SONY NW-ZX2
Feb 25, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #1,816 of 14,773
  I had made a line out adapter that goes at a right angle rather than straight out with some nice high end cables and glad that it works. I don't understand why most adapters go straight out on portable gear. It just gives that much more of a chance to get hit and the leverage will ruin the connector or the input of the portable unit. 

When yours is properly burn in I would like to hear your thought on it against the DX100.  I briefly own the DX100 and really love the sound.  Absolutely dislike its bugs though.  Mine was crashing constantly and refuse to play some 192khz files.

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #1,817 of 14,773
  When yours is properly burn in I would like to hear your thought on it against the DX100.  I briefly own the DX100 and really love the sound.  Absolutely dislike its bugs though.  Mine was crashing constantly and refuse to play some 192khz files.

Sure will. I have read of some having problems with the DX100, not many but a few, but I never have had a problem. I did replace the battery a while back but it had many, many hours on it. It still sounds great compared to the top daps but will burn in the ZX2 and compare. 

Playing some DSD right now. I was also running my TRRS but I can't tell at this time if the ZX2 is balanced or not. All my phones are balanced using the Hirose so I have made connectors for most any socket you can imagine using very high quality cable. 

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #1,818 of 14,773
  Sure will. I have read of some having problems with the DX100, not many but a few, but I never have had a problem. I did replace the battery a while back but it had many, many hours on it. It still sounds great compared to the top daps but will burn in the ZX2 and compare. 

Playing some DSD right now. I was also running my TRRS but I can't tell at this time if the ZX2 is balanced or not. All my phones are balanced using the Hirose so I have made connectors for most any socket you can imagine using very high quality cable. 

Thanks in advance.  I made several balanced connectors as well, but will need to make one if I ever buy the ZX2.  

Feb 25, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #1,819 of 14,773
  Double Helix does.  Just pick the 3.5mm Pono option.  Moon-Audio list the option for as dual 3.5mm for PHA-3.

but Z2 doesn't have 3.5mm balanced outputs.  We are talking about Z2 here right?

http://store.sony.com/128-gb-walkman-hi-res-digital-music-player-zid27-NWZX2BLK/cat-27-catid-All-MP3-Players?_t=pfm%3Dcategory

Feb 25, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #1,820 of 14,773
 I was also running my TRRS but I can't tell at this time if the ZX2 is balanced or not. All my phones are balanced using the Hirose so I have made connectors for most any socket you can imagine using very high quality cable. 

The connector on the NW-ZX2 will work with both normal unbalanced and balanced headphone cable (plug 'n' play, as I said within my review on EnjoyTheMusic.com) and it has been tested. The jack uses different ground planes and this has been verified using a test rig. As for if it is TRULY balanced on the amplification section, already have an e-mail to Sony engineers and waiting back for their verification. And yes, I do hear some minor benefits when using balanced cable versus unbalanced yet am trying to be VERY CAUTIOUS here before stating it is fully balanced from the DAC to amplifier in writing/review until I get confirmation from the Sony engineers. None of the literature or their websites (SG, JP, USA, etc) even mentions the use of balanced headphones cables.

So yes separate grounds yet not sure on the DAC-to-amp circuitry.

Feb 25, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #1,821 of 14,773
^ The dac through to amp circuitry is balanced on the ZX2, its been discussed before. We were only waiting for confirmation that the 3.5mm socket was wired for balanced, which you have confirmed with testing for dual grounds.

So hurrah, we have evidence that ZX2 is fully balanced now.

Feb 25, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #1,822 of 14,773
My zx2 came in the mail a few days ago and I've been working on getting it burned-in. My old zx1 looks and sounds ridiculously puny compared to the awesome monstrosity that is zx2.

In any case, what player are you guys using? I do like the stock player, but I really hate how there's a very noticeable lag when scrolling down the library. Poweramp, on the otherhand, is butter-smooth, but it doesn't sound as good as the stock. Do you guys have any recommendations?

Feb 25, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #1,823 of 14,773
^ The dac through to amp circuitry is balanced on the ZX2, its been discussed before. We were only waiting for confirmation that the 3.5mm socket was wired for balanced, which you have confirmed with testing for dual grounds.

So hurrah, we have evidence that ZX2 is fully balanced now.

Thanks for confirming :)

Feb 25, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #1,824 of 14,773
Pardon my ignorance, but what do these 3.5mm balanced plugs look like?  3.5 TRRS like the Hifiman plug?

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #1,825 of 14,773
  Pardon my ignorance, but what do these 3.5mm balanced plugs look like?  3.5 TRRS like the Hifiman plug?

Not too sure about the hifiman, but it should look like the headset that you will get with most smartphone with 4 contact point/3 plastic ring.

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #1,826 of 14,773
Feb 25, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #1,829 of 14,773

does zx-2 has a battery indicator led ? it is mentioned in their official website  

Where would it be ? I know it is on screen just like any phone
biggrin.gif
but I fail to see any led indicator around the body yet

I know most Sony only show the LED if the battery is running out or during charging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back