SONY NW-ZX2
May 4, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #5,012 of 14,755
has anyone tried to connect there ZX2 to directly in to a preamp for 2 channel system? How were your results? been contemplating using it directly versus getting a outside dac. just waiting for my mini to rca arrive in the mail to try it out first.

May 4, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #5,013 of 14,755
Hi everybody,

I wanted to upgrade from x5,

And i had my eyes on zx2,

But iam still going back and forth , i mean there is too much hype for the zx2 but only one review,

we are waiting for some more reviews :D

Iam also thinking hm901, p1 , ak100ii respectively

but the zx2 has a great set of features, specially the battery since the rest plays from 6 to 10 hours.

there has been some great deals for used hm901 + 2 cards at 600$ which make it really hard to decide but i still didnt pull the trigger as i feel there is more to the zx2.

If someone owned some of these daps, can we get some positives and negatives, i already went through the thread but only found stuff related to ak100ii, not to other daps.

thanks !

May 4, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #5,014 of 14,755

One consideration would be if you use streaming music services like Tidal or Spotify (I do), in which case the Sony would be an advantage.  I was on the verge of buying the ZX2 after reading of it's praises, but ended up buying the Hugo only because I don't use portables outside the house very often, and knew I could use any number of DAPs with it when I decide to change.  Honestly though, I personally would choose the ZX2 if I wanted a DAP only solution, as it appears to be one of the best sounding DAPs and has Wifi, which DAPs like the AK's do not yet have.  IMO.

I am not going to use any streaming service. I agree that it looks like for an all-in-one solution, ZX2 seems to be the best choice.

Easily the Hugo, in the UK the Hugo is sold for a decent price so it's a no brainer if you are fine with the size and stacking.

Hey mate, I've got the ZX2 and the Hugo. To me, the Hugo sounds better than the Sony. It's got more of an analogue style sound that all these Vinyl Heads rave about. It's smoother, less fatiguing and very musical. The Sony is a bit more "in your face". It's punchier, seems to carry a bit more bass weight. Sony: more portable and yeah it's great if you want to use a service like Tidal (which I love). But! If you want to drive bigger, more demanding cans and don't really have a need for ultimate portability, I'd go for the Hugo. It really is an amazing piece of audiophile tech. Probably my favourite purchase yet. Just my two cents worth
wink.gif

Thank you both. I think I am going to cancel my order for the ZX2 and go for the Hugo. Any recommendations for a cheap transport? I was thinking the Fiio X3 ii would be a good pairing.

May 4, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #5,015 of 14,755
Hi everybody,

But iam still going back and forth , i mean there is too much hype for the zx2 but only one review,

but the zx2 has a great set of features, specially the battery since the rest plays from 6 to 10 hours.

there has been some great deals for used hm901 + 2 cards at 600$ which make it really hard to decide but i still didnt pull the trigger as i feel there is more to the zx2.

If someone owned some of these daps, can we get some positives and negatives, i already went through the thread but only found stuff related to ak100ii, not to other daps.

thanks !

I'm somewhat also in the same boat as you hehe. Looking to upgrade my X5. Dap only not amp brick stacking for me. My final list includes ZX2, Paw Gold and HM901S.
My sister happens to go to Tokyo soon so I'm tempted asking her to buy one ZX2. If the SQ is close enough to the others, then the nearly half price plus great battery life with wifi stream cake icing seems the right move.
Whichever dap I choose is going to pair with a ciem only, no plans of using a can on the horizon.
I'm still undecided as to which ciem to get too, Adel 12 or K10 (Legend Omega as 3rd option).

May 4, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #5,016 of 14,755
I am not going to use any streaming service. I agree that it looks like for an all-in-one solution, ZX2 seems to be the best choice.

Thank you both. I think I am going to cancel my order for the ZX2 and go for the Hugo. Any recommendations for a cheap transport? I was thinking the Fiio X3 ii would be a good pairing.
you could ask in the QLS QA360 thread, seems it has a nice line out.

May 4, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #5,017 of 14,755

I'm looking around myself.  I've read much about the Fiio UI kind of being a pain, maybe a DX90?  I was thinking about a used A17 or ZX1, keeping in mind that I do use Tidal as well as my own library.  On the other hand, I haven't been looking too hard since my iPad and iPhone sound great through the Hugo.  The Sony's would be more so I could also easily play my Hi Res music without down sampling or using home sharing.  Just waiting for the right price, though I can't explain why I'm trying to be so thrifty about buying a source DAP when I have this Hugo in hand!
rolleyes.gif
  I would like the ZX2!

May 4, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #5,018 of 14,755
you could ask in the QLS QA360 thread, seems it has a nice line out.

Haven't read anything about this one.  I'll check it out!

May 4, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #5,019 of 14,755
I'm somewhat also in the same boat as you hehe. Looking to upgrade my X5. Dap only not amp brick stacking for me. My final list includes ZX2, Paw Gold and HM901S.
My sister happens to go to Tokyo soon so I'm tempted asking her to buy one ZX2. If the SQ is close enough to the others, then the nearly half price plus great battery life with wifi stream cake icing seems the right move.
Whichever dap I choose is going to pair with a ciem only, no plans of using a can on the horizon.
I'm still undecided as to which ciem to get too, Adel 12 or K10 (Legend Omega as 3rd option).

iam not into stacks too, well i mainly listen to iems so power is not a big concern but its welcome anyway,
i listen through se846 and jh16 and wont update that anytime soon, might get a grado rs2e i dont know how would it drive them though.

good luck with the adel or the k10, i only hear good things about them specially the k10, it seems to be dominating now :D

Well when you settle your mind about the dap or if you get any interesting opinion, let me know !

May 4, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #5,021 of 14,755
Hi everybody,

thanks !

Too much hype? What makes you too much hype? Everybody who owns zx2 are loving it. That is not too much hype.

May 4, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #5,022 of 14,755
I'm looking around myself.  I've read much about the Fiio UI kind of being a pain, maybe a DX90?  I was thinking about a used A17 or ZX1, keeping in mind that I do use Tidal as well as my own library.  On the other hand, I haven't been looking too hard since my iPad and iPhone sound great through the Hugo.  The Sony's would be more so I could also easily play my Hi Res music without down sampling or using home sharing.  Just waiting for the right price, though I can't explain why I'm trying to be so thrifty about buying a source DAP when I have this Hugo in hand! :rolleyes:   I would like the ZX2!

DX90 UI is even worst than AK100ii.

May 4, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #5,023 of 14,755
ok, my Sony ZX2 will finally be here tomorrow.
My intent is to store large bit rate m4a Apple lossless tracks, connect with Hugo and let the Hugo drive my headphones during travels.
My current config of iPhone 6 plus to Hugo does not do 24/192.  It does not sound as good as macbook pro to Hugo which can do 24/192

Any of you using ZX2 with Hugo this way?

May 5, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #5,024 of 14,755
  ok, my Sony ZX2 will finally be here tomorrow.
My intent is to store large bit rate m4a Apple lossless tracks, connect with Hugo and let the Hugo drive my headphones during travels.
My current config of iPhone 6 plus to Hugo does not do 24/192.  It does not sound as good as macbook pro to Hugo which can do 24/192

Any of you using ZX2 with Hugo this way?

man r u serious, what u mean your iphone can not do 24/192, use the cck cable and connect to hugo and u can even have dsd

May 5, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #5,025 of 14,755

man r u serious, what u mean your iphone can not do 24/192, use the cck cable and connect to hugo and u can even have dsd

i have the CCK from the start.  you can get to 24/96 using iTunes on iPhone. that's it.  are you saying there are other IOS players that can do higher than that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back