SONY NW-ZX2
May 2, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #4,997 of 14,755
  Does the ZX2 have an FM radio  ? I can't find it listed in the specs.

Sony's Walkmen (Walkmans?) used to come with an FM radio but this seems to have changed with their Android models. Both the Z-series and the ZX-series do not have one. Apparently the operating system plays decisive a role in this, but I'm not an expert. I don't think that my Samsung Galaxy 4Mini has one, either.

The A17, for example, does have an FM radio. Look at this:

You could install an app and listen to the radio via Wifi, though. But that is probably not the solution you desire.

May 2, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #4,998 of 14,755
is there a fm chip inside the zx2?  maybe some US dudes can try http://nextradioapp.com/

May 3, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #4,999 of 14,755

If the ZX1 had a microSD slot I would not have sold it period. The player offered great sound quality.

My biggest beef with the ZX1 beside the missing microSD is the battery life.  No the battery life isn't too bad when playing music files but it got less than 4.5 hours when using its digital out via USB.  After owning the ZX2 for over 6 weeks now, I really do miss the form factor & weight on the ZX1.  I also feel that the ZX1 is a little speedier compared to the ZX2.  

May 3, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #5,000 of 14,755
  My biggest beef with the ZX1 beside the missing microSD is the battery life.  No the battery life isn't too bad when playing music files but it got less than 4.5 hours when using its digital out via USB.  After owning the ZX2 for over 6 weeks now, I really do miss the form factor & weight on the ZX1.  I also feel that the ZX1 is a little speedier compared to the ZX2.  

Agreed on all counts. I just upgraded to ZX2. It's burning in as I type. It already sounds like it has a bit more scale and detail and I'm getting over 40 hours of 44.1k FLAC and the extra storage is great but man it's heavy! 

May 3, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #5,002 of 14,755
Sony's Walkmen (Walkmans?) used to come with an FM radio but this seems to have changed with their Android models. Both the Z-series and the ZX-series do not have one. Apparently the operating system plays decisive a role in this, but I'm not an expert. I don't think that my Samsung Galaxy 4Mini has one, either.

The A17, for example, does have an FM radio. Look at this:

You could install an app and listen to the radio via Wifi, though. But that is probably not the solution you desire.
HTC One M9 has an FM radio, as does LG G3, both running Android...

What you'll probably find is that most manufacturers try to limit chip count, and the FM chip doesn't serve any purpose to the rest of the OS...

May 3, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #5,004 of 14,755
I use a modified version of this Sony radio:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=221533334585&alt=web

And nothing comes close to its sound, it sounds really nice, for FM radio.

You simply double the value of the capacitors in it within the audio path, and it sounds much better again.

http://download.milesburton.com/Libretto/www.fixup.net/tips/srfs83/srfs83.htm

May 3, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #5,005 of 14,755

What are good places to get 24/192 and DSD 5.6M recordings?
Thanks

Here's a link to HDtracks to purchase (up to) 24/192 downloads. Google is your friend for searching out DSD 5.6M recordings. IMHO anything more than 16/44 is overkill and I cannot tell the difference in blind testing but perhaps others really can. Not trying to start that discussion here but I'm not convinced it's worth the extra expense.
https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php

Edit..here's a link for info on DSD recordings. http://dsd-guide.com/where-can-you-find-dsd-music-downloads

Did same testing and i cannot distinguish after 24/96 and a bit from 16/44.1 from 24/96

May 4, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #5,006 of 14,755

I fitted the Ranko TRRS plug today to my nordost cable today, and I can confirm a notable improvement to the soundstage, and the bass seems more controlled  as well. I think Sony are undervaluing this connection, even tho its apparently not a  fully balanced design. I like what I hear.
I think its worth updating the plugs and or cables to TRRS. 

May 4, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #5,007 of 14,755
How are you f
So I received my ZX2 today from Crutchfield.
I only listened to it for a few minutes as I'm loading music but it sound better than my A-17.
I'm using some JH16s and the clarity so far is good but looking forward to DAP opening up for an expanded soundstage.

As most have said, the build quality is very solid and on the heavy side but like the footprint.
It has lots of applications installed and don't really care for them as I only want to use this for music.
I'm new to Android and have to get familiar with OS.

Stay tuned!
How are you finding your ZX2 now with the JH16's? I'm assuming you've got many 100's of hours on it now. I love that combo but am already looking for more gear. Just today placed an order for the AK240SS, after that it'll be more CIEM's. Probably along the lines of SE5's/CA H8P/NT6P.

May 4, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #5,008 of 14,755
Sorry if this question has already been asked here but I am looking to replace my iPod Classic+CLAS DB + ALO Rx Mk3-B and I have the option of either buying the ZX2 or Fiio 3Xii + Hugo. I listened to the Hugo recently at the Cambridge meet and it was very impressive. I will be using my UM Miracles and soon to get Audioquest NightHawk headphones.

Leaving aside the convience factor and the UI of the Sony for one side, which one would you go for? In terms of pure sound quality, is the ZX2 performance as a stand alone DAP close enough to Hugo? I am pulling my hair trying to decide between the two.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Hey mate, I've got the ZX2 and the Hugo. To me, the Hugo sounds better than the Sony. It's got more of an analogue style sound that all these Vinyl Heads rave about. It's smoother, less fatiguing and very musical. The Sony is a bit more "in your face". It's punchier, seems to carry a bit more bass weight. Sony: more portable and yeah it's great if you want to use a service like Tidal (which I love). But! If you want to drive bigger, more demanding cans and don't really have a need for ultimate portability, I'd go for the Hugo. It really is an amazing piece of audiophile tech. Probably my favourite purchase yet. Just my two cents worth :wink:

May 4, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #5,009 of 14,755
Hey mate, I've got the ZX2 and the Hugo. To me, the Hugo sounds better than the Sony. It's got more of an analogue style sound that all these Vinyl Heads rave about. It's smoother, less fatiguing and very musical. The Sony is a bit more "in your face". It's punchier, seems to carry a bit more bass weight. Sony: more portable and yeah it's great if you want to use a service like Tidal (which I love). But! If you want to drive bigger, more demanding cans and don't really have a need for ultimate portability, I'd go for the Hugo. It really is an amazing piece of audiophile tech. Probably my favourite purchase yet. Just my two cents worth :wink:
Have same opinion regarding DAC preference. But Hugo is more detailed and sounds as if some veil has been removed.

May 4, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #5,010 of 14,755
Have same opinion regarding DAC preference. But Hugo is more detailed and sounds as if some veil has been removed.
Are you saying that you feel the ZX2 has a veil? I can't hear it. One DAC/Amp that to my ears has significant veil is the HIFIM8. I was really disappointed considering so many had raved about how good it's supposed to be. Definitely not hearing a veil with ZX2 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back