SONY NW-ZX2
May 6, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #5,056 of 14,755
Why dont you just turn it off?
I dont know which headphones are you using but the ZX2 sq is way above the A17...

Yes, I could turn it off, but still, it's MAJOR drain for standby mode. Something you don't ever have to think about with the A17, as it shuts itself off after 24 hours. That's something I wish Android would do. I use Beyer dynamic t 90's, DUNU titan 1's, and koss ksc 35's. Can only hear the difference when doing side by side comparisons seconds apart. Very close, (zx2 has 20% lead) and I attribute a lot of that lead to bias because I know I spent over $1000 more on the zx2 and I expect it to sound better. These differences won't be noticed a minute later. It's not like I take the a17 out and think, "man, this sounds awful. Better use my zx2" It's only noticable with very quick comparisons. This just reinforces my feelings that the $300 I spent for the A17 was a hell of a deal.

May 6, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #5,057 of 14,755
Among the open box tests I did was magnetic emission.  High EMF may be harmful.  In the Sony NW-ZX2 case, it's nearly minimal even during I/O, WiFi and Bluetooth use.

Server on, WiFi on, Bluetooth on, video playing.

I noticed there is a microphone as the Google speech search worked.  Is there also in internal speaker?  Would Whats App work for voice without headphones?

May 6, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #5,059 of 14,755
After owning the zx2 for a few months, I can say the worst thing about it is how fast the battery drains to zero when you don't use it. Mine was at 50%. I didn't use it for a a few days (maybe three) which is the longest stretch I have not used the zx2. This morning it was dead. That is major drain. That's in airplane mode, I have turned off or deleted every battery sucking program in android (around 40 different programs)

I'm glad I didn't sell my A17. I can leave that alone for a month, which I have done, and it doesn't lose any charge. Always reliable.

More and more, I begin to see the A17 in a better light. At first I was all over the zx2 and even listed my a17 for sale on craigslist. Glad I changed my mind. It's smaller, runs longer, and the SQ is so close to the Zx2, I begin to wonder if the tradeoff for the major increase in size/weight, and fast battery drain, is even worth it. I had no idea about Android before I bought it, but it's disappointing to see what a major battery drain it is, even with everything switched off or deleted.

That's weird. I left mine on in airplane mode for 3 days and it only drained around 10-15%...

Quote:
  Among the open box tests I did was magnetic emission.  High EMF may be harmful.  In the Sony NW-ZX2 case, it's nearly minimal even during I/O, WiFi and Bluetooth use.

Server on, WiFi on, Bluetooth on, video playing.

I noticed there is a microphone as the Google speech search worked.  Is there also in internal speaker?  Would Whats App work for voice without headphones?

How about on radio/microwave mode? :D

May 6, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #5,060 of 14,755
May 6, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #5,061 of 14,755
Does it rebuild the database each time you start up ? or only when you add or remove files ?

Is there a way to disable automatic rebuilding and make it only manual ?

I have 10000+ mp3s and flacs, i don't want to wait 10 min each time i am starting it !

also is it badly sluggish or manageable sluggish with this amount of music ?

Thanks

It's rebuilt it every time for me. You could try a different Android music player app rather then the default Sony one - the Onkyo HF one seems popular here - although this is speculation on my part, they might handle the database differently.

I only have a couple of hundred tracks on mine, so I can't help on the sluggishness question, sorry!

May 6, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #5,062 of 14,755
ZERO.
Perfectly safe next to your family jewels.

That's great news :D
Out of curiosity how does your smartphone fair in those readings?

May 6, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #5,063 of 14,755
That's great news
biggrin.gif

Out of curiosity how does your smartphone fair in those readings?

It depends on how the iPhone 6 plus is being used.
Voice and I/O, it is above "EMF community" claimed danger levels.
Media Player - iTunes.  within safe levels
Web search - at danger levels.  Here, I use it at beyond 2 feet.

With the Sony NW-ZX2, so far all uses have seen minimal EMF, radio and microwaves.
Quite happy about that.

May 6, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #5,064 of 14,755
It depends on how the iPhone 6 plus is being used.
Voice and I/O, it is above "EMF community" claimed danger levels.
Media Player - iTunes.  within safe levels
Web search - at danger levels.  Here, I use it at beyond 2 feet.

With the Sony NW-ZX2, so far all uses have seen minimal EMF, radio and microwaves.
Quite happy about that.

That's nice to hear, I wouldn't be surprised if the super low emissions are a result of the build quality and design to minimise interference in the sound path. It really is turning out to be a solid and well built piece of kit.

May 6, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #5,065 of 14,755
Could a Tokyo savvy person point me towards some easily accessible store that sells ZX2 at a decent price?
Pondering wether to ask my sister to pick one up in two weeks from now or go via Pricejapan :regular_smile :

May 6, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #5,066 of 14,755
That's nice to hear, I wouldn't be surprised if the super low emissions are a result of the build quality and design to minimise interference in the sound path. It really is turning out to be a solid and well built piece of kit.

It really does feel solid.  Reminds me of the Leica rangefinder and older Nikon F series cameras.  Compared with the $2500 Hugo, the Sony ZX2 feels more solid and much more dense.  The emission of the Hugo is also much higher.  Within safe levels.

If the ZX2 had an OLED screen, that would be even better.

May 6, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #5,068 of 14,755
Could a Tokyo savvy person point me towards some easily accessible store that sells ZX2 at a decent price?
Pondering wether to ask my sister to pick one up in two weeks from now or go via Pricejapan :regular_smile :

Bic Camera or Yodobashi Camera have lots of branches, there is a huge Bic at Ikebukuro (two actually, there's an outlet store on the other side of the station) and a huge Yodobashi at Akihabara but both are kinda hectic!

There's a calmer, really nice Bic Camera in Akasaka (note, there's another famous district of Tokyo called Asakusa where the Sensoji temple is, don't get them confused!) if she heads for the Nagatacho / Akasaka-Mitsuke station and use one of the Akasaka-Mitsuke exits she should come out either right under the Bic store or just over the street from it. In case of confusion, it's at the corner of Sotobori-dori and Aoyama-dori, it's 8 stories tall and she can't miss it. Audio is on floor 2 or 3 (don't quite remember!) but they have the ZX1 and ZX2 on a stand right by one of the escalators. There's also a really nice temple just down Sotobori-dori, and the government buildings are close too for some sightseeing. Duty free shopping is possible and they probably will automatically offer it to a western face. There's lots of form filling and she'll need her passport (they staple a receipt to your visa which you turn to a customs desk on departure, no extra payment - just proof the goods did actually leave the country).

If that's too much out of the way, there's always the Sony building in Ginza. It's right opposite the huge department store at the crossing of Sotobori-dori (again, same street, other side of town!) and Harumi-dori. Helpfully it has a huge Sony logo at the top of the building. It doesn't really look like a typical 'store' there's a lovely receptionist and floors 1-3 are showcases for all of Sony's products. The store is on floor 4 and there's a duty free section, the salespeople are lovely and speak good English.

Hope all that helps. It's not too scary buying electronics in Tokyo :)

Edit: there is another station just called 'Akasaka'. The one she wants is Akasaka-Mitsuke which is attached to Nagatacho.

May 6, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #5,069 of 14,755
If you want duty free, forget the Sony store, the duty free section does not sell the ZX2, only the ZX1, if you goto facebook, search for BIC camera English, they have a coupon with 8% tax free + 6% Off, but do shop around you can probably pick up a good deal.

May 6, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #5,070 of 14,755
If you want duty free, forget the Sony store, the duty free section does not sell the ZX2, only the ZX1, if you goto facebook, search for BIC camera English, they have a coupon with 8% tax free + 6% Off, but do shop around you can probably pick up a good deal.

Aha! I did wonder why they didn't have it out on display. I only got my flip case from there after I already picked up the player in Bic, so I didn't really bother asking.

Thanks for setting me straight :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back