SONY NW-ZX2
Mar 15, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #2,971 of 14,773
how often did sony reply to one of your questions that wasn't already in the help guide?
sony PR people are trained ninjas, nobody ever caught one. they often don't even communicate on the good stuff they do, that's how sly they are ^_^.
sony not talking isn't a good or a bad thing, it's sony.

Sony answers all my questions, when I talk to the right dept. When I call the U.S. line and get transferred to off shore calling centers, I get hung up on. When I call the Canada line in Toronto, or get a call back because of bad service from the U.S. line, I get great service. I will call them again and find out about this 'glass'. Might not get anywhere but I'm sure the Toronto guys will at least try to find out.

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #2,972 of 14,773
I am in France & Belgium, so If I want to get a ZX2 WITHOUT the volume cap, do I need to buy it in japan for example (from PriceJapan) ? but.... in this case is the Firmware international (I do not want japanese UI only ! 
rolleyes.gif
 )

also, I have 3 questions:

- The 15mw output seems very weak....so, with a LCD-X do I need an external amp ?  

- I already own a HUGO DAC/AMP. So I wonder which will sound best with my LCD-X (balanced cable) headphone:  The HUGO or a PHA-3 ?   Any idea ?

- has someone already tested the 200Gb SanDisk in the ZX-2 ?  Is it fully supported ?

thanks

Mar 15, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #2,973 of 14,773
Sony answers all my questions, when I talk to the right dept. When I call the U.S. line and get transferred to off shore calling centers, I get hung up on. When I call the Canada line in Toronto, or get a call back because of bad service from the U.S. line, I get great service. I will call them again and find out about this 'glass'. Might not get anywhere but I'm sure the Toronto guys will at least try to find out.

wow lucky. always knew canada was special. in france I usually get answered to all my questions by something like "you reached the wrong department" and no link to the right one. that's when I try by mail.
and by phone as my questions are usually a little technical, It tends to end up as "hello IT, did you try turning it OFF and ON again?", or "send it back if you think there's a problem" ^_^.
maybe I'll try to get some canadian dudes from now on
biggrin.gif
. priceless intel!

Mar 15, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #2,974 of 14,773
You see, with an iPad I never have to worry about scratches. I have had one for four years (no protector) and not a mark on it. It does not need a plastic screen. The question is WHY does Sony refuse to reveal what they use for glass? That is basic info to me and should be answered for a $300 let alone $1300 investment.

Same here but it has a flip cover and I don't put it in my pocket with coins or keys. I don't like flip covers on portables.

Mar 15, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #2,975 of 14,773
  I had made a line out adapter that goes at a right angle rather than straight out with some nice high end cables and glad that it works. I don't understand why most adapters go straight out on portable gear. It just gives that much more of a chance to get hit and the leverage will ruin the connector or the input of the portable unit. 

any picture of your cable on the Sony ? :wink:  

Mar 15, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #2,976 of 14,773
I am in France & Belgium, so If I want to get a ZX2 WITHOUT the volume cap, do I need to buy it in japan for example (from PriceJapan) ? but.... in this case is the Firmware international (I do not want japanese UI only ! :rolleyes:  )

- The 15mw output seems very weak....so, with a LCD-X do I need an external amp ?  

- I already own a HUGO DAC/AMP. So I wonder which will sound best with my LCD-X (balanced cable) headphone:  The HUGO or a PHA-3 ?   Any idea ?

- has someone already tested the 200Gb SanDisk in the ZX-2 ?  Is it fully supported ?

thanks

I doubt it....Sony stated the expandable only read upto 128gb. I don't even think this 200gb Sandisk is on the shelves yet

To me, I personally dislike L shaped connector. It will just keep on rotating and ruins the pins connectors inside the plug. I rather use straight connector :D. But it is pure personal opinion.

As far as cable sizes and gauges....to my basic knowledges, the most efficient cable would have to be larger in diameter, and of single gauge instead of multi gauges. So based on this, I have to say that the TRRS cable I have here won't be as good as the larger one and of less gauges.

There will be diminishing return on everything though, and for that, You would have to question yourself. Without the use of a powerful amp, can a larger cable with less gauge counts be efficient enough to drive the IEMS directly from ZX2 ? Without degrading the sound ?

Pardon me from here. But these followings are my pure thinkings, observations, and personal opinions only.

1/ One realistical example would be that you stand at the end of a large empty metal pipe. Your friend will knock on it with an axe, now what sound do you hear ?

2/ Similarly, but instead of one single empty pipe of the same material, do it with multiple empty pipes and twisted up on top of each other for the same total diameter....what do you hear ?

3/ Also the same as 10x larger of the single empty pipe....what do you hear ? Would mostly be like

1/ full and smooth sound with good decay of the impact
2/ vieled up sound with shorter decay of the impact
3/ clear sound.....but too little volume to hear correctly ? Because of the diminishing return. Now imagine that you can amplify this impact....do you think the original sound will not be filtered, clipped, affected in someway when it got amplified ? Who, and what made that amplifier ? For this reason, Sony invented S-Master amplifier....simple, yet affective.

There will always be debates based on S-Master vs any other DAC chips....and you know how it goes....no one want to say their products are worse, and others are better.....the same as fans.

I adopted S-Master because of it foundation.....it is the most simplistical amplifier with less circuitry components and materials. For this reason, S-Master will stay closer to the source, and will most likely be affected by the use of different materials in the circuitry than others.....including SDCards ? This explain why mostly all S-Master products with different boards and circuitry sounds different from each other. They all are very clear and harsh though....until Sony discovered that Copper sounds more balanced with warm lows end and clear high ends of the frequency......and this is the ZX2 itself.

Mar 15, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #2,977 of 14,773

I am in France & Belgium, so If I want to get a ZX2 WITHOUT the volume cap, do I need to buy it in japan for example (from PriceJapan) ? but.... in this case is the Firmware international (I do not want japanese UI only ! 
rolleyes.gif
 )

thanks

I doubt it....Sony stated the expandable only read upto 128gb. I don't even think this 200gb Sandisk is on the shelves yet

I saw a guy who bought a Sd to microSD adapter and put into his A10 walkman and plugged a 256GB card and it works, personally i haven't tested and for $400 ofor a card i'll wait until they come down in price

Mar 15, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #2,978 of 14,773
Folder view does not work for SD card. Works for in system memory files. Any solution.

piksnz, did you solved this problem by putting all your music in a folder called " music " ?  I will myself be very disapointed if the folder view do now show the SD card content !

Mar 15, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #2,979 of 14,773

Manufacturers usually test their devices with the biggest card on the market, and then they state this as the maximum, because they cannot really test whether anything bigger works. But there is nothing fundamentally different between the 128GB card and the 200GB other than capacity, so if a device can handle the 128GB card, it can likely handle larger ones, too. (Things were different with the old SD card standards which went to max 2GB and 32GB respectively, so devices built back then and adhering to those standards may have hard limits, but if a device can handle cards beyond that, then there is a chance it can go even bigger.)

That being said, yeah, the 200GB one is not available yet, so no one but Sandisk could test to be sure.

Mar 15, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #2,981 of 14,773
Have you met Goldilocks and the three bears? One Zx2 for home use, one A17 for gym use, and a second zx2 for backup. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I got my second zx2 via purolater only a day after ordering it. And they gave me $25 off. Currently doing battery tests on papa and mama bear using the same files and settings. So far it looks like the new one is doing better on battery so the old one will be sent back this week for refund.

Mar 15, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #2,982 of 14,773
Have you met Goldilocks and the three bears? One Zx2 for home use, one A17 for gym use, and a second zx2 for backup. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I got my second zx2 via purolater only a day after ordering it. And they gave me $25 off. Currently doing battery tests on papa and mama bear using the same files and settings. So far it looks like the new one is doing better on battery so the old one will be sent back this week for refund.

Jeeez man ! I admire your spirit. The ZX2 is truly an excellent DAP :D

Mar 15, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #2,983 of 14,773
Mar 15, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #2,985 of 14,773
^don't think that cable can perform digital music out, as in streaming pure digital,
all that cable can do is see the zx2 as a hard drive.
I hope I'm wrong.

it is to connect to the PHA 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back