SONY NW-ZX2
Mar 15, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #2,986 of 14,773
Mine is scheduled to be here on Tuesday. Will I be able to click and drag MP3's straight from iTunes on my iMac to the zx2, like you would with iPod touch, or will I have to download some Sony program first? I'm sorta neck deep in the apple infrastructure.

Mar 15, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #2,987 of 14,773
Mine is scheduled to be here on Tuesday. Will I be able to click and drag MP3's straight from iTunes on my iMac to the zx2, like you would with iPod touch, or will I have to download some Sony program first?

Drag and drop from your iTunes music folder to the ZX2 works fine. With Sony software, you can also transfer from your iTunes library.

Mar 15, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #2,989 of 14,773
I tried running zx2 through the digital out to nx1 topping amp, but it sounded worse. Shows you that the zx2 amp is very good and will need a very high quality external amp to even equal it.

Running the A17 with the topping sounds slightly better than the a17 alone.

I also noticed that running zx2 internal songs on bluetooth, streaming to my receiver, it stops playing every five to ten minutes and I need to hit play on the song again. Tried all settings 'priority sound quality', 'priority connection'. Made no difference. Anyone else tried bluetooth?

Mar 15, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #2,990 of 14,773
I tried running zx2 through the digital out to nx1 topping amp, but it sounded worse. Shows you that the zx2 amp is very good and will need a very high quality external amp to even equal it.

Running the A17 with the topping sounds slightly better than the a17 alone.

I also noticed that running zx2 internal songs on bluetooth, streaming to my receiver, it stops playing every five to ten minutes and I need to hit play on the song again. Tried all settings 'priority sound quality', 'priority connection'. Made no difference. Anyone else tried bluetooth?

try getting the Oppo HA-2

Mar 15, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #2,991 of 14,773
I am in France & Belgium, so If I want to get a ZX2 WITHOUT the volume cap, do I need to buy it in japan for example (from PriceJapan) ? but.... in this case is the Firmware international (I do not want japanese UI only ! :rolleyes:  )

also, I have 3 questions:

- The 15mw output seems very weak....so, with a LCD-X do I need an external amp ?  

- I already own a HUGO DAC/AMP. So I wonder which will sound best with my LCD-X (balanced cable) headphone:  The HUGO or a PHA-3 ?   Any idea ?

- has someone already tested the 200Gb SanDisk in the ZX-2 ?  Is it fully supported ?

thanks

Lcd X will need better amping. If you already have a hugo - don't bother with the pha3

Mar 15, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #2,992 of 14,773
As I understand it, if you use ZX2 or any DAP for the matter and connect to an external amp, your ZX2 will be treated as a hard drive only ? Unless you use the 3.5 mm analog out ?

zx-2 will be treated as a hard drive if you connect it to DAC/AMP compo .... not a stand alone amplifier 
if you connected it to a stand alone amp with the line out connector it will be treated as storage and DAC without the amplification  

Mar 15, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #2,993 of 14,773
I think I'm pretty much decided to go with the ZX1 or 2 based on screen size. I don't care about Android or steroid or any oid, all I want is a good DAP. No, I want an excellent DAP. When looking at the specs between the 2 players not a great deal jumps out at me to say the sound quality on the ZX2 should be noticeably better. Is it safe to say that the main differences are for those who want to stream music and other user convenience features? I am willing to invest in the ZX2, that isn't the issue, but if the money is mostly going into non-audio, convenience features I would then save a bunch and get a ZX1. Your input is really appreciated folks.

Mar 15, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #2,994 of 14,773
  I think I'm pretty much decided to go with the ZX1 or 2 based on screen size. I don't care about Android or steroid or any oid, all I want is a good DAP. No, I want an excellent DAP. When looking at the specs between the 2 players not a great deal jumps out at me to say the sound quality on the ZX2 should be noticeably better. Is it safe to say that the main differences are for those who want to stream music and other user convenience features? I am willing to invest in the ZX2, that isn't the issue, but if the money is mostly going into non-audio, convenience features I would then save a bunch and get a ZX1. Your input is really appreciated folks.

Well, I don't consider myself an audiophile. In fact, I upgraded from the ZX1 to the ZX2 because of the technical advancements (SD card + increased battery life). But I can say without a doubt that the ZX2 is substantially better than the ZX1, sonically.

Now, is it worth effectively doubling the price? Eh, can't help you answer that one.

Mar 15, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #2,995 of 14,773
^ The zx2 is an excellent choice, it is a refined zx1, (taking audio to a new level), basically taking the zx1 and beafing it up in audio quality in every way, and creating a very capable DAP, I haven't owned the zx1,and it didn't interest me much, apart from its good looks.
Zx2 on the other hand is a very different sounding DAP, it keeps impressing me constantly, in a way I am rediscovering my music collection once again.
Deafenetly worth the extra quid$, if you don't mind the extra weight.

This is going to be known as a legendary DAP in the future, if not already in my opinion, that's for sure.

Mar 15, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #2,996 of 14,773
Just curious question; if money wasn't really an issue, what else can I look into to get maybe better sound?  Not really asking for brands and what not but, just what can I do / buy in general.  

I have AMP, if I want to drive more powerful cans
I upgraded my cables to muc1 on the Z5

Mar 15, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #2,997 of 14,773
Like I said...even if ZX2 is only 20 cents more on top of the $100 (zx2 improvements on top of zx1) it is still worth it, and is still and improvement. In real life, if you are short of 20 cents then you don't have enough money.......and when you don't have enough, people will careless about how would you labor out for that 20 cents.

So in this case, the improvements on the Zx2 is audible, and it is indeniable an improvement in sound quality......so people will careless of how much it cost, but if it satisfy them, then that improvement is worth the extra cost.

Then the question is....does ZX2 satisfy your sound quality needs as a DAP ? To me, and some others, the ZX2 is worth twice it price point....and even more. Example of the ZX2 SQ is slightly better than AK240 @ $2400.

Mar 15, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #2,998 of 14,773
I can't believe Sony will not divulge info on what kind of glass this is, or if it is even scratch resistant. Sounds to me like the glass cannot be very good if they refuse to answer questions. For a $1300 dap, this seems ludicrous. I'd like to know if it is necessary to buy a screen protector.

You might have a point there. Sony is notorious for trying to avoid paying royalties or a license to use parts, sockets or whatever. This is why they come up with propriety input power/transfer sockets, S Master amp, lack of USB3 and in this case Gorilla glass. Why not do it yourself and make more money.

I am in France & Belgium, so If I want to get a ZX2 WITHOUT the volume cap, do I need to buy it in japan for example (from PriceJapan) ? but.... in this case is the Firmware international (I do not want japanese UI only ! 
rolleyes.gif
 )

Yes Japan or Oceania only without volume cap although you get to choose between Japanese or English in the Japan/Australia versions or relevant Asian tongues for Asia destinations.

also, I have 3 questions:

- The 15mw output seems very weak....so, with a LCD-X do I need an external amp ?  

- I already own a HUGO DAC/AMP. So I wonder which will sound best with my LCD-X (balanced cable) headphone:  The HUGO or a PHA-3 ?   Any idea ?

Yes you need an amp, since you own the Hugo you need nothing else.

- has someone already tested the 200Gb SanDisk in the ZX-2 ?  Is it fully supported ?

It should work since the standards has not changed for this format size. Manufacturers state the biggest currently available and state this as a maximum to cover themselves from liability.
...........as stated below by 'Zakalwe'.

thanks

Manufacturers usually test their devices with the biggest card on the market, and then they state this as the maximum, because they cannot really test whether anything bigger works. But there is nothing fundamentally different between the 128GB card and the 200GB other than capacity, so if a device can handle the 128GB card, it can likely handle larger ones, too. (Things were different with the old SD card standards which went to max 2GB and 32GB respectively, so devices built back then and adhering to those standards may have hard limits, but if a device can handle cards beyond that, then there is a chance it can go even bigger.)

That being said, yeah, the 200GB one is not available yet, so no one but Sandisk could test to be sure.

+1

Mar 15, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #2,999 of 14,773
Like I said...even if ZX2 is only 20 cents more on top of the $100 (zx2 improvements on top of zx1) it is still worth it, and is still and improvement. In real life, if you are short of 20 cents then you don't have enough money.......and when you don't have enough, people will careless about how would you labor out for that 20 cents.??????????????????????

So in this case, the improvements on the Zx2 is audible, and it is indeniable an improvement in sound quality......(1) so people will careless of how much it cost, but if it satisfy them, then that improvement is worth the extra cost.

Then the question is....does ZX2 satisfy your sound quality needs as a DAP ? To me, (2) and some others, the ZX2 is worth twice it price point....and even more. (3) Example of the ZX2 SQ is slightly better than AK240 @ $2400.

1. Speak for yourself.
2. Name one other person here who would pay double Sony's current asking price.
3. Only two people that I know here have stated in their opinion that it might sound better than the Ak2400 this hardly makes for a consensus and that price of $2400 is ridiculous and unjustifiable.

Mar 15, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #3,000 of 14,773
1. Speak for yourself.
2. Name one other person here who would pay double Sony's current asking price.
3. Only two people that I know here have stated in their opinion that it might sound better than the Ak2400 this hardly makes for a consensus and that price of $2400 is ridiculous and unjustifiable.

what I want to say here is that....if you are satisfied and happy ? Then buy it. If you are neither happy nor satisfied or either one...then don't buy the ZX2. There is no point of criticizing, or justifying the cost implied by Sony on their products....

Anyways, I am going to stop on this off topic (sound quality differences from zx1-zx2 vs cost differences)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back