SONY NW-ZX2
May 5, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #5,041 of 14,755
On the ZX-2, you choose which storage to mount, and that is what you see on your computer.  If you want to move things to the other storage, you change the settings on the unit first, then it shows up on your computer.

So you can't change storage without changing it on the unit first?

May 5, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #5,043 of 14,755
I only own the ZX-1. Can someone tell me for the ZX-2 when you connect it to a computer, do you see both storages? And if you don't, how do you tell the computer which storage you want to use for copying or deleting files? Thanks.

As danlevy already explained, you need to chose between the internal and external storage before you can access one of the two via your laptop or computer.

May 5, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #5,044 of 14,755

you have to use the Sony WMC-NWH10 cable to connect the two... there is no line-in on the Hugo... digital connection only, hth.

btw you can't use the Z1070 with Hugo, you can use ZX2, F886/7 & new A-Series.

Does the Sony WMC-NWH10 cable connects the ZX2 to the Hugo digitally?
ZX2 as DAC to Hugo as amp?  What bit rates in that case?
Thanks

May 5, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #5,045 of 14,755

Thanks

yes the ZX2 connects to the Hugo via the WMC-NWH10 cable, it's digital out... you cannot connect via line-out to Hugo.

the ZX2 is used only as a transport to the Hugo, hth

to be fair to us ZX2 owners, if you have any ZX2/Hugo questions can you please ask them in the in the Hugo-Thread and I'll happily answer them. if it's technical stuff Rob Watts will probably answer, I do the easy-peasy gubbins, link:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/728145/chord-hugo-the-portable-discussion-thread/1260#post_11572611

did I ever mention the bass on the ZX2?...
tongue_smile.gif

May 5, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #5,046 of 14,755
Thanks

It's more like ZX2 as digital 24/192 streaming transport -> Sony WMC-NWH10 proprietary USB cable -> Hugo DAC and Amp -> headphones.

The Hugo is the DAC and amp in this case. The ZX2 is just providing digital info through the cable to the Hugo DAC.

The internal ZX2 DAC is only if you plug headphones in directly or use an analog line out to an analog headphone amp.

May 5, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #5,048 of 14,755

On the ZX-2, you choose which storage to mount, and that is what you see on your computer.  If you want to move things to the other storage, you change the settings on the unit first, then it shows up on your computer.

So you can't change storage without changing it on the unit first?

Just like the A17 one or the other but not both, for that then i use my laptop SD card reader with an microSD to SD adapter

May 6, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #5,049 of 14,755
Pardon, just got my ZX2.  What is the black spacer for and how scratch resistant is the screen,  Seems a bit sticky and already full of my greasy fingerprints.

May 6, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #5,050 of 14,755
  Pardon, just got my ZX2.  What is the black spacer for and how scratch resistant is the screen,  Seems a bit sticky and already full of my greasy fingerprints.

I'd recommend getting extra SP/tempered glass. What black spacer?

May 6, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #5,051 of 14,755

I'd recommend getting extra SP/tempered glass. What black spacer?

a small flat rubber piece inside plastic.  think it's for the uneven backside, or something.  not 100% sure.
how do you turn up the brightness for video?

May 6, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #5,052 of 14,755

The spacer is for when you use a portable amp, it sits loosely under the top of the unit at the back so the unit stays level when attached on top of the amp with elastic bands. Without the spacer the battery bump at the back makes the unit lie at an angle on a flat surface (the amp) ! Did you also get the rubber port protector / headphone jack guard? I got one with my Japanese unit but I've seen people mention not having them in other regions. I figured the headphone jack part is to stop any potential for all metal headphone plugs from touching and grounding electrically to the huge gold part of the jack.

The screen definitely does not have any form of anti fingerprint coating like new iPhones / iPads have, it's just glass. This might actually make it a bit less 'scratch' prone as a lot of 'scratches' on the iDevices are actually marks on the screen coating - which gradually wears off over a few months anyway.

Having said that, I'm not risking it and am getting a (plastic) screen protector for it. I'm going to have to carefully remove and replace the Hi-Res sticker over the screen protector though!

Edit: Brightness control is from the home screen, flick left and the page that slides in from the right has five icons at the top, the one that looks like a little 'cog', is actually the brightness control. You can also get to a brightness slider somewhere in the settings sub menus, but I don't remember exactly where, sorry.

May 6, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #5,053 of 14,755
Does it rebuild the database each time you start up ? or only when you add or remove files ?

Is there a way to disable automatic rebuilding and make it only manual ?

I have 10000+ mp3s and flacs, i don't want to wait 10 min each time i am starting it !

also is it badly sluggish or manageable sluggish with this amount of music ?

Thanks

May 6, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #5,054 of 14,755
After owning the zx2 for a few months, I can say the worst thing about it is how fast the battery drains to zero when you don't use it. Mine was at 50%. I didn't use it for a a few days (maybe three) which is the longest stretch I have not used the zx2. This morning it was dead. That is major drain. That's in airplane mode, I have turned off or deleted every battery sucking program in android (around 40 different programs)

I'm glad I didn't sell my A17. I can leave that alone for a month, which I have done, and it doesn't lose any charge. Always reliable.

More and more, I begin to see the A17 in a better light. At first I was all over the zx2 and even listed my a17 for sale on craigslist. Glad I changed my mind. It's smaller, runs longer, and the SQ is so close to the Zx2, I begin to wonder if the tradeoff for the major increase in size/weight, and fast battery drain, is even worth it. I had no idea about Android before I bought it, but it's disappointing to see what a major battery drain it is, even with everything switched off or deleted.

May 6, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #5,055 of 14,755
After owning the zx2 for a few months, I can say the worst thing about it is how fast the battery drains to zero when you don't use it. Mine was at 50%. I didn't use it for a a few days (maybe three) which is the longest stretch I have not used the zx2. This morning it was dead. That is major drain. That's in airplane mode, I have turned off or deleted every battery sucking program in android (around 40 different programs)

I'm glad I didn't sell my A17. I can leave that alone for a month, which I have done, and it doesn't lose any charge. Always reliable.

More and more, I begin to see the A17 in a better light. At first I was all over the zx2 and even listed my a17 for sale on craigslist. Glad I changed my mind. It's smaller, runs longer, and the SQ is so close to the Zx2, I begin to wonder if the tradeoff for the major increase in size/weight, and fast battery drain, is even worth it. I had no idea about Android before I bought it, but it's disappointing to see what a major battery drain it is, even with everything switched off or deleted.

Why dont you just turn it off?
I dont know which headphones are you using but the ZX2 sq is way above the A17...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back