SONY NW-ZX2
Jun 1, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #5,702 of 14,773
Hi Everyone,

4 days in and I'm absolutely loving my ZX2, I've only got 10 hours on it so I'm a while off the 100 hours recommended. I'll most likely kick off the process of burning it in via repeatedly playing a track over the course of the next few days.

I have a few questions I'm hoping someone would be able to answer. I purchased the ZX2 with the purpose of playing offline Tidal content amongst current collection of FLAC & High Res stuff. In light of that I downloaded about 5 albums and 5 playlists via Tidal's offline mode on the weekend yet today when I tried to download another Playlist I couldn't. I came across a message that asked me to "insert an SD card" if I wanted to download another item in offline mode.

Surprised as I was sure there wasn't much else on the on the ZX2 at the time (perhaps 5 other albums I'd downloaded in FLAC format) I decided to check the storage stats in Windows Explorer and it confirmed what I suspected with the ZX2 showing I had used 16GB of the 128GB I had available.

I then cleared the ZX2 of all the albums & playlists I had downloaded. Only the was I able to download the playlist I had wanted but couldn't earlier. Frustratingly that meant I'd lost all of the previous albums and playlists I had spent the weekend downloading.  

Further to this I couldn't chose the location to which I'd like the ZX2 to download my offline content to. There's a section under SETTINGS > OFFLINE that suggests I can chose the download destination but it's "greyed out". 

I'm concerned as I don't want to clear and re-download content when in actual fact I'd only used just a touch over 10% of the ZX2's storage capacity i the first place. 

Can any Tidal users out there select where their offline content is saved/located? 

Thanks,
Soapy 

No. That option is greyes out in my Tidal settings as well.

The problem you had with downloads doesn't sound right, though. I've got plenty of downloaded albums on mine, with no issues.

Jun 1, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #5,703 of 14,773
I have to concur that the popup about volume is quite obnoxious and detrimental to the experience. Not the popup itself, but the brutal lowering of volume to almost inaudible levels. Someone needs to hack this thing pronto... 
mad.gif

Jun 1, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #5,704 of 14,773
No. That option is greyes out in my Tidal settings as well.

The problem you had with downloads doesn't sound right, though. I've got plenty of downloaded albums on mine, with no issues.

Thank you mate. I'll download some more albums & playlists tonight and see how I go. What's interesting is that despite deleting my previous lot of albums and playlists the Tidal folder located under: Android > data > com.aspiro.tidal shows 13GB of data. So while the original lot of media was cleared from Tidal's player/app it doesn't look it's been cleared from the unit itself.

The joys of being an early adopter.

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #5,707 of 14,773
I was able to get my iTunes 1,100-song playlist onto my ZX2 with the built in transfer app last weekend, but then I found out that there is no good way to update the playlist for Mac users.  I was able to add three songs to my NX2 tonight, but not to the playlist I had already installed.  When I tap on my playlist, it says "Not editable."

Mac users apparently only have two options to update playlists on the ZX2:

1) Delete the playlist you already installed on the ZX2 and then install the updated playlist, which takes two and half hours for me via USB.  That isn't much of an option.

2) Install a third party app to sync updated playlists.  Two of these apps are Poweramp and Doubletwist, which installs adware to Chrome and Safari on your computer if you aren't careful and was described as a resource hog by one reviewer.  Poweramp displays the sample rate which apparently most third party apps don't do, but it won't play gapless with AAC files and that is a dealkiller.  Other third party apps either don't work well, install adware, don't display the sample rate, or even downconvert all songs to mp3.

So, neither option is acceptable and I am tempted to return my ZX2.

Here is what Sony says about the ZX2 and the Mac:

"
The Walkman® player and the included software are designed and sold to be used with a computer that can run the Windows® operating system only. Sony does not support the use of the Walkman player with an Apple® Macintosh® computer.​
"  I feel that I have been misled, as there was no mention of this limitation on Sony's sales page for the ZX2, nor was there anything about this on Cruthfield, etc.

Sony also says that its Media Go app, which has more sync options, will work on Macs that run Windows.  I have never had Windows on my Mac.  Does anyone have experience with doing that or any other ideas about updating NX2 playlists with a Mac?

As a sidenote, I am very disappointed with the frequent "Updating database" operations.  This takes around 80 seconds, and I don't even have a card installed.

Also, something is sucking my battery.  It went down 8 % in just the last 14 minutes at idle, with nothing loaded or playing and with Airplane mode on.  That would be 80 % gone in just two hours and 20 minutes!

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #5,708 of 14,773
Thank you mate. I'll download some more albums & playlists tonight and see how I go. What's interesting is that despite deleting my previous lot of albums and playlists the Tidal folder located under: Android > data > com.aspiro.tidal shows 13GB of data. So while the original lot of media was cleared from Tidal's player/app it doesn't look it's been cleared from the unit itself.

The joys of being an early adopter.

Are you on.a Mac? Try emptying the trash on your computer.

Jun 2, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #5,710 of 14,773
  I was able to get my iTunes 1,100-song playlist onto my ZX2 with the built in transfer app last weekend, but then I found out that there is no good way to update the playlist for Mac users.  I was able to add three songs to my NX2 tonight, but not to the playlist I had already installed.  When I tap on my playlist, it says "Not editable."

Mac users apparently only have two options to update playlists on the ZX2:

1) Delete the playlist you already installed on the ZX2 and then install the updated playlist, which takes two and half hours for me via USB.  That isn't much of an option.

2) Install a third party app to sync updated playlists.  Two of these apps are Poweramp and Doubletwist, which installs adware to Chrome and Safari on your computer if you aren't careful and was described as a resource hog by one reviewer.  Poweramp displays the sample rate which apparently most third party apps don't do, but it won't play gapless with AAC files and that is a dealkiller.  Other third party apps either don't work well, install adware, don't display the sample rate, or even downconvert all songs to mp3.

So, neither option is acceptable and I am tempted to return my ZX2.

Here is what Sony says about the ZX2 and the Mac:

"
The Walkman® player and the included software are designed and sold to be used with a computer that can run the Windows® operating system only. Sony does not support the use of the Walkman player with an Apple® Macintosh® computer.​
"  I feel that I have been misled, as there was no mention of this limitation on Sony's sales page for the ZX2, nor was there anything about this on Cruthfield, etc.

Sony also says that its Media Go app, which has more sync options, will work on Macs that run Windows.  I have never had Windows on my Mac.  Does anyone have experience with doing that or any other ideas about updating NX2 playlists with a Mac?

As a sidenote, I am very disappointed with the frequent "Updating database" operations.  This takes around 80 seconds, and I don't even have a card installed.

Also, something is sucking my battery.  It went down 8 % in just the last 14 minutes at idle, with nothing loaded or playing and with Airplane mode on.  That would be 80 % gone in just two hours and 20 minutes!

I find this post a little disturbing!  I just ordered a zx2 today from Amazon, and I'm a Mac user!  That being said, I was under the impression that the files could be dragged and dropped onto the player or the micro sd card.  That won't help with playlist, but it might be a better way to go.  I hear it isn't much better for Astell and Kern and Mac users either.

Jun 2, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #5,711 of 14,773
  I find this post a little disturbing!  I just ordered a zx2 today from Amazon, and I'm a Mac user!  That being said, I was under the impression that the files could be dragged and dropped onto the player or the micro sd card.  That won't help with playlist, but it might be a better way to go.  I hear it isn't much better for Astell and Kern and Mac users either.

I use ZX2 on mac and have no issues .. It shows up as a USB drive on the mac and you can drag and drop folders onto the music folder on walkman and it will show up on the player .. However i had issues managing playlists from mac on ZX2. So i don't use those anymore and created a bunch in the player itself. However this is because if you use stock player which IMO is the best sounding. I also have paid version of poweramp installed on my Sony ZX2 and don't see addware but all playlists from mac are usable and you can edit and add if you want on Poweramp . Also i use poweramp to reconvert some MP3 files in ID V2.3 in the player itself if needed as itunes creates tags in ID V2.4 and you can't see that in the Sony ZX2. Also IMO Poweramp doesn't sound as good as stock player on Sony ZX2 which was not the case on Sony F887. but YMMV. So Sony ZX2 is fully compatible with Mac ( btw you don't really need media go bloatware on your computer do you :) ? ) 

Hope this helps 
PC

Jun 2, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #5,712 of 14,773
Hi PC,

Thanks, that makes me feel better.  I'm not really bothered by not using playlist.  Being able to just drag and drop is one of the reasons I went with the zx2 instead of one of the Astell &Kern offerings.  Also because I've heard the zx2 has great synergy with the Noble K10 which I am awaiting.

Jun 2, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #5,713 of 14,773
I had an issue with "media server" eating the battery, but all is great now :)

Jun 2, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #5,714 of 14,773
Hey Guys 

Firstly I bought the proverbial bullet and purchased the ZX2 online from Sony Canada, will hopefully get it by Monday at the latest, Friday at the earliest. My main reason for purchasing the ZX2 was to use it with Tidal.  I know there is a general disagreement about how much of a difference there is in quality between DSD and FLAC, therefore my question is will I be missing something if I don't use it mainly for DSD? 

Secondly I owned the ZX1 for about two weeks before returning it after reading all the reviews of the ZX2. Some have said the difference is massive ,while others say not by much. Can anyone who's owned both units weigh in? Am I right in paying an extra 500 dollars for the ZX2 especially if i'm mainly using it for Tidal?

By the way I'm gonna pair the unit with my Shure se846 and my custom Um Miracles. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back