SONY NW-ZX2
Mar 14, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #2,911 of 14,773
I'm getting the overall impression that you guys seem to be very happy with the ZX2. Is there anyone here who's disappointed with the ZX2 (especially in terms of SQ)? If so, why?

By the way, I'm an owner of the ZX1. Some comparisons wouldn't go amiss.

The reason why I'm asking is because I happen to be eligible for a nice tax refund, I'm just considering my options...
biggrin.gif

Whereas others would have probably declared me insane, I believe that you can understand my urge to purchase a new DAP.
redface.gif

Thanks in advance!

L3000.gif

Mar 14, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #2,912 of 14,773
  More impressions would be nice guys.  I'm not going to purchase the ZX2 just yet but will do that in the future.  To those people who think about upgrading a DAP, they might have a better bang for bucks by upgrading to higher end earphones instead.  I noticed that several people in this thread spent nearly $1200 on the ZX2 but still using a mid-grade earphones.  I think these same people will be able to get better sound from something like the ZX1/A17 + $1000 IEMs than ZX2+$300 earphones.     I adopted to upgrade my original JH13pro to JH13pro FreqPhase for $350 first and that is the best bang for the bucks so far in my DAP and IEMs journey.    

Yeah, I'm still researching it also, though I have K10's so I probably won't upgrade (if there even is one) in that area for a very long time.  Seems like maybe new owners are getting past the 100 hour burn in now, so new impressions would be great!  Thanks!

Mar 14, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #2,913 of 14,773
  Trance is wrong about being able to use a 3 pole plug on a 4 pole balanced out jack. It shorts the 2 down phase channels of the amp against each other or misses connecting to one entirely. Regardless of how it's wired, two channels will short. If it's a 4 pole connector with both pins closest to the opening wired to a common ground it will work with anything but still be single ended performance with a balanced headphone that fits with the same wiring scheme. That's actually a nice touch that eliminates the need for an adapter or different cable
smile.gif
. There is no issue using it as an input or if the extra leg is a control pin as long as the jack is wired with the first two pins as channel pos. There's a very good reason the AK and Sony use different connectors for balanced out, The issue is that there is no standard but you can't use one jack for both balance and single ended out. Sorry if this has already been completely covered. 

You can use one jack if the TRRS is as you state, + on the tip and 1st ring and if you have a switch for balanced and SE but that is risky and would not go there. You could also have a sensing network to change the output but that is more work and then you have to hope it doesn't go bad. Even with this in mine, I think the Sony solution of using 2 TRS is backwards. I know iBasso was going to do this years ago on their balanced amp but decided against. To me the highest or one of the highest quality output for balanced is the Hirose but it hasn't been widely accepted, mostly due to cost, IMO. A 3.5  TRRS seems to work but you have to rely on a person not putting in the wrong plug. Well, with two TRS that most likely won't happen. :^)

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #2,914 of 14,773

You can use one jack if the TRRS is as you state, + on the tip and 1st ring and if you have a switch for balanced and SE but that is risky and would not go there. You could also have a sensing network to change the output but that is more work and then you have to hope it doesn't go bad. Even with this in mine, I think the Sony solution of using 2 TRS is backwards. I know iBasso was going to do this years ago on their balanced amp but decided against. To me the highest or one of the highest quality output for balanced is the Hirose but it hasn't been widely accepted, mostly due to cost, IMO. A 3.5  TRRS seems to work but you have to rely on a person not putting in the wrong plug. Well, with two TRS that most likely won't happen. :^)

Is there a standard wiring set up for a 3.5 TRRS jack?  If I was going to use one on the Sony, would I have to specify to a cable maker that Tip and Ring 1 is positive?

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #2,915 of 14,773
I'm getting the overall impression that you guys seem to be very happy with the ZX2. Is there anyone here who's disappointed with the ZX2 (especially in terms of SQ)? If so, why?

The reason why I'm asking is because I happen to be eligible for a nice tax refund, I'm just considering my options...:D
Whereas others would have probably declared me insane, I believe that you can understand my urge to purchase a new DAP. :xf_eek:

Thanks in advance!

:L3000:

ZX1 owner here, with I think one of the earlier US Sony deliveries - burning in for about 36 hours now. It's clear that that's not long enough for it to stabilize, so I'll wait for any detailed impressions. But so far:

I love the ZX1, but this is better in every way. A definite step or two up in design and build quality. The sound is simply amazing. It has even more of that great ZX1 detail and clarity without its faint digital edge, and with more air, layering, and extension. The bass extension, especially so far, is extraordinary. Have been listening mostly with MG6PROs.

Really happy now and looking forward to rest of burn-in. But the bottom lines of the previous reviews seem right, this one is special.

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #2,916 of 14,773

The reason why I'm asking is because I happen to be eligible for a nice tax refund, I'm just considering my options...:D
Whereas others would have probably declared me insane, I believe that you can understand my urge to purchase a new DAP. :xf_eek:

Thanks in advance!

:L3000:

My comparo to the ZX1:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/1785#post_11353928

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #2,917 of 14,773

Is there a standard wiring set up for a 3.5 TRRS jack?  If I was going to use one on the Sony, would I have to specify to a cable maker that Tip and Ring 1 is positive?

There is no standard. On the Sony for the TRRS it is tip + L, 1st ring +R, 2nd ring L ground, sleeve R ground. This is the same for balanced hookup to the HiFiman. But sadly, there is no standard. 

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #2,918 of 14,773

Come here to check out the customized jack for ZX2

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ranko-acoustic

Mar 14, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #2,919 of 14,773
Originally Posted By barbes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ZX1 owner here, with I think one of the earlier US Sony deliveries - burning in for about 36 hours now. It's clear that that's not long enough for it to stabilize, so I'll wait for any detailed impressions. But so far:
I love the ZX1, but this is better in every way. A definite step or two up in design and build quality. The sound is simply amazing. It has even more of that great ZX1 detail and clarity without its faint digital edge, and with more air, layering, and extension. The bass extension, especially so far, is extraordinary. Have been listening mostly with MG6PROs.
Really happy now and looking forward to rest of burn-in. But the bottom lines of the previous reviews seem right, this one is special.

Quote:
My comparo to the ZX1:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/1785#post_11353928

Great, that's what I've been waiting for. Apparently it does pay off to keep up with this thread every once in a while...
biggrin.gif

I love the fact that Sony actually encourages you to burn in your DAP and that it also improves the sound quality, which I always
thought was a myth. Maybe I will give this device a shot when the Euro regains some strength against the Yen.

wink_face.gif

Mar 14, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #2,922 of 14,773
I found this with more internal pictures.  Not sure if anyone posted yet.

http://singaporehifi.blogspot.tw/2015/03/sony-walkman-nw-zx2.html

Mar 14, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #2,924 of 14,773
Mar 14, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #2,925 of 14,773

on this matter, can we plug 4pole trrs into 3pole trs?

Nothing will be dangerous but I suspect a 4 pole plug into a 3 pole jack would have a difficult time contacting both grounds on the plug. Which woul result in one channel not player.

and what will happen if i connect a headphone splitter (for the sharing is caring users) into my walkman and i connect a balanced audio cable to each jack of the Y splitter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back