SONY NW-ZX2
Mar 15, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #2,941 of 14,773
Hi guys,

I had the pleasure of trying the ZX2 at a local store today and got utterly poisoned by its sound, so much so that I'm looking to buy one later in the year. The only gripe I have with it is the damn proprietary WM-port connector. Just a few questions,

1. Has anyone tested if the ZX2 has a USB 3 enabled connection? Would make large music transfers much more bearable.
2. Where can one get spare cables for these? Do those generic walkman cables on eBay work with these or must I pony up for the Sony one which is many times the cost?

Thanks! Hopefully I'll be joining your ranks soon.

Mar 15, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #2,942 of 14,773
old post

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #2,943 of 14,773
do you mean the zx2 connect to a wifi hotspot?

your tablet 4G should be able to create hotspot and then zx2 connect to its wifi right?
old post

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #2,944 of 14,773
  Hi. Thanks for the reply. No I was thinking about when commuting or traveling where no steady Wi-Fi network is available. My 4G network is always available and quite good. Today I can Bluetooth tether my very limited data plan phone to my unlimited data plan tablet. Works like a charm. I was wondering if Sony allows for Bluetooth tethering to the NW-ZX2. For me this function would make the NW-ZX2 with Spotify and Digitally Imported Premium entirely independent of Wi-Fi networks at no extra cost.

is your phone able to create a wifi hotspot and share out your data plan? if yes..then you can share it to your tablet and then zx2 also can use the wifi hotspot/tether from your phone..since zx2 is able to use any wifi to function...

Mar 15, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #2,945 of 14,773
  Hi. Thanks for the reply. No I was thinking about when commuting or traveling where no steady Wi-Fi network is available. My 4G network is always available and quite good. Today I can Bluetooth tether my very limited data plan phone to my unlimited data plan tablet. Works like a charm. I was wondering if Sony allows for Bluetooth tethering to the NW-ZX2. For me this function would make the NW-ZX2 with Spotify and Digitally Imported Premium entirely independent of Wi-Fi networks at no extra cost.

I think you misunderstood. Nowadays devices are phasing out the concept of Bluetooth tethering. Instead a phone or 3G/4G tablet creates it's own unique WiFi hotspot. So for example, on my phone, I go into a menu that says "Create WiFi Hotspot" and I create my own network called "MyNet". This WiFi network is password locked so only your own devices can connect to it. Then you simply go to the ZX2 and join your own WiFi network, and voila, you have 3G/4G access on your ZX2.

Mar 15, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #2,948 of 14,773

Thanks Steven!  I was actually just reading your review that I can across online when you replied :).  Good reading.
So I guess it's safe to say if you were choosing between the Astell & Kern AK100ii and the Sonly ZX2, you would go for the ZX2?

Thanks!

ZX2 #winning without even a second thought pertaining to audio quality. Output is not as much as AK, yet considering I tend to use CIEMs and higher-efficiency cans, output power is not an issue with the ZX2. My Audeze LCD-3 custom 1 of 1 Steampunk edition will ALWAYS need a healthy amp to drive 'em.

1. Has anyone tested if the ZX2 has a USB 3 enabled connection? Would make large music transfers much more bearable.
2. Where can one get spare cables for these? Do those generic walkman cables on eBay work with these or must I pony up for the Sony one which is many times the cost?.

Digital out according to OPPO via the WMC-NWH10. It is USB 2. Looking forward to USB-C being the standard (100MB/s connection), which will be appearing in many devices in the coming months/years.

I have a question concerning the proprietary 22 pin connector. Does anybody know if one can get a digital out from that?

See above and have a WMC-NWH10 on its way to me from Japan eBay seller (and $100 flip open leather case too as hate the stock leather case... plus am such a sucker for chachkies LOL!).

Mar 15, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #2,949 of 14,773

ZX2 #wining without even a second thought.

Digital out according to OPPO via the WMC-NWH10. It is USB 2. Looking forward to USB-C being the standard (100MB/s connection), which will be appearing in many devices in the coming months/years.

See above and have a WMC-NWH10 on its way to me from Japan eBay seller (and $100 flip open leather case too. I'm such a sucker for chachkies LOL!).

I have the case already. It is much more a "leather" case than the bundled one. It smells like leather, and feels like leather and is "nearly" free of imperfections (lines in the leather, nicks etc) which is a tall order for a natural material. The leather wraps as a single piece all the way from the front flap, right around to the back and then back up the right side. Obviously being leather, it doesn't always shape absolutely perfectly as it stretches, so a black rubber compound is used to fill small gaps along seam edges. Even the top is a piece of leather. I can see why it costs so much. However the negative is that provides nothing to cover the bottom or a good part of the right side (to keep connectors and buttons exposed). So you wouldn't put this in your pocket with a bunch of keys or coins for example. Also, as the leather is fundamentally a single piece, you cannot fold the flap back on itself (well I guess you could force it but I wouldn't as it will likely badly crease the leather)....

SO if you are buying the cable, the case etc....are you going to buy one of those "Premium Audio" Micro SD cards too?! :wink:

Mar 15, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #2,951 of 14,773
  Thanks to both for the information. The adapter seems odd, but as soon as it works I would not mind. I have found also the WMP-NWM10, which is a more compact adapter to UBS. Do you know if WMP-NWM10 and WMC-NWH10 provide the same output functionality ?

I thought the mini one was only for connecting a regular USB phone charger.....(so you don't have take an extra cable when going on holiday)

Mar 15, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #2,952 of 14,773
Thx for leather case info, good to know it is nice.. especially for $100.

As for the Sony memory card, well, I asked Sony (USA) for a NW-ZX2 player quite a few months ago and got tired of waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and they were responsive and polite about the wait. So after hearing how awesome it was i just bought it while in Singapore about a month ago from their 313 @ Somerset company store. As for the memory card, I REFUSE to buy it. Sony has to send a review sample (which i'll gladly send back after review) or I'm not going to bother trying/reviewing it. Technically, as an engineer, I can see how lowering the electronic noise output could help reduce the situation of spurious noise affecting other circuits. As for if what is measureable leads to an audible improvement is anyone's guess pertaining to said DUT (device under test) being used within the Sony NW-ZX2 (or any other) DAP. Am very much interested in trying it, so the proverbial ball is in Sony's court and their USA rep is well-aware of my interest in receiving one for review purposes.

Mar 15, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #2,953 of 14,773

Asked Sony if it was Gorilla glass and they chose not answer.

This is the 'Balanced' story all over again. If Sony did intend to implement a true balanced output and now with this 'Gorilla" glass question they would have advertised these selling points again and again.
No Gorilla glass period.

Mar 15, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #2,954 of 14,773
...It is USB 2. Looking forward to USB-C being the standard (100MB/s connection), which will be appearing in many devices in the coming months/years.

Aw bummer. Oh well. Thanks for the info! How fast/slow are transfers using the USB connection?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back