SONY NW-ZX2
May 30, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #5,656 of 14,773
Because the synergy with n6 is amazing and it has a stronger amp.He can ask users here who have the ie800 about their opinion but from reading the thread not all were ecstatic with the pairing.I think based on my experience with sony daps the zx2 works best with high end armature iems like se846,k10 e.t.c

I've been using the IE800 with the ZX2 for a couple of months now.

I'm actually a bit at odds with the pairing. It's clearly superior compared to the $200-ish level IEMs I was using prior (MDR-7550). The clarity, sharpness, definition and separation of instrumentation is superior. The bass is superb as well.

I don't know if it's just me, but on certain recordings, the IE800 is a little too bright and sibilant. Even EQing some of the upper frequencies down don't really compensate for it properly.

I guess I'm more of a general purpose IEM sort of guy--one IEM that can do everything very well. The IE800 is close, but in regards to the highs, I find it too finicky.

To this day, I still waffle about getting rid of them and getting some Westone W30s.

May 30, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #5,657 of 14,773
I've been using the IE800 with the ZX2 for a couple of months now.

I'm actually a bit at odds with the pairing. It's clearly superior compared to the $200-ish level IEMs I was using prior (MDR-7550). The clarity, sharpness, definition and separation of instrumentation is superior. The bass is superb as well.

I don't know if it's just me, but on certain recordings, the IE800 is a little too bright and sibilant. Even EQing some of the upper frequencies down don't really compensate for it properly.

I guess I'm more of a general purpose IEM sort of guy--one IEM that can do everything very well. The IE800 is close, but in regards to the highs, I find it too finicky.

To this day, I still waffle about getting rid of them and getting some Westone W30s.

You were one of the people i was refering.The ie800 is very treble picky with the source.It can go from sibilant to  feel like  having razor sharp knives stuck through your ears  when paired with daps with strident or rough treble.Not so with n6.Perfection especially in the highs.

I am of the opinion that once you find an iem that suits your needs and preferences then you built your system around it(dap,amp,cable).I see many people here throwing crazy money without doing much research about what iem goes well with what dap or amp and in the end are dissatisfied with the results even though the particular iem can be  great.

May 30, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #5,658 of 14,773
I am of the opinion that once you find an iem that suits your needs and preferences then you built your system around it(dap,amp,cable).I see many people here throwing crazy money without doing much research about what iem goes well with what dap or amp and in the end are dissatisfied with the results even though the particular iem can be  great.

Not to be a dick, but didn't you just suggest him getting a Cayin N6 for his IE800 and a ZX2 for his K10s? That's a very costly proposition. I'm not trying to start an entire argument, just trying to understand your logic.

May 30, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #5,659 of 14,773
Not to be a dick, but didn't you just suggest him getting a Cayin N6 for his IE800 and a ZX2 for his K10s? That's a very costly proposition. I'm not trying to start an entire argument, just trying to understand your logic.

What do you mean?I just gave him two very viable and synergistic propositions(something that this thread needs more,not to be a dick).He can either keep the ie800 and spent an additional $600 and buy the n6 and have totl setup or he  can buy the k10(which he does not have) if he wants to build the system around zx2.No one is putting a gun to his head and forces him to do both.

May 30, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #5,661 of 14,773
  plenty of other IEM's & out there which offer better value/performance so lets not be claustrophobic in recommendations.

He already has the ie800 if you are refering to them and i think the ie800 offers plenty of performance unless you are talking about the  k10 in which case no comment.He was looking at the zx2 and i suggested that the n6 would be a better pair tonally and according to some users here who have the zx2.

May 30, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #5,662 of 14,773
What do you mean?I just gave him two very viable and synergistic propositions(something that this thread needs more,not to be a dick).He can either keep the ie800 and spent an additional $600 and buy the n6 and have totl setup or he  can buy the k10(which he does not have) if he wants to spend his money on zx2.No one is putting a gun to his head and forces him to do both.

Not trying to offend you, was just curious. How do you like the pairing of the k10 and zx2? K10 has been on my radar for a while

May 30, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #5,663 of 14,773
I wasn't making a case for any brand mentioned, just pointing out there are other brands that offer better performance & value for your hard-earned dosh. hope that clears any confusion.

in other news I can confirm that the ZX1 'does not' have a European volume-cap so I very much doubt if the ZX2 has one.

May 30, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #5,664 of 14,773
Not trying to offend you, was just curious. How do you like the pairing of the k10 and zx2? K10 has been on my radar for a while

No offense,just spirited banter 
smile.gif
.The k10 i do not have that's why i referred to respected headfiers on this thread and the web but i will hear them come summer once i go down to Athens.A dj friend has them and is blown away by how natural and musical they sound and he is a hard one to impress.Look also to Heir 10.A,appears to be the new kid or king on the block.

May 30, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #5,666 of 14,773
Judging by your signature i can imagine what you would like to say 
biggrin.gif
.If you weren't bind by chord a review by you between noble k10 and heir 10 would be interesting.My bet is on Heir edging a win,few who heard it say it's an improvement over k10 but it's heresay so not much to add.I bet it will sound glorious through zx2.An iem with headfone qualities paired with the 3d soundstage of zx2...

May 30, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #5,667 of 14,773
Judging by your signature i can imagine what you would like to say :D .If you weren't bind by chord a review by you between noble k10 and heir 10 would be interesting.My bet is on Heir edging a win,few who heard it say it's an improvement over k10 but it's heresay so not much to add.I bet it will sound glorious through zx2.An iem with headfone qualities paired with the 3d soundstage of zx2...

I guess my AKG K3003 is a iem with headfone qualities and so i wait for the delivery of my zx2 on monday! :)

May 30, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #5,669 of 14,773
  No offense,just spirited banter 
smile.gif
.The k10 i do not have that's why i referred to respected headfiers on this thread and the web but i will hear them come summer once i go down to Athens.A dj friend has them and is blown away by how natural and musical they sound and he is a hard one to impress.Look also to Heir 10.A,appears to be the new kid or king on the block.

My k10's and Zx1 go very well together and sound great even without the hugo in the middle.

I listened to the Zx2 at the Bristol show for only about 5 minutes at the qobuz stand, so only using redbook tracks of my referred test tracks and I wasn't blown away with the differance between the zx1 and 2 to be honest.

I do like the sig of the k10's personally and the zx2 still sounded good, but wont swap for my zx1
smily_headphones1.gif

Not sure if that helps with any of the previous discussions though
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #5,670 of 14,773

My k10's and Zx1 go very well together and sound great even without the hugo in the middle.

I listened to the Zx2 at the Bristol show for only about 5 minutes at the qobuz stand, so only using redbook tracks of my referred test tracks and I wasn't blown away with the differance between the zx1 and 2 to be honest.

I do like the sig of the k10's personally and the zx2 still sounded good, but wont swap for my zx1
smily_headphones1.gif

Not sure if that helps with any of the previous discussions though
biggrin.gif

Most owners here will tell you that the zx2 needs around 200h to sound it's best with intermitent big differences in sound.Those damn capacitors!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back