX1 and try to keep A&K's efforts to attract the not-so wealthy audiophiles at bay? I believe and also hope that the latter will be the case.

The ZX2 is selling like hot cakes right now. Sony would be wise not to scuttle a good selling product this soon. Chances are that many will not be willing to splash out another $1,500-2000 on a new DAP after only 1 year. It remains to be seen how the hefty price tag of the AK380 will affect sales. I admit that I'd like to see A&K fail. Not because I wish them the worst, I simply don't want prices to explode despite the insatiable desire for constant improvements. 

May 31, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #5,690 of 14,773
ZX100 could be the brother of the ZX1, since the latter was never released here.
The release of so many Sony players within a matter of 12 months and less, makes the previous versions seem obsolete and prices fall to what seems the original retail price.

May 31, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #5,691 of 14,773

would this be a DAP to go against the A

They haven't released or announced anything yet. If it weren't for some dedicated enthusiasts who constantly scour the internet for information, we wouldn't even know about the existence of Sony's newest model. Who knows to whom Sony will cater with the ZX100. Will they follow suit and release another top-notch DAP like A&K with the AK380? Or will they replace the ZX1 and try to keep A&K's efforts to attract the not-so wealthy audiophiles at bay? I believe and also hope that the latter will be the case.

The ZX2 is selling like hot cakes right now. Sony would be wise not to scuttle a good selling product this soon. Chances are that many will not be willing to splash out another $1,500-2000 on a new DAP after only 1 year. It remains to be seen how the hefty price tag of the AK380 will affect sales. I admit that I'd like to see A&K fail. Not because I wish them the worst, I simply don't want prices to explode despite the insatiable desire for constant improvements. 

I really don't know what to make of the rumors but I do believe the industry is pushing the limits of the law of diminishing returns at this point. There will always be those who want the "latest and greatest" and occasionally I'm one of those people. That said, any new DAP doesn't somehow diminish my ZX2. I'm happy with it and it does exactly what I hoped it would so I personally don't care what Sony does in the near term. Competition is good so, no, you shouldn't want A&K to fail! If a DAP is overpriced, the marketplace will ensure it fails. There certainly is a lot of interest in the A&K 380 so let's just see how it does. I'm sticking with my ZX2 for the foreseeable future though.

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #5,692 of 14,773
Hi Everyone,

4 days in and I'm absolutely loving my ZX2, I've only got 10 hours on it so I'm a while off the 100 hours recommended. I'll most likely kick off the process of burning it in via repeatedly playing a track over the course of the next few days.

I have a few questions I'm hoping someone would be able to answer. I purchased the ZX2 with the purpose of playing offline Tidal content amongst current collection of FLAC & High Res stuff. In light of that I downloaded about 5 albums and 5 playlists via Tidal's offline mode on the weekend yet today when I tried to download another Playlist I couldn't. I came across a message that asked me to "insert an SD card" if I wanted to download another item in offline mode.

Surprised as I was sure there wasn't much else on the on the ZX2 at the time (perhaps 5 other albums I'd downloaded in FLAC format) I decided to check the storage stats in Windows Explorer and it confirmed what I suspected with the ZX2 showing I had used 16GB of the 128GB I had available.

I then cleared the ZX2 of all the albums & playlists I had downloaded. Only the was I able to download the playlist I had wanted but couldn't earlier. Frustratingly that meant I'd lost all of the previous albums and playlists I had spent the weekend downloading.  

Further to this I couldn't chose the location to which I'd like the ZX2 to download my offline content to. There's a section under SETTINGS > OFFLINE that suggests I can chose the download destination but it's "greyed out". 

I'm concerned as I don't want to clear and re-download content when in actual fact I'd only used just a touch over 10% of the ZX2's storage capacity i the first place. 

Can any Tidal users out there select where their offline content is saved/located? 

Thanks,
Soapy 

Jun 1, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #5,693 of 14,773

Not prefer, just didn't hear an improvement in the short time I listened to the ZX2.

ZX1 with K10 sound great to my ears and I do listen to them that way when commuting to london, but when I go to friends / relatives in the car I take the Hugo and or course the sound is improved in a number of ways.

I am just saying if you dont have the Hugo then the ZX1 and K10's still sound wonderful.

I am not saying the ZX2 is not an improvement over the ZX1, but I prefer the design of the ZX1, its much lighter, while the killer issue still remains that the ZX2 uses too much battery when connected via its digital output port to the hugo, as      well as the port connectors being far too bulky.

So for me there isn't a reason to upgrade.

ZX100 with optical out I would be first in the queue to buy.

Hope that adds clarity and sorts your curiosity in my post.

Thanks for the clarification. I've noticed it mentioned previously that there is a preference for the form factor of the ZX1. It's very good information to know of the good sound of ZX1 with K10's.

How long are we talking about in regards to battery life when streaming a digital signal out of the ZX1? And then how much would the ZX2 extend beyond that?  I haven't used it like this yet, though I am looking forward to doing it with my home rig (where the battery life won't matter, but easy to test). 

Jun 1, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #5,694 of 14,773
My ZX2 has arrived. And it is defect. 

A error message occures: "Systemspeicher defekt" (German, means system memory error)

I'm not amused so far.

Jun 1, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #5,696 of 14,773
I bought it from Amazon. I will send it back and I order a second one.

edit:
... an now it isn't available! Estimated delivery time, 1-3 month
Great BS! 

Jun 1, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #5,698 of 14,773
with amazon and so many people buying and returning how can u really know u are buying a brand new item that has never been used

Jun 1, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #5,699 of 14,773
with amazon and so many people buying and returning how can u really know u are buying a brand new item that has never been used

I can't know it. But can you ever be shure? No.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back