SONY NW-ZX2
Feb 25, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #1,831 of 14,773
Where would it be ? I know it is on screen just like any phone
biggrin.gif
but I fail to see any led indicator around the body yet

I know most Sony only show the LED if the battery is running out or during charging.

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #1,832 of 14,773

The ZX2 does not have the dual mono 3.5mm outs like the PHA-3.  This cable is not compatible with ZX2
  the plug of the zx-2 is like that( the TRRS one ) in balanced : 

Interesting.  I thought it wasn`t possible : won`t inserting a single-ended 3.5 TRS plug into a TRRS output cause it to short?  Isn`t that why AK used different outputs for SE and balanced?  3.5 and 2.5 balanced, to prevent people from accidentally inserting a SE plug into the balanced output? 

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #1,833 of 14,773

Interesting.  I thought it wasn`t possible : won`t inserting a single-ended 3.5 TRS plug into a TRRS output cause it to short?  Isn`t that why AK used different outputs for SE and balanced?  3.5 and 2.5 balanced, to prevent people from accidentally inserting a SE plug into the balanced output? 

My understanding is that there would be two separated ground line if ZX2 really has a TRRS female plug, but not symmetrical drive. So plugging in a male TRS won't hurt.

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #1,834 of 14,773
I get seperate L/R channel w/ HiFiMAN RE-600.. The right channel is no longer muted like when connected to non-balanced-suppored players. And I am sure it is stereo, not dual mono, because my test track confirmed it. Is it a true balanced setting? I do not know. That will be the question of the month! At least we can use RE-600 w/o the converter anymore..

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #1,837 of 14,773
So after trying it with my own music, I decided to get the ZX2.
However, as I expected, the power is really at the edge of enough for my headphones when playing low volumes recordings.

There is a DSP to reduce volume changes between tracks, which for those lower volume level recordings does increase the volume high enough. However it works on a track by track basis, so when listening to classical music, tracks of quieter volume will be pushed to the same volume as more energic parts.
What I would really need is some DSP which for a full album or playlist, will boost the volume of the full set of tracks as much as possible while avoiding clipping of the louder bits.

Is there a separate player that could fit the bill while making full use of the high res files I have?

Alternatively, I was wondering if using the EQ and increase the full frequency spectrum of the same amount would decrease the sound quality or really just increase the volume.

But in any case, this is a great piece of equipment: great sound and great built, while still sufficiently pocketable (more than most phone + dac/amp combo)

Cheers,
Cedric

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #1,838 of 14,773
So after trying it with my own music, I decided to get the ZX2.
However, as I expected, the power is really at the edge of enough for my headphones when playing low volumes recordings.

There is a DSP to reduce volume changes between tracks, which for those lower volume level recordings does increase the volume high enough. However it works on a track by track basis, so when listening to classical music, tracks of quieter volume will be pushed to the same volume as more energic parts.
What I would really need is some DSP which for a full album or playlist, will boost the volume of the full set of tracks as much as possible while avoiding clipping of the louder bits.

Is there a separate player that could fit the bill while making full use of the high res files I have?

Alternatively, I was wondering if using the EQ and increase the full frequency spectrum of the same amount would decrease the sound quality or really just increase the volume.

But in any case, this is a great piece of equipment: great sound and great built, while still sufficiently pocketable (more than most phone + dac/amp combo)

Cheers,
Cedric
What headphones are you using please?

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #1,840 of 14,773
I am using the ESW10 Japan, which I often use and go to about 60 percent of volume. I am surprised that the Ed. 8 aren't getting enough power. I think I will try my Edition 9. 
-----

On balanced, I don't understand why Sony says nothing about this. I was using my phones balanced and I noticed the amp section of the ZX2, got much warmer (you could feel the case getting warmer) as in pulling more current. Even though I have seen the socket showing 4 wires, it would be nice to hear from Sony about this. But, you do get true stereo though I need to let my ZX2 burn in so I can more easily hear the differences. Also using the line out adapter works well but I will only use right angle fittings as I have no desire to inadvertently applying heavy leverage on the socket. 

Feb 25, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #1,841 of 14,773
Out of curiosity again, I tried the volume boost trick on ZX2, compared to ZX1 the SQ of ZX2 did not degrade as much as that on ZX1, my Z7 can be well driven with volume lower than 50%, if you guys found your phone seems have not enough juice out of stock setting ZX2, just try this trick to see if the raw power of ZX2 can drive your phone well.

Feb 25, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #1,842 of 14,773
I am using the ESW10 Japan, which I often use and go to about 60 percent of volume. I am surprised that the Ed. 8 aren't getting enough power. I think I will try my Edition 9. 
----

I am getting enough volume from the HDTracks tracks for example but for some of my CD rips, in a busy I would prefer louder.

When I play those CD on my speaker system, I also need to turn the volume knob higher than for others.

So basically I would just find some smart volume boost DSP that could utilise the full dynamic range spectrum of the amp.

Feb 25, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #1,843 of 14,773
I am getting enough volume from the HDTracks tracks for example but for some of my CD rips, in a busy I would prefer louder.

When I play those CD on my speaker system, I also need to turn the volume knob higher than for others.

So basically I would just find some smart volume boost DSP that could utilise the full dynamic range spectrum of the amp.

I am glad I made a quality adapter for an external amp, though this isn't the way I wanted to go. I find that there are times when the ZX2 doesn't have enough power and wonder why they sacrificed power. My only conclusion is that they have channeled this towards IEM's and longer run time. 

Feb 25, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #1,844 of 14,773
It just occurred to me. Does the ZX-2 use USB3.0 or 2.0 for file transfers to its internal memory? The ZX-1 uses 2.0 which I find painfully slow. I seem to recall reading somewhere that it is a limitation of the Android version used?

Feb 25, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #1,845 of 14,773

I am glad I made a quality adapter for an external amp, though this isn't the way I wanted to go. I find that there are times when the ZX2 doesn't have enough power and wonder why they sacrificed power. My only conclusion is that they have channeled this towards IEM's and longer run time. 

I would use a new dap for iems.  Do you have any thoughts on the sq compared to the AK240?  I'm starting to see used 240's for sale now and am still on the fence about pursuing that or looking at a new ZX2.  Thanks for your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back